Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Bourbon Trail

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

The Bourbon Trail

by James Natsis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 am

I know a number of folk here have had a passion for bourbon forever. I'm a transplant from St. Louis and elsewhere who has grown to appreciate this treasure of a culture woven in the back hills of the surrounding region. This guestblog in Insider Louisville pretty well sums up my feelings..

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/ ... im-natsis/
James J. Natsis
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: The Bourbon Trail

by Gayle DeM » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Excellent article, Dr. Natsis. Thanks for sharing.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Nicely done, James! Thanks for sharing.

If you get a chance, go check out the recently opened Evan Williams experience on Main. I haven't been yet, but friends went last weekend and raved.
Deb
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am

Deb Hall wrote:Nicely done, James! Thanks for sharing.

If you get a chance, go check out the recently opened Evan Williams experience on Main. I haven't been yet, but friends went last weekend and raved.
Deb

Thanks Deb. I've been to the Evan Williams Experience (EWE) twice already, the 2nd time with an out-of-town friend on visit. Although a downtown experience can never capture the natural setting of the rural distilleries and the smell of mash brewing, EWE was nonetheless well worth the visit. They chose to emphasize the origins of Louisville's whiskey industry and the development of whiskey row. They also use interesting media techniques to entertain and inform the visitor. Heaven Hill (EWE's home company) also spends more attention to the art of tasting the bourbon than some of the other tours.

The bourbon, farm-to-table, and quality restaurant scene all share a commonality--much love, patience, and attention to detail. The mayor's recent initiative on developing this image for the city is ambitious, but quite exciting.
James J. Natsis
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:47 am

Heaven Hill's tasting at the distillery is an awesome event. It's both educational and they'll let you try the really expensive stuff. It's definitely worth the money.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Ron H wrote:Heaven Hill's tasting at the distillery is an awesome event. It's both educational and they'll let you try the really expensive stuff. It's definitely worth the money.

You're right--it sure is hard to beat the horseshoe bar out there in Bardstown. To Heaven Hill's credit, they created two era-themed tasting areas at Evan Williams here on Main St. The guides spend time exploring and quizzing visitors regarding aromas and tastes. During my two visits we tasted Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig 12 yr, and Larceny.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Al Ehrhardt

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 am

Re: The Bourbon Trail - April 2015

by Al Ehrhardt » Sun May 24, 2015 2:54 pm

After more than 30 years of bourbon drinking, finally made a trip to bourbon country. We visited eight distilleries and took tours at five. Overall, really glad we made the trip and wish I would have done it years ago.

While there is quite a bit of content overlap, if you are into bourbon, it still worth taking multiple tours. Walking around and smelling the old rick houses was very cool. Amazing to think the old wooden rick houses, with dirt floors and see thru exterior walls, could support the incredible weight of many thousands of barrels.

A bit disappointing that you can’t get any hard to get bottles at the distilleries. The only bottles available are the readily available products that you can find at any good liquor store. And as with wineries, the distillers do not want to get into pricing wars with their retail customers, so the pricing is full retail. This means you can usually get a better price at a retail store.

First tour was at Maker’s Mark. I drank a lot of Maker’s in the 80’s and 90’s, but now only when there isn’t much selection at a bar or restaurant. I would be a buyer of their cask strength, if it wasn’t priced at such a premium to get the extra proof.

This may have been my favorite tour. Very picturesque and a smaller operation than all of the other distilleries we visited, except Willet. While Maker’s is not really a small operation, it seems like a mom and pop business compared to most other KY distilleries. I only wish they would have some reasonably priced higher proof bourbon and would like to try some with additional age.

Willet Distillery or Kentucky Bourbon Distillers is also on a pretty piece of land. I really like what they are doing and hope the results pay off in a few years with the whiskeys that they distilled themselves. Tried their two year old rye, which is the first rye they distilled themselves, but felt it was too young. I love Noah’s Mill, one of their non-Willet brands.

I am a fan of Elijah Craig 12 year (and the 12 year cask strength which I was able to drink at a couple Louisville bars), so we stopped Heaven Hill’s Bourbon Heritage Center. Not much to see, but we didn’t have to go out of our way to get there.

We were advised by a few locals to pass on my plan to stop at Old Talbott Tavern for lunch and Mammy’s Kitchen was recommended. It gave us an opportunity to try Hot Browns for the first time. Mammy’s was good, but would try another place if in Bardstown again.

I’ve been drinking Knob Creek since I was introduced to it in the early to mid 90’s, so I had to visit Jim Beam Distillery. The tour was a bit commercial, but we did enjoy the touristy touch of bottling our own bottle of 120 proof single barrel Knob Creek. Even though they are made at a large operation, I love Knob, the single barrel Knob, and Booker’s and the fact that they are reasonably priced and available. In the current climate where it is impossible to find many of your favorite bourbons, I have to praise Beam for the availability of these great bourbons and their refusal to compromise on the age and proof.

Did a tour at Four Roses. Kind of in between the big industrial operations and a smaller producer. Since I enjoy their bourbon, we really had to include it. The Spanish architecture was unique for a KY distillery. Not that it matters, but it was the least expensive tour, most generous pours, and you get to keep the glass. Plus, everyone was very friendly and genuinely nice. If you weren’t a fan prior to the visit, my guess is most people would have a soft spot after the warm visit here.

Stopped at Wild Turkey and I recognized Jimmy Russell sitting in the tasting room, chatting with a couple of visitors. No signs or announcements, just Jimmy being available to meet loyal customers who recognized him. Didn’t take a tour here, but it wasn’t far from Four Roses.

Another quick stop at Woodford Reserve. Their bourbon isn’t something that I buy or drink very often, but heard that it was in a beautiful location. The grounds and surrounding area are maybe the most picturesque of all of the distilleries and I am glad we stopped. The tasting room just seemed too polished and corporate, decorated like a model home.

Lunch at Wallace Station was a good choice. I really enjoyed the Cubano and my wife like her burger. Washed them down with a Kentucky Kolsch and a Kentucky IPA. While the location seemed like it was in the middle of farms, it was jammed.

Last tour was the hard hat tour at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. I enjoy and drink many of the various brands distilled here, but didn’t expect the industrial, old factory operation. I was prepared for Beam, but not here. Didn’t realize they made Fireball along side Pappy… As someone who appreciates smaller, artisanal products seeing the operation that makes some of my favorite bourbons left me a bit sad. Walking up to the factory complex, you could envision soap or baby food or anything being made here.

Buffalo Trace
113 Great Buffalo Trace
Frankfort, KY 40601

Jim Beam
526 Happy Hollow Road
Clermont, Kentucky 40110
502-543-9877

Four Roses
1224 Bonds Mill Road
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky 40342
502-839-2655

Maker’s Mark
3350 Burkes Spring Road
Loretto, Kentucky 40037
270-865-2099

Willet Distillery/Kentucky Bourbon Distillers
1869 Loretto Road
Bardstown, KY 40004

Wild Turkey
1417 Versailles Road
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky 40342
502-839-2182

Bourbon Heritage Center - Heaven Hill
1311 Gilkey Run Road

Bardstown, KY 40004

502-337-1000

Woodford Reserve
7855 McCracken Pike
Versailles, Kentucky 40383
859-879-1812

Wallace Station
3854 Old Frankfort Pike
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Bourbon Trail - April 2015

by Robin Garr » Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 pm

Al Ehrhardt wrote:After more than 30 years of bourbon drinking, finally made a trip to bourbon country. We visited eight distilleries and took tours at five. Overall, really glad we made the trip and wish I would have done it years ago.

Splendid report, Al. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it!