Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Blind Pig closing Saturday :(

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 am

You could also say that the urban core is already saturated with independent restaurants whereas the outlying suburban areas are sorely lacking independent restaurants (except for a few pizza places or a sports bar or two.) those few that are out here are doing quite well. For those that are keen to support independents, an alternative to 1/2 hour drives after a filling meal would be welcome.
P.S. There are alternatives to suburban parking lots that could be taken advantage of. I mentioned old Middletown with a nice collection of old homes that could be utilized.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

John S wrote: I believe that moving the Blind Pig from it's previous setting in a historic neighbourhood to a location in the middle of a suburban parking lot would take away from it's charm.

I think I'm better equipped to judge this impartially than I used to be, now that I've spent a year working a regular gig on outer Westport Road and getting to know well a lot of people who live nearby. :mrgreen:

But I still can't help looking back to the disaster that was Seviche's suburban outing. A great, great urban restaurant that thrives in an urban setting and has legitimately earned a national reputation. They opened a branch on Goose Creek (current Taj Palace location) and it only lasted a few months. Restaurants depend on margins, and while some locals appreciated Seviche for what it was, most of them came in demanding guac and chips and whining because it wasn't the kind of "Mexican" restaurant that they were expecting, and it was way more expensive than Mexican restaurants.

If I ran a restaurant in the city that had any kind of "Keep Louisville Weird" character, I would think long and hard before trying to make it in the 'burbs.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 am

Robin,

I both live there and personally had a disastrous experience opening and closing a place on the East End. The issue is not that there are a lack of people on the East End who are interested in "Keeping it weird" food-wise. Seviche was in a horrible, out- of- the- way location ( and we had a similar issue as promised strip traffic never arrived). And there were perception issues/ expectations.

Now more than ever, the East End can be a fabulous market for the right independent - citing Mojitos, Guacamole, Corbetts and Mussel & Burger Bar. But I do agree that you can't recreate an version of a historic atmosphere place, pop it down in the suburbs, and have fake atmosphere not feel artificial.
But Blind Pig could certainly reinvent themselves as something else here.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:48 am

Deb Hall wrote:- citing Mojitos, Guacamole, Corbetts and Mussel & Burger Bar.

Deb, while I don't actively disagree with anything you said, this would be fun to debate over a couple of glasses of wine. :D

First, Mojitos and MBB have a shared heritage in Fernando, who seems to have an uncanny skill at coming up with concepts that the market will love. And of course, Corbett's has Dean and his reputation, although I also suspect that the relationship with the nearby hospital and his intentional marketing of banquet and conference space to Big Pharma corporations is about as good an execution of the Willie Sutton principle as I've ever seen in the restaurant business. :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:But I still can't help looking back to the disaster that was Seviche's suburban outing. A great, great urban restaurant that thrives in an urban setting and has legitimately earned a national reputation. They opened a branch on Goose Creek (current Taj Palace location) and it only lasted a few months.

The first question that comes to my mind concerning that particular location is: What on earth were you thinking ? It had "Fail" written all over it from the git-go. Put the same restaurant in Westport Village, Prospect or (formerly known as) The Summit and it would have had a -much- better chance.

Robin Garr wrote:If I ran a restaurant in the city that had any kind of "Keep Louisville Weird" character, I would think long and hard before trying to make it in the 'burbs.
[/quote]

Gotta agree with ya on this one Food Dude..."Indy" and "Weird" don't necessarily reach flying speed too far outside the Watterson. That being said it makes a fine landing zone for some of the upscale "mini-chains" (Stoney River comes immediately to mind). The REAL gold mine waiting to be prospected is a far east-side Brew Pub. Hell I'd keep a place like that in business on my dime alone. :D
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am

Steve P wrote:Put the same restaurant in Westport Village, Prospect or (formerly known as) The Summit and it would have had a -much- better chance.

Prolly, although I'd be very interested in comparing the monthly lease payments. But you're right, if people won't go to a place in the first place, there's no chance it will ever live up to Yogi Berra's rule.

I have no insider info at all, but I would guess that Anthony thought his name and Seviche's reputation would bring people in no matter where he located, and with low rent, he was probably counting on good margins. I can't imagine that Taj Palace - as good as I personally think its food is - is paying anything like Springhurst rental.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But I still can't help looking back to the disaster that was Seviche's suburban outing. A great, great urban restaurant that thrives in an urban setting and has legitimately earned a national reputation. They opened a branch on Goose Creek (current Taj Palace location) and it only lasted a few months.

