Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

lindabenz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:03 pm

Eastern Jefferson County

A less than glowing review of Porcini in Louisville Magazine

by lindabenz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Stephen Hacker has written a detailed review in the December issue with the tag line, "Porcini's atmosphere can't be topped, but its current dish preparation can." He sums up his review "And while it provides a great night out for many...I think the crowds would really respond to a little more focus on what comes out of the kitchen. He found his "Ravioli alla Fiorentina" to be "gummy and unattractive". What a breath of fresh air he is to Louisville Magazine! At one time their reviews were simply PR pieces.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A less than glowing review of Porcini in Louisville Maga

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:23 pm

lindabenz wrote:Stephen Hacker has written a detailed review in the December issue with the tag line, "Porcini's atmosphere can't be topped, but its current dish preparation can." He sums up his review "And while it provides a great night out for many...I think the crowds would really respond to a little more focus on what comes out of the kitchen. He found his "Ravioli alla Fiorentina" to be "gummy and unattractive". What a breath of fresh air he is to Louisville Magazine! At one time their reviews were simply PR pieces.

It is so unusual that one wonders how long management will hold still for it. I'm inclined to agree, although I find it hard to keep tabs on the magazine - I don't subscribe to the print edition, and it's usually weeks or months late getting online.

I've noticed that Mr Hacker seems to alternate columns with another writer who did one piece for us at Food & Dining.