Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

The Monkey Wrench

by DustinStaggers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 pm

It's been awhile since I posted anything on here but I wanted to let anyone who wasn't aware of the drastic changes we are going through at the Monkey Wrench.

First of all, the building has been completely redesigned. To be frank, its gorgeous looking with all of the bourbon barrel wood adorning our walls and bar.

I have completely revamped the menu into what I'm aptly calling Contemporary Hillbilly food. I have been having an incredible time cooking again. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Soups & Salads
Hot Brown Soup 6
Bourbon Brined Smoked Turkey, Green Onion Cream, House Cured Pepper Bacon, Heirloom Winter Cherry Tomatoes
Country Ham Salad 7
Heirloom Winter Cherry Tomatoes, Local Whipped Capriole Goat Cheese, Shaved Country Ham, Micro Basil, Anchovy Oil, Balsamic Vinegar
Burgoo 7 Release Date 12/19
Local Rabbit, Local Mutton, This is Kentucky So You Definitely Know the Rest
House Salad 7 Release Date 1/16
Seasonal Mixed Greens, Fried Oysters, House Cured Bacon, Roasted Wild Mushrooms, Shaved Celery, Whole Grain Mustard and Sweet Onion Vinaigrette

Appetizers
Fried Green Tomatoes 6
Pan Fried Fresh Green Tomatoes, House-made Bread Crumb Coating, Grilled Lemon Buttermilk Ranch
Cast Iron Banana Peppers 5
Cast Iron Blistered Banana Peppers, House Pimiento Cheese, Tri-Fecta BBQ Sauce
Butter Beans and Cornbread 5
Kentucky Classic, Butter Beans, House Smoked Ham Hock, Kenny’s Monterey Jack and Green Onion Cornbread
Hushpuppies 6
Blue Crab Hushpuppies, Rattlesnake Hill Farms Sweet Garlic Mustard, Country Ham Slaw
Chicken Livers 7 Release Date 12/26
Black Pepper Pan Fried Chicken Livers, Sautéed Onions, Red Eye Gravy, Pepper Jelly
Oysters Release Date 1/17
Raw 2 Each – Fresh Ground Horseradish, Tomato Jelly
Charbroiled 3 Each – Habanero Butter, Parsley, Pecorino Romano

Sandwiches
Served with House Cut French Fries
Signature Monkey Wrench Burger 9
Harned Ranch Ground Sirloin, Skirt Steak and Brisket, American Cheese, House Cured Black Pepper Bacon, Fried Spicy Pickles,
Pickled Red Onions, Creole Mustard Aioli, Nord’s Bakery Bun
Dirty South Hamburger 11
Harned Ranch Ground Sirloin, Skirt Steak and Brisket, Macaroni N Cheese, Fried Green Tomato,
Jalapeno and Tri-fecta BBQ Sauce Aioli, Nord’s Bakery Bun
Seafood Po’ Boy 10
Blackened Shrimp, Bolillo Bread, Krystal Green Tomatoes, Pickled Red Onions, Green Cabbage Slaw, Creole Aioli
Black Bean Hamburger 9 Release Date 12/12
Pureed Spiced Black Beans, Jalapenos, Roasted Onions, Fresh Herbs, Stewed Tomatoes, Basil Aioli, Nord’s Bakery Bun

Entrees
Served with Monkey Wrench Signature Cornbread made with Kenny’s Monterey Jack, Country Ham and Pork Belly Lardo and Green Onions
BBQ Shrimp 13
Atlantic Shrimp, BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout, Creole Cream, Worcestershire, Charred Green Onions
Fried Chicken 12
Butter and Flour Basted, Cast Iron Fried Chicken, Local Sorghum, Smoked Paprika, Fire Roasted Banana Pepper Aioli, Elderberry Jam
Trout 15 Release Date 12/12
Pan Seared Trout, Fresh Herbs, Roasted Wild Mushrooms, Lemon Aioli, Herb Oil
Rabbit 15 Release Date 1/2
Country Ham Wrapped Local Rabbit, Sorghum Glaze, Lemon Oil, Fresh Herb and Cornbread Stuffing
Mutton 14 Release Date 1/9
Open Coal Roasted Leg of Lamb, Raspberry BBQ Sauce, Grilled Lemons

