Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Atypical Man BBQ

by Mark R. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:41 pm

We stopped by this evening to try the place out and I can certainly say we will be back! I had the brisket, which is my favorite matter where I go for Q. It was very moist and tender and didn't really need any kind of sauce to be good which is one of the criteria I use for judging good Q. I tried all 4 of their sauces and preferred the Bourbon sauce with the brisket but they were all very good. My wife had the pulled pork which is also very flavorful without any sauce and very tender. She really enjoyed the mustard sauce on it which is her favorite type of sauce anyway. A friend of ours who was with us and the half chicken was is also very nicely done and very tender and juicy, the meat just fell off the bone. We had a variety of sides between the 3 of us in every one of them was good. The truffled mac & cheese was definitely very good and unique, in a nice cheese flavor that was not overpowered by the truffle flavor that was overlaid on it. The coleslaw was also one of our favorites, a very nice flavor without any excessive liquid on it. The green beans were by wife's favorite and she described them as a "healthy version of her mother's", she ended up having to orders of them.

We had a long talk with the owner while we were there and it's quite a nice guy with an extensive food business background. He is a graduate of Sullivan University and has worked as a sous chef at many local restaurants. He is also planning on adding other items to the menu such as soups and some salads. He certainly plans on being in the business for the long run and we wish him well! He certainly has the product he just needs to get the traffic up which will certainly come once people to taste his food.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 pm

So I went back to Atypical Man yesterday and discovered that the restless proprietor has been working on some new ideas for Happy Hour-style provisions. There's a nice menu of interesting options, from a bacon-laced beer cheese to a mac-n-cheese and chorizo roll deal, but the thing that jumped out and grabbed my attention was the sliders. For $1 per slider, you get a miniature version of one of Atypical's sandwiches: brisket, pork, or chicken.

Now, all three sliders are good (I should know, I ate all three). The meats are paired with appropriate sauces (bourbon coffee for brisket, Carolina mustard for pork, and KC red for the chicken) and it's a nice portion size for only a buck. If I were forced at the point of a fork to pick a favorite, I'd go with the chicken, if only because there was a really nice jalapeno slice to provide a little extra zing to the affair. They have also added an interesting beer cooler full of Highland Brewing Company deliciousness from Asheville, NC, at a great 4-6PM price point ($2 for boring domestics, $2.50 for the good stuff).

If you're in the area and haven't been by to check out it, it's a great way to sample a lot of the taste profiles without a major investment of cash. Or just do what I did and buy four sliders and a couple of adult sodas and call it dinner.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Sat May 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Ron H wrote:a mac-n-cheese and chorizo roll deal,

I love Atypical Man and these things are amazing.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue May 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Some of the best smoked wings in the city and one hell of a nice owner. Great beer list also.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Previous