Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Holiday lunch suggestions

no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Holiday lunch suggestions

by Robin F. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi Everyone - I'm coming to the experts. My team of three here at work has decided to treat ourselves to a nice holiday lunch instead of buying gifts. One of us is vegetarian and the two will eat anything. We work downtown, but are willing to get out of town for this lunch. Since we don't go much further than the 600 block of S. Fourth for lunch most days, our knowledge of what is open for lunch in other areas of downtown is limited. Cost is not really an object. Suggestions?

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

My Favs for something special.......

by Bill Veneman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 pm

Otto's lunch buffet down at the Seelbach, or J. Graham's buffet at the Brown.....both are top notch, fine dining buffets.....as a matter of fact, that's what my crew at the office does for special occasions is either one of these.......last time I was at the Brown it was in the $15 range, and well worth it......
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Holiday lunch suggestions

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Robin F. wrote:Hi Everyone - I'm coming to the experts. My team of three here at work has decided to treat ourselves to a nice holiday lunch instead of buying gifts. One of us is vegetarian and the two will eat anything. We work downtown, but are willing to get out of town for this lunch. Since we don't go much further than the 600 block of S. Fourth for lunch most days, our knowledge of what is open for lunch in other areas of downtown is limited. Cost is not really an object. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Robin, Saffron's (First and Market), Proof on Main (Seventh and Main) and Primo (East Market at ... Jackson?) all come to mind as outstanding options for a more upscale, celebratory lunch. Or if you don't mind driving out to Bardstown Road, Jack Fry's is open for lunch!
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:38 pm

I'd very much recommend The Mayan Cafe, particularly because you have a vegetarian in your group. My partner and I had a fantastic vegetarian meal there a few weeks ago and itching to go back.

While I'd like to second the Jack Fry's suggestion I find the menu rather short on vegetarian options. I'm a flexitarian, meaning I eat mostly vegetarian but occasionally eat meat, so I enjoy Jack Fry's but the only vegetarian entree I recall on the menu is a very heavy potato gratin type dish. I could be mistaken of course, that's just what I remember from the last time I was there.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:41 pm

The prix fixe lunch at Proof is outstanding if you enjoy eclectic tastes and the atmosphere is a great break from your normal workday lunch. (you can even make a quick trip through their museum collection for free). Can't speak on the veg options though....

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:09 am

Great Suggestions - Thanks everyone!
no avatar
User

Kelly Herre

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Crescent Hill, Louisville

The Oakroom

by Kelly Herre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:03 pm

The Oakroom will be open for holiday lunches December 14th and 19th-21st. The luncheon will be a combination of buffet of Salads, Soups and Desserts and an option of 4 different plated entrees. The cost is $25 per person.
Of course, our chefs can easily accomodate most vegetarians.
Reservations can be made by calling 807-3463.
Thanks!
Kelly
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Artemisia???

by jpdurbin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Johnathan P. Durbin