Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What do you most hope for in local dining in '14? Go!

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Mark R. wrote:How about a true New York Bagel bakery! Those of us who are fortunate enough to really know what they are know that the delicatessens that also sell bagels that we presently have aren't that close to the real thing.

True, although I'm pretty sure that even New York doesn't have New York bagels the way they used to be. :oops:

At least Baby D's brings in H&H frozen.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:19 pm

A great noodle/ramen place a la Momofuko Noodle or other NY noodle places.

An Italian trattoria or osteria serving the iItalian version of tapas/ antipasto and fantastic pastas. Nothing in Louisville comes close in casual Italian to what we've had in other cities.

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:How about a true New York Bagel bakery! Those of us who are fortunate enough to really know what they are know that the delicatessens that also sell bagels that we presently have aren't that close to the real thing.

True, although I'm pretty sure that even New York doesn't have New York bagels the way they used to be. :oops:

At least Baby D's brings in H&H frozen.

Robin,
This place still does in Bedford Stuyvesant
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ess-a-bagel-new-york-2
Promise! :D
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Deb Hall wrote:This place still does in Bedford Stuyvesant

Duly noted for our next trip back, Deb!

That said, this reply doesn't inspire confidence. I guess that's just Yelp, though ...

Some gourmet on Yelp wrote:"You must get a whole wheat everything with lox cream cheese."
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:This place still does in Bedford Stuyvesant

Duly noted for our next trip back, Deb!

That said, this reply doesn't inspire confidence. I guess that's just Yelp, though ...

Some gourmet on Yelp wrote:"You must get a whole wheat everything with lox cream cheese."

I think Ess a Bagel is pretty much on target.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:06 pm

:?: :?: .............Mnmmmmmm, man that's tough. I'm actually pretty jiggy with what we've got. I suppose in very general terms, I'd like to see more Eastside eateries. The restaurants we have (chain and local) are for the most part satisfactory but there is certainly room for more.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Robin,
We were there 1 1/2 years ago and they were outstanding. House cream cheese about an inch thick- line out the door. Kentucky - born Brian said " now I finally understand the big deal about NYC bagels!".
Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm with Adrian on Puerto Rican food. Some carne guisada....sorullos....arroz con gandules...tostones....frituras...alcapurrias......budín! .....abichuelas..... But i would give ANYTHING for some pasteles!

Sigh.....
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote: That said, this reply doesn't inspire confidence. I guess that's just Yelp, though ...

It certainly doesn't doesn't? :lol: Must be one of the type that don't really know what a traditional bagel really is let alone a bagel with lox and cream cheese (combining them into one element is not acceptable!).
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:39 am

I love what you do here Robin, but sometimes I have to /rolleyes at you...why must you try so hard?

So, not only can you not get a Bagel in Louisville, you now can't even get one in New York anymore? Where can you get one, then? It's truly a shame they quit making them correctly in NYC once you moved away, eh :?

I know you lived there for a bit...but I've been to NYC 9 times in the past 2.5 years...basically on foodie expeditions, and I can promise you there are plenty of worthwhile bagels to be had. In fact, they're pretty much ALL good. They're bagels. Are some better than others...? Sure, just like anything else.

What makes a damn bagel so special? It's boiled/baked bread, smothered with butter, "an inch of cream cheese" , lox, smoked sturgeon/herring...whatever your fancy......like pizza, but different. It's bread. Some do it better/different, but are any of them really that bad, or below your "taste"? Just this past trip I had EssABagel, Lox at Barney Greengrass & Russ & Daughters, and a few "generic" bagels from various cafes & street carts....I enjoyed them all.

Likewise, I like your greasy .99 corner slice at 2 Bros...and I've had Difara, Lombardis, Paulie Gees, Artichoke, Grimaldis, Best Pizza, Robertas, Motorino, Keste, Co., Don Antonio, John's, Joe's on Carmine, Bleeker St Pizza, Adrienne's, Patsy's, Tottono's, Lucali....and too many others to name. I'd guess you probably remember a neighborhood joint from your time time there in the 90s that would put ALL these legendary places to "shame"...just like your bagels.

Again, sometimes it just seems like you try too hard.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:52 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I love what you do here Robin, but sometimes I have to /rolleyes at you...why must you try so hard?

So, not only can you not get a Bagel in Louisville, you now can't even get one in New York anymore? Where can you get one, then? It's truly a shame they quit making them correctly in NYC once you moved away, eh :?

Well, hey, happy new year to you, too, Adrian! 8)

Thanks for the Slap of Reality ... sometimes I need that.

In fairness, though, a couple of points: The New York side of this Louisville boy runs a little deeper than 4 1/2 years spent living and working there in the '90s. I also worked summers there (city and Borscht Belt scout camps) as a teen in the '60s, and my bagel experience goes back that far.

I agree that things can't always be the way they used to be, but bagels - like a lot of other things - have taken a nose dive over the years because of factors that could have been controlled: The loss of aged artisans (okay, not so controllable), but also a move to industrialization and an assembly line and a focus on short-cuts and quick profit at the corporate level, eventually driving most hand-produing artisans out of the business. The quality difference shows, and I regret that.

As a critic, sorry if I get pushy some times, but on occasion it is best to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good, and to call for high quality even when it takes a little more effort to do that, and even if such a call goes unheeded because no one wants to bother to make the effort.

That seems to me a decent place to stand on New Year's Day 2014, but thanks for your attention. :lol:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:39 am

* There are sizable Burmese and Bhutanese communities here -- I would get pretty excited if they started any restaurants. (I hear an Afghan place may open soon btw.)

* I hope Beer Engine, Great Flood, Red Yeti -- and any other new microbreweries I'm forgetting -- find success. Can't wait to try their beers.

* I want to strongly second the hope that we get a Nashville-style hot chicken place.

* I wish Jeni's Ice Cream would open a shop here. They have them in Columbus and Nashville -- Louisville seems like a natural next step.

* Looking forward to the continued development of the restaurant scene in Germantown and into Schnitzelburg.

* I hope Meat reopens. Meta is nice, but the ambience isn't quite the same.

User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm

I am with Deb on wishing for a noodle shop to materialize here in town.

My other wish is for a good Greek restaurant. Not a Mediterranean restaurant that serves some Greek stuff, or an Ethiopian restaurant that serves some Greek stuff (both if which we have) but a dedicated Greek place.

I guess I might as well shoot for the moon here. A great Jewish deli. I'd really even settle for a decent Jewish deli.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Adding another: I want The Blind Pig back!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:00 pm

How about a small group of investors snatching up an old warehouse somewhere in the downtown vicinity to open a year round market. This seems like a simple enough concept. Even the folk in Charleston, WV managed to pull off a nice market. This could serve as a model for Louisville:

http://www.capitolmarket.net/
James J. Natsis
PreviousNext