Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Big Four Burgers & Beer opens in Jeff (Old Third Base)

by Steve P » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:11 pm

Jon K wrote:Two data points make a line, not a trend.

Ahhhhmmmm....do four data points (and counting) constitute a trend ?

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25057209/lmpd ... -trash-can

http://www.wdrb.com/category/163829/fox ... start=true
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

By that logic, my 20+ visits without racial incident constitute an iron law. Look, if you want your life to be dictated by cherry-picking anecdotes about scary black people, it's a free country. Next day it's in the 70s, I'll probably take a walk on the big four bridge.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Iggy C wrote:By that logic, my 20+ visits without racial incident constitute an iron law. Look, if you want your life to be dictated by cherry-picking anecdotes about scary black people, it's a free country. Next day it's in the 70s, I'll probably take a walk on the big four bridge.

Yeah, four "if it bleeds it leads" pieces from the local Faux News affiliate don't really create much in the way of "data," do they?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:07 am

Hell, I've seen things on a dinner plate that were a lot scarier than walking across the BFB.

But, in all fairness to what Steve is saying - no, I wouldn't make a trip to walk down there in the evening but then I am reluctant to do that anywhere. There are parking lots in Oldham Co. that I don't like walking to my car in at night time.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 am

Carla G wrote:There are parking lots in Oldham Co. that I don't like walking to my car in at night time.

I think that's the point about fear of the Other in D- D- Downtown, Carla. Some of the metro's persistent gang and drugs issues may be found, by those who care to see them, in the Lyndon area, but generally speaking people are not afraid to go to Goose Creek Diner after dark. :shock:
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 am

Yup. Crime is a pretty opportunistic element. It'll be wherever the pickings' are easy and plentiful regardless of social standing, race or whatever. It seldom regards zip codes.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Carla G wrote:Yup. Crime is a pretty opportunistic element. It'll be wherever the pickings' are easy and plentiful regardless of social standing, race or whatever. It seldom regards zip codes.

That is true, but only to a very limited extent. See map.
http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/p ... es/victims
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Carla G wrote:Yup. Crime is a pretty opportunistic element. It'll be wherever the pickings' are easy and plentiful regardless of social standing, race or whatever. It seldom regards zip codes.

That is true, but only to a very limited extent. See map.
http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/p ... es/victims

Well, I was thinking more in terms of robberies, break ins, financial crimes, stuff like that. This map is for homicides. That's kind of a different animal.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Carla G wrote:
Well, I was thinking more in terms of robberies, break ins, financial crimes, stuff like that. This map is for homicides. That's kind of a different animal.

Unfortunately I think that other stuff would be comparable.

You mention financial .... White folks just as crooked. Sorry ass people are sorry ass people. Has nothing to do with race. Understand that the map shows black on black crime for the most part. From personal knowledge I can say that a large percentage of black people, not only know it, but despise it.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:47 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Carla G wrote:

Unfortunately I think that other stuff would be comparable.

You mention financial .... White folks just as crooked. Sorry ass people are sorry ass people. Has nothing to do with race. Understand that the map shows black on black crime for the most part. From personal knowledge I can say that a large percentage of black people, not only know it, but despise it.

And that was the point I was trying to make to begin with.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:10 pm

Getting back to the original subject, WDRB reported last week that Big Four Burgers & Beer planned to open a second location in downtown New Albany sometime this fall, although it wasn't revealing the exact site yet. They must be doing well to expand so quickly.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25081651/big- ... y-location
Previous