Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

Big Four Burgers & Beer opens in Jeff (Old Third Base)

by DanB » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Sorry if posted already. In the old Third Base Tavern (God if those walls could talk).

http://www.newsandtribune.com/local/x43 ... ersonville
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Big Four Burgers & Beer opens in Jeff (Old Third Base)

by James Natsis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 pm

I drove through there last week to check out the general area along Spring and near the bridge, ramp, and small park. The transformation is becoming more evident as the pieces fit slowly into place. One can not only envision the scene next summer, but the potential over the next 2-3 years. This will be a destination spot without a doubt for many reasons.
James J. Natsis
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm

For lunch, I had the specialty burger named "Big Bleu" (blue cheese, bacon, etc.) and when it arrived, I thought that I'd finish half, or maybe two thirds. Yeah right. After the first bite, I succumbed to the part of my brain that emits and processes dopamine and finished it. It was quite delicious and the house battered onion rings are the bomb. Throw in a great beer selection, nice atmosphere and a genuinely friendly staff and you have one fine burger and beer joint.

BTW; For lunch, you pay beforehand via their Leaf POS system http://www.leaf.me/. It threw me off as I had never seen one before, so I didn't notice the tip field and didn't leave one on the initial transaction. (I did make up for it when I ordered my second beer)

If you go here, you would be doing yourself a favor.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 pm

I went recently for lunch and also had no clue about their order system. As no one was standing at that spot at the time I just sat down and a staffer took care of business. Can't wait to go back in warm weather walking across the bridge and check out the upper floors.

The whole of downtown Jeff is exploding with new eateries / drinkeries. Soon no one in Louisville will have to worry about driving across a bridge to the Sunny Side, we can just park near the river and walk across the Big Four Bridge! Is it just me or do others agree downtown Jeff via the pedestrian / bicycle bridge is going to eclipse "NuLu" and be the happening neighborhood for drinks & dining by this summer? Heck, depending how flexible people's lunchtimes are you can even jog across from a downtown office, grab a bite, jog back and so get in the exercise you'd normally have planned for after work. I expect we'll see a lot fewer lunchtime joggers on the Clark Memorial once the Big Four is open on the Indiana side. What a great way to reduce auto bridge traffic! Who'd want to drive across a bridge instead of enjoying the peace, open air and scenery of crossing the river car-free?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:42 am

Lonnie Turner wrote: Is it just me or do others agree downtown Jeff via the pedestrian / bicycle bridge is going to eclipse "NuLu" and be the happening neighborhood for drinks & dining by this summer?

I'll agree...provided you can eliminate the I let my dog poop on the bridge and/or let's jack the white dudes cell phone riff-raffing crowd.: :|...............otherwise, no.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:07 am

Steve P wrote:let's jack the white dudes cell phone riff-raffing crowd.: :|...............otherwise, no.

:shock:

You got any data on the incidence of this? My best shot at the over-under is zero.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:32 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:let's jack the white dudes cell phone riff-raffing crowd.: :|...............otherwise, no.

You got any data on the incidence of this? My best shot at the over-under is zero.

<shrugs>....Looks like you lost that bet. Better luck during the game tomorrow. :wink:

http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/lou ... index.html

There was at least one other (similar) incident but I can't find reference to it at the moment.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Steve P wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

<shrugs>....Looks like you lost that bet. Better luck during the game tomorrow. :wink:

http://www.wlky.com/news/local-news/lou ... index.html

There was at least one other (similar) incident but I can't find reference to it at the moment.

Two data points make a line, not a trend.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Jon K wrote:There was at least one other (similar) incident but I can't find reference to it at the moment.

Two data points make a line, not a trend.[/quote]

And has an all-too-familiar stench. :evil:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 pm

I personally have not detected any attitudes of racial hostility at the Big Four bridge. I hope this anecdote can help a fearful white person to tremble a little less today.

On the other hand, I did notice a lot of doggy doo when the bridge first opened. That improved a lot over the months, though, as did the weird John Phillip Sousa and Beatles muzak they were playing initially. Looking forward to the clusters of restaurants developing around the bridge. Can't wait to try these burgers, too. A beer, a burger, and a walk over the bridge and back sounds like a very nice afternoon or evening.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Iggy C wrote:I did notice a lot of doggy doo when the bridge first opened. That improved a lot over the months, though ...

When they opened the bridge, dogs were allowed, on the assumption that their owners would be good citizens. When this proved too optimistic, dogs were banned.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:13 pm

We are certainly looking forward to the restaurants on both sides of the bridge and actually have not had any prompts while on the bridge except being forced to listen to the stupid music! It's such a peaceful and serene place the music is just makes it seem like a rock concert. Turn the music off and don't install the fancy LED lighting that's planned, save the money and call it done!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:35 am

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25050018/lmpd ... our-bridge

..."According to police, around 200 teenagers were gathered at the Big Four Bridge when 12 people started assaulting and robbing a 13-year-old girl. When an adult male tried to intervene, the group turned on him"....

Well cuz.....
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:I went recently for lunch and also had no clue about their order system. As no one was standing at that spot at the time I just sat down and a staffer took care of business. Can't wait to go back in warm weather walking across the bridge and check out the upper floors.

The whole of downtown Jeff is exploding with new eateries / drinkeries. Soon no one in Louisville will have to worry about driving across a bridge to the Sunny Side, we can just park near the river and walk across the Big Four Bridge! Is it just me or do others agree downtown Jeff via the pedestrian / bicycle bridge is going to eclipse "NuLu" and be the happening neighborhood for drinks & dining by this summer? Heck, depending how flexible people's lunchtimes are you can even jog across from a downtown office, grab a bite, jog back and so get in the exercise you'd normally have planned for after work. I expect we'll see a lot fewer lunchtime joggers on the Clark Memorial once the Big Four is open on the Indiana side. What a great way to reduce auto bridge traffic! Who'd want to drive across a bridge instead of enjoying the peace, open air and scenery of crossing the river car-free?

I'm not sure that Nulu will be eclipsed, but I think that it would increase competition. On a side note, the access to the bridge is closer to downtown in Jeff than it is in Louisville. Although it's not a lot of difference, I think that it's enough of a difference that there will be less coming from Jeff than the other way around.

Overall, in spite of isolated crimes (which happens anywhere), I think the Big Four Bridge will have a positive economic impact for food/drink establishment on both sides of the river.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Next effort: Get the railroad to open the K&I Bridge between Portland and N'obbiny to pedestrian and bike traffic.
Next