Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

Who has the best HAND BREADED Pork Tenderloin Sandwich?

by Lora S » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Just as the subject- besides many a home kitchen- what bars, restaurants, church suppers, etc. have the best HAND BREADED Pork Tenderloin Sandwich in the region? Why? I have been a regular "lurker" on this blog:

http://breadedtenderloin.wordpress.com/ (any assistance imbedding the link is appreciated!)

And would like to sample many of the local offerings over the next few months.

Thanks!

Lora
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Who has the best HAND BREADED Pork Tenderloin Sandwich?

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Lora S wrote:http://breadedtenderloin.wordpress.com/ (any assistance imbedding the link is appreciated!)

You got it on the first try, Lora! Actually, links embed themselves, as long as you take care to include either the "http://" or the "www."

As for breaded pork tenderloin, my impression is that this is a specialty of Evansville, Indiana, just down the river a piece, and maybe the German-heritage towns on the Indiana side between here and there ... Jasper, for instance. I haven't found this delicacy as common here in the Louisville metro area - possibly the porchetta sandwich at Polly's Freeze, which is now closed for the winter. If it's around, though, I hope folks will jump in with their favorites!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

I have yet to eat one locally that isn't dry and incredibly bland. I'm eager to see any suggestions that get posted.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 pm

I remember it as being an Indiana thing growing up.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 pm

No idea whether it's hand breaded or not, but the tenderloin sammich at Otto's (in the Seelbach) is very tasty. Or maybe was mighty tasty - I know they were renovating Otto's and giving it a new name; no idea if the menu changed.
no avatar
User

Ryan Thiel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:33 pm

by Ryan Thiel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I had one a few days ago @ Jack Fry's for lunch. Homemade pretzel bun, boursin cheese, apple/onion jam, and pickles. It was very good.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Hate to tell you this, but Polly's famous porketta is actually bought in breaded and frozen!! Mine is bought in fresh and breaded to order. :D

Robin Garr wrote:
Lora S wrote:http://breadedtenderloin.wordpress.com/ (any assistance imbedding the link is appreciated!)

You got it on the first try, Lora! Actually, links embed themselves, as long as you take care to include either the "http://" or the "www."

As for breaded pork tenderloin, my impression is that this is a specialty of Evansville, Indiana, just down the river a piece, and maybe the German-heritage towns on the Indiana side between here and there ... Jasper, for instance. I haven't found this delicacy as common here in the Louisville metro area - possibly the porchetta sandwich at Polly's Freeze, which is now closed for the winter. If it's around, though, I hope folks will jump in with their favorites!
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. You see, without a doubt, the best hand breaded pork tenderloin to be had in these parts was at the Blue River Cafe in Milltown, IN. Since it is unlikely they will be reopening after their most recent fire, I'm now on a search for something that even comes close.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

In a pinch, you might try the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich at Culver's. Their menu describes it as "premium center-cut pork loin . . . hand breaded with seasoned cracker crumbs and fried golden brown on a lightly buttered, toasted bun."

I need to get up to Georgetown to try Allison's version.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am

Yes Bill P and Lois, you need to come and try mine!! :D Had the former chef of Blue River Café in the other day, he said they are not re-building, they have had enough. Apparently the hood system was not installed correctly.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 am

Alison Hanover wrote:Hate to tell you this, but Polly's famous porketta is actually bought in breaded and frozen!! Mine is bought in fresh and breaded to order. :D

I didn't know you had those. It sounds like another reason for a bicycle ride!
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:29 am

Yes, indeed we do Ray, also a Greek Style Pork Tenderloin, which is marinated in olive oil, garlic and oregano and grilled. I recommend tzatziki, lettuce, tomato and onion on it!! I was telling someone about your epic bike ride from Louisville for a gyros just the other day :D

Ray Griffith wrote:
Alison Hanover wrote:Hate to tell you this, but Polly's famous porketta is actually bought in breaded and frozen!! Mine is bought in fresh and breaded to order. :D

I didn't know you had those. It sounds like another reason for a bicycle ride!
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Allison would you consider doing the hand breaded tenderloin greek style , I mean with the toppings not the marinade .I love my breaded tenderloin but the greek style toppings sound yummy.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Alison Hanover » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Bev, of course I would, tzatziki is good on anything!

BevP wrote:Allison would you consider doing the hand breaded tenderloin greek style , I mean with the toppings not the marinade .I love my breaded tenderloin but the greek style toppings sound yummy.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

by Dan L. » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am

Last night I picked up dinner to go from Bare Shoulder BBQ in Charlestown. While paying I noticed that they have added a Hoosier Tenderloin sandwich to their meeting. I confirmed that it was breaded and fried. I didn't try it but everything I have had from them has been good so far.

http://www.bareshoulderbbq.com/