Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Atypical Man BBQ

no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Atypical Man BBQ

by Ron H » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 am

Louisville isn't a BBQ mecca, but it's definitely a place where some smoked meat is appreciated. Tucked away in the heart of St. Matthews in a nondescript building is a taste that might be one of my favorites in the city. I've eaten a lot of barbecue from Louisville's most respected Q joints, and while I generally like anything you put in front of my face, I haven't had anything quite like the atypical barbecue from Atypical Man BBQ.

My wife knows a member of the ownership group (she is her massage therapist), so when she got word that the doors were open, we headed over and found the location. There's some parking in the front of the building, and some parking around the back for those that worry about that kind of thing, and plenty of other random places to park in the area. When you walk in, you're immediately greeted with the smell of delicious, smoky, sugary, Q goodness. Laminated menus feature a variety of options: pork shoulder, beef brisket, half-chicken, smoked chicken wings, and ribs (St. Louis or baby back). They're available in both lunch (entree and one side) and dinner (entree and two sides).

Being hungry, dinner was the choice. I picked beef brisket on garlic toast with cuban black beans and rice and cole slaw, and she got pulled pork shoulder with truffle mac and baked beans. It took us longer to order than it took for the guys behind the counter to provide the food; in fact, while my wife was ordering, I was handed my finished food. Talk about prompt!

The brisket was phenomenal. Great char on the outside, as tender as butter on the inside, and the ends were just perfectly chewy. The rub on that brisket was magical, and it pairs perfectly with Atyp's Derby City Bourbon Sauce (one of four sauces to choose from and probably the stand-out sauce). The black beans were also really, really good, simple yet spicy; the cole slaw was also a home run, a nice light affair that brought some crunch in the form of napa cabbage. The wife's pulled pork was also really good, nice and smoky and tender. The baked beans were nice and thick and a bit sweet, and her sauce (Caribbean Rum Lime Sauce) also worked really well with the pork. I didn't eat the truffle mac, but she says it was really good, and she's a mac & cheese nerd, so I'll take her word for it.

The restaurant is at 119 St. Matthews Street (turn when you see Spinelli's) and to give some proper Louisville directions, it's in the old Neighborhood Cafe building--that's the place that had the savory cone concept I think? The interior is a work in progress, but the food is definitely not. Dinner to fill two hungry folks and water to drink, plus a tip for prompt and attentive service, ended up being $24. (The prices are definitely more than reasonable for the quality and amount of food provided.) Find the menu and all pertinent info at their website http://www.atypicalbbq.com/

And that's my Robin impression.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Atypical Man BBQ

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

Ron H wrote:And that's my Robin impression.

:lol: Great work! You'll find a little extra something in the bottom of your pay envelope this week ...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Is this the same place that used to be called Bluegrass Barbecue?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:Is this the same place that used to be called Bluegrass Barbecue?

I think so. He said it also used to be a barbecue place before they moved in.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm

This is on our usual route home from the gym so we picked up a good high protein (BBQ & beans) lunch for post workout last week. It was all very good. I got my pulled pork (they ran out of brisket so that was my second choice) and a side of Kansas City sauce. Diane had hers with the bourbon sauce. Tried the pork before using sauce and it was perfect. Almost had it plain but I'm a sucker for KC sauce.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:43 pm

I didn't know the place had changed ownership. I tried the previous place and was disappointed with several things an kept going back to Momma's on Bauer, which has only gotten better and better. St Matthews has 3 places within a half mile radius. now if we could get just ONE Indian restaurant in the hood, please?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 pm

It's always tough when a good place in one genre opens near another good place in the same genre. We've been going to Mama's a lot lately to get burnt ends and the incredible beef ribs, both of which are a bit exotic to me, being more used to the Memphis style. I will have to try Atypical sometime, though. Good to know it's out there.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 am

I am intrigued but until a bbq place starts getting wild and using different cuts of meat (tongue, jowl, cheeks, offal, homemade sausages, etc) will I get REALLY interested. I am just kinda bored with brisket and pork shoulder. But I want to check this out. Do they serve the bbq with sauce on the side or does it come covered in sauce already?
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron H » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Adam C wrote:Do they serve the bbq with sauce on the side or does it come covered in sauce already?

With the shoulder and brisket, the sauce was on the side. Can't speak for anything else.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Ron H wrote:
Adam C wrote:Do they serve the bbq with sauce on the side or does it come covered in sauce already?

With the shoulder and brisket, the sauce was on the side. Can't speak for anything else.

I'm certainly glad to hear that, I hate places that makes the meat in with the sauce prior to serving it. The meat should provide the flavor (I don't think good barbecue even needs a sauce) and the sauce should just be a condiment, not part of the meat.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Best brisket I've had around here is Ken-Tex in Shelbyville. I think my favorite pork is Boss Hogg food truck. I'll have to try this place.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Ron H wrote:

I'm certainly glad to hear that, I hate places that makes the meat in with the sauce prior to serving it. The meat should provide the flavor (I don't think good barbecue even needs a sauce) and the sauce should just be a condiment, not part of the meat.

Agreed. I confess that when I get my sandwich and it is slathered in sugary sauce I can't help but think they are trying to mask something even if they're not. I want the meat not ketchupy sauce... This goes the same for meat tenderizers and spice mixes to cover a steak with. I learned from Miguel at De La Torre's: liberal salt and pepper. That's it.
no avatar
User

JimDantin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:29 pm

by JimDantin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 pm

We picked up lunch from there today. Overall a very good experience. Friendly people, and good Q.

The brisket was very tender and juicy without falling apart or crumbling. A little bit too much fat on some slices, but not really a problem. The ribs were tender and smoky.

The Caribbean Rum Lime Sauce was a complex and spicy complement to the pork. I'm a fan of mustard sauces and their Carolina Mustard Style Sauce reminded me of the Western Kentucky style - thick, sweet, with a mustard kick. The Derby City Bourbon Sauce was a perfect accompaniment to the brisket.

We will be back for more.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Linda C wrote:....St Matthews has 3 places within a half mile radius....
Linda, there's Momma's on Bauer, and this one (ATypical) - - where's the third?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 pm

FABD Smokehouse, I assume.
Next