Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Re: Is there a good lobster roll in Louisville?

by Charles W. » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:18 am

In my work we launched a very successful iOs app and then had to virtually start over to develop an android app bc the coding didn't overlap at all. Finally released that last week. The android app has its challenges bc of the wide variety of hardware and software versions. App dev ain't cheap.
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Charles W. wrote: App dev ain't cheap.

Neither is ignoring 80% of the market.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 am

Doug Davis wrote:
Charles W. wrote: App dev ain't cheap.

Neither is ignoring 80% of the market.

Depends how you look at it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley ... the-money/

When it comes to real world usage data, Apple has an overwhelming share of smartphone and tablet app sales, Web browser use, and ad network hits. Apple leads Android in enterprise adoption, and in retail shopping use by consumers.

The volume of apps available in the Google Play app store has caught up to Apple, and Android is winning in app downloads as well. Google reportedly comprises 75 percent of all app downloads, compared to only 18 percent for Apple. Yet, Apple made half of all app revenue in the most recent quarter, demonstrating once again that volume and market share don’t translate directly to income.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 am

I'm not so interested in arguing the superiority of iOS, simply saying that last summer a lot of Food Trucks were using the Louisville Food Truck App and that seems to have really cooled off. I don't want to follow Lil Cheezers all over town, I want to know who's near me at lunchtime.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:41 am

Charles W. wrote:I'm not so interested in arguing the superiority of iOS, simply saying that last summer a lot of Food Trucks were using the Louisville Food Truck App and that seems to have really cooled off. I don't want to follow Lil Cheezers all over town, I want to know who's near me at lunchtime.

Charles, do you think it might have cooled off as the weather cooled off? Maybe I'm just a baby, but I think of food trucks as a summertime treat. Standing outside the truck window waiting in line during the winter we've been having doesn't appeal to me so much.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am

Yes, Robin, I thought of that as I was writing it. I just noticed at the Humana park location (right beside my office) that there have been Food trucks there on nice days, but only Boss Hogg posts to the app. Maybe when things warm up, app use will warm up in relation!

The reason I like the app is that I like exploring food trucks I don't know about. So following them on twitter or facebook doesn't really work for that. If there is a web-based or other format where a lot of different trucks post their location, then that would be good. But I'm not interested in following individual food trucks--I want to know about all the food trucks: Korean tacos, Lobsta, BBQ, whatever.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:30 pm

LocalView Louisville set-up a twitter list called "Lou Food Trucks!!"

https://twitter.com/LocalViewLou/lists/lou-food-trucks

There are currently 28 members. If you are a tweeter, you might want to check it out! :lol:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Charles W. wrote:Yes, Robin, I thought of that as I was writing it. I just noticed at the Humana park location (right beside my office) that there have been Food trucks there on nice days, but only Boss Hogg posts to the app. Maybe when things warm up, app use will warm up in relation!

The reason I like the app is that I like exploring food trucks I don't know about. So following them on twitter or facebook doesn't really work for that. If there is a web-based or other format where a lot of different trucks post their location, then that would be good. But I'm not interested in following individual food trucks--I want to know about all the food trucks: Korean tacos, Lobsta, BBQ, whatever.

Same here, you and I are in 100% agreement. I like food trucks. But I cant stay on top of every new one that comes out, like all their Facebook pages and then check them all when hunger strikes.

If you want my business, you do the work (ie use the app and market yourself). Dont expect me to work for you (ie search the internet just to figure out if you are out and where you might be).
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Doug Davis wrote:If you want my business, you do the work (ie use the app and market yourself). Dont expect me to work for you (ie search the internet just to figure out if you are out and where you might be).

Exactly. And in my case, at least, you'll make at least a little money! I love food trucks.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Heather L wrote:LocalView Louisville set-up a twitter list called "Lou Food Trucks!!"

There are currently 28 members. If you are a tweeter, you might want to check it out! :lol:

I did subscribe, but I'm the sixth one!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Charles W. wrote:
Heather L wrote:LocalView Louisville set-up a twitter list called "Lou Food Trucks!!"

I did subscribe, but I'm the sixth one!

I actually started a Twitter list for Louisville food trucks several years ago, but a while back I consolidated my three Twitter accounts into one, whereupon I forgot about it because I stopped using the Twitter handle it was attached to. :oops:

I see it's still alive, but probably could use some updating and I should move it to my live Twitter handle. If any of you guys would like to help me crowdsource an update, just look at it here:
https://twitter.com/LouHotBytes/louisvillefoodtrucks

And tell me (1) who I'm missing, and (2) who should be taken off.
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Old Louisville

by Liz H » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 am

1.) To add: @longshotlobsta @BlackbeardEspre @BOOTYS2 @JamPanJerk @sweetnsavorylou @johnnysdinercar @HiFiveDoughnuts and I'm sure some others but those are the ones off the top of my head.

2.) To remove: @OHPUERCO @mariasgreekdeli @BullyDogs @BluGrassBrkOven @PaletaCulture @pigallecrepes @ElRumbonCuban @MorelsTVB @sdsworks @soupBycycle
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Liz H wrote:1.) To add: @longshotlobsta @BlackbeardEspre @BOOTYS2 @JamPanJerk @sweetnsavorylou @johnnysdinercar @HiFiveDoughnuts and I'm sure some others but those are the ones off the top of my head.

2.) To remove: @OHPUERCO @mariasgreekdeli @BullyDogs @BluGrassBrkOven @PaletaCulture @pigallecrepes @ElRumbonCuban @MorelsTVB @sdsworks @soupBycycle

Outstanding, Liz, thanks! I've got a deadline on my day job ... well, my Sunday job ... but as soon as I'm done, I'll tune this up and move it to may active TwitterVerse.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Charles W. wrote:I'm not so interested in arguing the superiority of iOS, simply saying that last summer a lot of Food Trucks were using the Louisville Food Truck App and that seems to have really cooled off. I don't want to follow Lil Cheezers all over town, I want to know who's near me at lunchtime.

I agree with Charles on this point- I want to know who's near me or where I'm going for lunch or dinner. They have a great app for this in San Francisco.

Deb
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 am

This is just a reminder of how much I miss El Rumbon.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
PreviousNext