Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Jon Stewart on NY vs Chicago Pizza

by Ray Griffith » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 am

User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Jon Stewart on NY vs Chicago Pizza

by Joel F » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:52 pm

BOOM!

hahahahaha. :lol:

had to be said.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:34 pm

He's so right! Chicago "pizza" isn't even pizza. :P
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:He's so right! Chicago "pizza" isn't even pizza. :P

But it is pretty good!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:59 pm

In the absence of John Hagan, let me paraphrase what he told me on -numerous- occasions...In Chicago "deep dish" pizza is an infrequent aberration and finding places that serve it is more the exception than the rule. Discounting (for the time being) all the "artisan" styes popping up all over, I personally believe that when it comes to good ol' everyday non-chain pizza the mid-west kicks serious ass over most of what passes for pizza on the left and right coasts. :|
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 am

Representing my most excellent home City of the Big Shoulders and Hog butcher to the World.. you crackers dont know what pizza is.. just sayin'. You probably think its that dried up salty Country ham on a flattened out biscuit, spread with that Kentucky Jelly stuff you sell in those tubes, or something.

"Urbs in Horto"

GG
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 am

This is a bit of an aside, but I've always found it quite annoying to hear New Yorkers' arrogant rants about friggin' pizza. Many go so far as to say they refuse to eat pizza when they're outside of the NYC area.

While I've never been to NYC, I have had plenty of pizza that food critics & New Yorkers alike call "the real thing." NY style pizza is good, but pizza has many faces. The view that it trumps other styles 100% of the time is absurd.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:59 am

Paul S wrote:This is a bit of an aside, but I've always found it quite annoying to hear New Yorkers' arrogant rants about friggin' pizza. Many go so far as to say they refuse to eat pizza when they're outside of the NYC area.

While I've never been to NYC, I have had plenty of pizza that food critics & New Yorkers alike call "the real thing." NY style pizza is good, but pizza has many faces. The view that it trumps other styles 100% of the time is absurd.

Good point! But don't you think it's really about home, and childhood, and the things we grow up with and remember as comforting? What works for kids who grew up on NYC pizza doesn't work for kids from Chicago ... or Louisville. And vice-versa.

But that being said, the pizza that came to Louisville with the Baby Boom - Calandrino's and Mario's and the old Highland Italian, which segued into Lentini's - was pretty much New York style. I got it that way, and I also got it when I spent summers in NYC as a teen, so I'm smitten. Others' mileage may vary, and that's okay, but deep-dish just doesn't appeal to me.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 am

I was born in Brooklyn, NY....me allegiance lies strictly with NY style pizza. We actually are blessed to live in a hard water town, here in Louisville....that helps with the crust, and we have some very good pies around here.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 am

I view the thick Chicago (my birthplace) style as more of a once in a blue moon novelty treat. When that happens, I am usually dragged to it. My salivation glands are loyal to NY style.

Now, who else is having pizza today because of this thread? :wink:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 am

Rob_DeLessio wrote:I was born in Brooklyn, NY....me allegiance lies strictly with NY style pizza. We actually are blessed to live in a hard water town, here in Louisville....that helps with the crust, and we have some very good pies around here.

I'm with Rob on this. I don't like a pan full of hot dough. It's all about the toppings- good sauce, good sausage, good cheese and fresh veggies.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 pm

So basically what I'm hearing is that we've pretty much eliminated those fruit loops out on the left coast when it comes to baking anything -remotely- resembling a good pie and it's now a battle between the only two -real- heavy weight contenders....The East Coast and the Midwest.

I'm still throwing my my weight behind the good ol' Midwestern pie. You can keep that "orange grease" and out on the east coast where it belongs.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am

Guys, guys! And gals!

Let's not fight about various incarnations of the magic pie. Pizza is a big tent. There is room for everyone and their preferences. Instead of seeing other styles as corruptions of the Platonic Form of pizza, we should look at the variety and diversity as a testimony to American ingeneuity and creativity!

Now I'm gonna go eat some pizza.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:\Now I'm gonna go eat some pizza.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what style? :lol:
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm

KNEEL and WORSHIP HERE INFIDELS !

http://www.mypiepizza.com/
Next