A La Carte Sides
Grits 3
Kenny’s White Cheddar Weisenberger Grits
Winter Greens 4
Winter Greens, Ham Gravy Jus
Four Cheese Southern Mac 4
Ditalini, Gruyere, Kenny’s White Cheddar, American Cheese, Fontina Cheese, Pork Belly Cracklins’
House Fries 3
House Cut Russet Potatoes, Celery Salt, Ancho Chili Powder
Stewed Tomatoes 3
Stewed Tomatoes, Basil Aioli

Executive Chef – Dustin Staggers
Chef De Cuisine – Jose Ivaldy
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

Re: The Monkey Wrench

by Alan H » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Great news Dustin,
I have been a Monkey Wrench fan for years.....Bluegrass Brunch, great live music and always good pub fare.
Your new menu will surely bring us Germantown / Highlands junkies in more often !
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Good gracious Dustin that sounds good!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:49 am

I'm so happy to see you are cooking again Dustin- I must come by, the menu looks great.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:23 am

I can attest to the country ham salad and the fried green tomatoes. Both insanely good. Great things are happening at the Wrench.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:01 am

Sounds Delicious. Susi and I wish Dustin all success with this ambitious and finger licking good menu. We will be in soon. All the best.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks to this post, we went there last night. We had the fried green tomatoes to start - delish! For dinner we stayed with the healthy eating plan and had the regular burger w/fries. It was very tasty and we agreed we would get it again. The burgers are thin like bowling alley burgers, with great smokey bacon, two fried pickles, etc. It was a sloppy delicious burger on a nice soft bun. The hand cut fries were good as well, with either or both the fries and ketchup having a pronounced celery salt flavor that I found added just enough spice without overpowering the fries.

We sat at a table in the bar area. Service was very friendly and prompt. The beer was just fine, I had a Cumberland Porter and hub had the Country Boy selection. Dustin actually came out to visit the patrons and we were lucky enough to meet him. Overall a great experience. We'll go back!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:26 am

I'm with them- the menu looks fantastic!

Are you serving all day? Available for call-ahead take-out orders? I only ask because often my students are looking for a lunch option that is quick (ergo the call-ahead question) and I would love to stop by during my break and grab some grub.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I've been to the Monkey Wrench for beers many times and never tried the food. Bu that menu looks really promising! Looking forward to trying it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:38 pm

DUSTIN,
Congrats- the menu sounds great. I've never been ( nit big on bar food) but would now seriously consider making a trip over to try you out. Are you open for lunch?
Deb
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:17 pm

We were there Wednesday and the white beans are just soooooo good, served with hamhock and over cornbread. Sooooo good. I can't wait for the chicken livers, which are being added to the menu after Christmas. Oh, I so wish I had those white beans again right now...
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Haven't been to the Wrench for a minute, this looks like an awesome reason to go back!
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. I love what we are doing right now culinarily at the Wrench. As far as lunch is concerned we are not open for lunch. We will be totally revamping the brunch format soon as well so stay tuned for that. If you haven't been to Monkey in awhile please stop by, you will not be disappointed
Dustin Staggers
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Charbroiled Oysters? :shock:

...sometimes I sit around and serious contemplate purchasing a flight down to NOLA just for a few meals of those.
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by DustinStaggers » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Good call on the celery salt. It is in both the fries and the ketchup.

As far as oysters are concerned, I will have them shipped from the Pensacola area twice a week. I have a special place in my heart for NOLA and oysters are just one of the reasons.
Dustin Staggers
Next