That Location was a poor choice for so many reasons. It obviously has no visibility for traffic, the building itself doesn't present itself very well from the outside and the inside was a mess when previous restaurants were in it. Other than the name there wasn't really much to attract customers. Also, as you mentioned they have a state open long enough to begin attracting people.

As with anything else involving real estate location is the key and this location didn't meet any of the required criteria. There are many places outside the Waterson that do however.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Mark R. wrote:

That Location was a poor choice for so many reasons. It obviously has no visibility for traffic, the building itself doesn't present itself very well from the outside and the inside was a mess when previous restaurants were in it. Other than the name there wasn't really much to attract customers. Also, as you mentioned they have a state open long enough to begin attracting people.

As with anything else involving real estate location is the key and this location didn't meet any of the required criteria. There are many places outside the Waterson that do however.

I wonder if the current Seviche would do as well if it were in, say, Come Back Inn's location instead of on a very visible Bardstown Rd corner?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:10 pm

I remember when Casa Grisanti opened in that gawdaweful location it did back in the 70s on Wentzel(?) . Nothing else around it of any note, hardly a charming building and long before venturing into the inner city was hip. They did great. The food and service were wonderful and they flourished. Folks were willin to travel outside of their own little niches.

Here's what I hear/see almost every day - mom and dads that have moved to the suburbs because they have kids but want want nice restaurants to dine in SANS children on their date nights out. Now they are happily going to Anchor Pub , Captains Quarters, or Selina's. (None of which are located in parking lots BTW) because they don't want a 20 or 30 minute drive after a big meal a a bottle of wine. It just seems like there is plenty of room for a few more options. The business is out here. And I think there may be a few more disposable dollars out in the Far East End and Oldham county area then folks are willing to admit. (And I agree with other posters that Seviches was poorly marketed. Don't blame lack of interest in the area.)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I do feel obligated to add this regarding locating in the suburbs...What you save in rent you would have to spend in advertising since foot traffic and visibility is reduced. But, having said that, once you have built your clientele you are less likely to lose them to others. Look how shopping changed in Louisville back in the 50s and 60s when the malls were built and that traffic moved to the suburbs. (And shopping in DT just ceased.)
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Carla G wrote:.mom and dads that have moved to the suburbs because they have kids but want want nice restaurants to dine in SANS children on their date nights out.

:twisted: ....or said another way, DINKS (Dual Income - No Kids) who live in the burbs who have already raised THEIR kids and don't want to put up with yours. :wink:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Steve P wrote:
Carla G wrote:.mom and dads that have moved to the suburbs because they have kids but want want nice restaurants to dine in SANS children on their date nights out.

:twisted: ....or said another way, DINKS (Dual Income - No Kids) who live in the burbs who have already raised THEIR kids and don't want to put up with yours. :wink:

Yeah, them too!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Carla G wrote:. because they don't want a 20 or 30 minute drive after a big meal a a bottle of wine.

This...times about a bah-zillion. Unless someone volunteers to be the DD, I -refuse- to (A) go out for a good meal...without being able to enjoy a couple of beers and (B) then have to run the gauntlet back to my home in the hinterlands. It ain't worth it. 90% of my dining dollar stays on the east side, "outside" the Watterson...and so it shall be. Ya'll come on out, we'll patronize ya.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Gauntlet is a good choice of words too. If I want to eat in a down town restaurant ( or Butchertown say) I must drive back through 3 or 4 different police force areas (2 different counties and goodness knows how many little independent cities.) I am no sot but all it takes is one Barney Fiff wannabe pulling down $300 week as a part time cop on weekends in a fifth class city trying to prove his value to his employers to ruin your night. And then you understand why Steve and I say it isn't worth it. I doubt that we're alone on this.

BTW, what about that property out Shelbyville Rd across from Highview Baptist Church? Once called The Veranda or something like that. Also served as a sushi place. Beautiful, big old house, plenty of parking and a straight shot out Shelbyville Rd. Lots of charm.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Steve
Your wish is close to coming true. Look for a brew pub to open in LaGrange in the next 9 months.
Will Crawford
PreviousNext