Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tamales

no avatar
User

Alta Broaddus

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:01 pm

Tamales

by Alta Broaddus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:17 pm

I recently moved from the Southwest to Louisville, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Mexican bakeries or other places to buy tamales. I would like to have some for Christmas Eve.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tamales

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Alta Broaddus wrote:I recently moved from the Southwest to Louisville, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any Mexican bakeries or other places to buy tamales. I would like to have some for Christmas Eve.

Alta, welcome to Louisville and to the forum!

Most of the local taquerias and similar Latino spots have authentic tamales, but I assume you're talking about made to take home and cook rather than eat in.

I can't say for sure that you could find them at all these places, but this list of Mexican grocers from the current issue of Food & Dining might be a good place to start:

Louisville's growing Latino community supports a similarly fast-growing cadre of taquerias, panaderias and tiny grocery stores, and I've found them all interesting, friendly and welcoming to Anglos even if we don't speak Spanish very well.

La Tropicana
5215 Preston Highway, 964-5957
The consensus pick among local "foodies" for selection and size, La Tropicana is a reliable choice for everything from fresh tortillas to homemade chorizo sausages to wrap in them.

All the following smaller shops, some of them associated with restaurants, are also recommended. Listed alphabetically:

Los Compadres, 616 Highway 131, Clarksville, Ind., 948-9785

La Favorita, 6201 Preston Highway, 964-2639.

La Preferida Tienda, 4756 Bardstown Road, 671-0009.

Santa Fe, 3000 S. Third St., 634-3722.

La Sierra Tarasca, 6501 Shepherdsville Road, 964-1430.

La Tapatia, 8106 Preston Highway, 961-9153.

La Villa Supermarket, 5211 Preston Highway, 964-7567.
no avatar
User

Mark H.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Louisville, KY

by Mark H. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Welcome to Louisville, Alta. I know this is supposed to be a restaurant forum, but have you ever made tamales at home? I find it fun, easy and they usually come out as good or better than the Mexican restaurants. Any of the local Mexican stores will have the corn husks, even Kroger carries the masa mix. There are lots of websites that even have videos on the preparation. Good luck and here's to Christmas Tamales....
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Does anyone make vegetarian tamales? I mean, for instance, with seitan?
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:13 am

I am almost positive that El Mundo makes vegetarian tamales - but not with any sort of meat substitute. I think they use beans and/or fresh veggies.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:25 am

Thanks, Heather, I'll have to try El Mundo's. Barb T
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Mark H. makes some fine tamales...

by Gary Michael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:44 am

Mark H. makes some fine tamales. He should open a roadside stand on Preston near that outdoor taqueria!