Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

Re: What do you most hope for in local dining in '14? Go!

by Matthew D » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I wish you all have to travel somewhere other than Louisville so that you realize how good you already have it.

But, if the man in charge tells you to state your wishes, then I can't blame you for doing so.

Based on the reviews I've read, my wish seems to be already developing. Here's wishing for more places that take side dishes seriously, especially those side dishes that aren't fried and/or made with potatoes. Someone want to bring Club Grotto back?
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Matthew D wrote:Here's wishing for more places that take side dishes seriously, especially those side dishes that aren't fried and/or made with potatoes. Someone want to bring Club Grotto back?

One word: Rye.

Four words: Korean roasted brussels sprouts.

Seriously, Rye has impressed me probably more with side dishes than any place since Club Grotto. If you haven't, Matthew, check it out!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:25 pm

James Natsis wrote:How about a small group of investors snatching up an old warehouse somewhere in the downtown vicinity to open a year round market. This seems like a simple enough concept. Even the folk in Charleston, WV managed to pull off a nice market. This could serve as a model for Louisville:

http://www.capitolmarket.Net/

I love this idea! We probably got a historic building somewhere :wink: that could be repurposed for this use without making preservationists upset. Looking at the list from the one in West Virginia, we actually have a lot of those businesses but they are spread out instead of concentrated in one location. Would be great to get them all in one place and maybe in a few places like Bluefin Seafood, Clearwater Lobsters and maybe even an outlet for Creation Gardens again!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Matthew D wrote:I wish you all have to travel somewhere other than Louisville so that you realize how good you already have it.

But, if the man in charge tells you to state your wishes, then I can't blame you for doing so.

Matthew, I hear ya. I almost started my post by saying how much we have to be thankful for and how lucky we are to live in such a stellar food town. But I figured that went without saying. You're right, though - we have a great thing going here. We are spoiled and still find ways to imagine how to make our offerings even better.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Here's wishing for more places that take side dishes seriously, especially those side dishes that aren't fried and/or made with potatoes. Someone want to bring Club Grotto back?

One word: Rye.

Four words: Korean roasted brussels sprouts.

Seriously, Rye has impressed me probably more with side dishes than any place since Club Grotto. If you haven't, Matthew, check it out!

That was the review I was thinking of Robin. I need to get there.

Antonia L wrote:
Matthew D wrote:I wish you all have to travel somewhere other than Louisville so that you realize how good you already have it.

Matthew, I hear ya. I almost started my post by saying how much we have to be thankful for and how lucky we are to live in such a stellar food town. But I figured that went without saying. You're right, though - we have a great thing going here. We are spoiled and still find ways to imagine how to make our offerings even better.

The big difference here is the number of chef-driven restaurants that pay attention to the smaller details.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Matthew D wrote:The big difference here is the number of chef-driven restaurants that pay attention to the smaller details.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one, Matthew. In my opinion, Louisville represents the size of a city that can support the chef-operated restaurants that are a bit more willing to take some chances.

That said, there are always gaps, places that we've experienced in other cities that would be "nice to have" here, aren't there? Hell, I'd love a place I could walk into and ask for my plate to be sauced "Christmas tree" (New Mexican) or that has sauerkraut soup and pieogies on the menu. Problem is, there's no guarantee that restaurants like that would find a significant enough following in Louisville to survive, let alone thrive.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Antonia L wrote:Matthew, I hear ya. I almost started my post by saying how much we have to be thankful for and how lucky we are to live in such a stellar food town. But I figured that went without saying. You're right, though - we have a great thing going here. We are spoiled and still find ways to imagine how to make our offerings even better.

Yeah, I hope I didn't sound negative, folks! I've been writing about food and wine in this town (with five years off in NYC in the '90s) for almost th- thi- thirty years, and I love all that's happened here. Each generation has stood on the shoulders of the giants who went before!

But I also feel that constant vigilance is the price of ... er ... great food, and I'd rather see us keep challenging our best to get better than to rest on our laurels and say, "Aw, we're so great, we can cool it now."

Is this so wrong? :oops:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:44 am

I'd like more in the the way of breakfast selections. Love Wild Eggs but when I drive to two different locations and they are both on long waits then I think we could support more in the way of options. Love North a End Cafe as well. Maybe something like that out here between 264 and 265 in the east.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am

Mark R. wrote:
James Natsis wrote:How about a small group of investors snatching up an old warehouse somewhere in the downtown vicinity to open a year round market. This seems like a simple enough concept. Even the folk in Charleston, WV managed to pull off a nice market. This could serve as a model for Louisville:

http://www.capitolmarket.Net/

I love this idea! We probably got a historic building somewhere :wink: that could be repurposed for this use without making preservationists upset. Looking at the list from the one in West Virginia, we actually have a lot of those businesses but they are spread out instead of concentrated in one location. Would be great to get them all in one place and maybe in a few places like Bluefin Seafood, Clearwater Lobsters and maybe even an outlet for Creation Gardens again!

Just a couple of months ago, I was standing in North Market in Columbus, thinking this would be a home run if someone could pull it off. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the capital. There are a couple of old trolley barns left that might work, and plenty of old factories and warehouses.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

A killer ramen bar that serves late night. Someone rip off momofuku please. Also, a reinvention at the Twig and Leaf so we can finally have a good late night or even 24 hr diner. It won't take much. Just simplify the menu with fresh, scratch made items. I hate seeing that place empty when it could be packed.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Carla G wrote:I'd like more in the the way of breakfast selections. Love Wild Eggs but when I drive to two different locations and they are both on long waits then I think we could support more in the way of options. Love North a End Cafe as well. Maybe something like that out here between 264 and 265 in the east.

Those are definitely good ideas. Have you been to Verbena out in Norton Commons? It's along the same line as Wild Eggs but a little different and normally a little less crowded. Of course there's always the Wild Eggs at Lake Forest. I really wish that they would stay open later, many times we like to have breakfast for dinner and they really aren't any options for that other than places like Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Just thought of another thing that would be great to have in Louisville: Korean fried chicken. Blew my mind the first time I had it. Bonchon http://www.bonchon.com/sub03/sub0301.php could open a franchise here (they already have 21 nationwide), or perhaps some local independent entrepreneur could spearhead the market. But I bet it would go over well, because it's sufficiently different to be exotic, while still familiar enough to have a natural market. Plus it's just good.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Those are definitely good ideas. Have you been to Verbena out in Norton Commons? It's along the same line as Wild Eggs but a little different and normally a little less crowded. Of course there's always the Wild Eggs at Lake Forest. I really wish that they would stay open later, many times we like to have breakfast for dinner and they really aren't any options for that other than places like Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans.[/quote]

(Sorry ?Mark! Just now saw this.)
No, I have not tried Verbena but the location is pretty good for me so I will be sure to. Thanks for the suggestion!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous