Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Blind Pig closing Saturday :(

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Blind Pig closing Saturday :(

by Carla G » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:Old Middletown I see that small enclave of older, maybe 1920 or 1930 houses and boutique shops.

Oh, yeah! All of the older suburbs have those way cool historic centers - Middletown, and Jeffersontown has a good-size one; Harrods Creek, Okolona, Valley Station ... Fern Creek used to, but I'm afraid it's become so thoroughly strip-mall'd that the old landmarks like Fanelli's is pretty much hidden by the CVS and Marathon stations. (C'mon, Creekers, tell me I'm wrong!)

I'm a Creeker (Go Tigers!) and you are so right. Everything past Six Mile Lane has pretty much given way to the 1970s building era. There's nothing left of any of the really old buildings and most of the one time landmarks (like Feganbush Orchards) are gone. (Sniff)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob_DeLessio wrote:Both of the above are in Middletown as well....doing well, and in the same center.

Funny you mention that. I find both those Middletown branches distinctly inferior to their originals. I attribute this to their spinoff nature more than to their location, but the fact is, I rated both M'town branches a notch below their St. Matthews originals bases on both food quality and service.

I've eaten at both locations middletown and St. Matthews probably 20 times at least. I find very little difference, especially with Havana Rumba, but I guess ST st matthews is a little better. I did have a bad meal at Simply Thai middletown my last visit but that was my first bad experience and it was pretty late. I would say if anything Havana Rumbas quality has slipped a little overall rather than the middletown location being of lesser quality than the St. Matthews location.

Regardless I was just making the point that suburbia is supporting them. Some of us don't eat at the Olive Garden every night, i swear!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Jason G wrote:Some of us don't eat at the Olive Garden every night, i swear!

I believe! I do! :mrgreen: (And bear in mind that my Sunday post is within walking distance of Taj Palace, Goose Creek Diner, El Nopal and Wick's, and even a two-minute drive to La Rosita Taqueria.)
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:38 pm

2 hour wait at M&BB at 6:15 tonight. Clearly there is East End demand. :mrgreen:
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Deb Hall wrote:2 hour wait at M&BB at 6:15 tonight. Clearly there is East End demand. :mrgreen:

I don't know how many ways I can spell "Fernando is a marketing genius." (And, to be honest, he builds loyalty with great food at fair prices.

But that said, I can see a difference between Fernando's model and Seviche's model, and I'm not talking about real estate.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Totally agree, Robin, on both points. Yes , Fernando and Cristina are gifted in coming up with the right formula and great food. But there is a lot of demand for great food and fun/cool ambiance at a mid-price on the East End.
Deb
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jason G wrote:Havana Rumba, Simply Thai

I realize I'm mostly just trolling at this point :mrgreen: but I really hardly even think of St. Matthews as "suburban" any more. It's pre-war, it's "inside the Watterson," and demographically, it just seems to me that 40206, 40205 and 40207 are looking more and more alike in a lot of ways.

No, you're not trolling I was thinking the same when I read his post. (But having read further down I see he was referring to the Middletown locations)

Kris Billiter wrote:Just reading through this and wondering. Couldn't most, not all, of the comments regarding Seviche East problematic location have also been made about Mussel& Burger bar? If so, why did one work and not the other? Concept? Price point? I love them both so I'm not picking on anyone. Just wondering.

Having moved here 6 years ago now from Manhattan, and living a few blocks away from Seviche we have never quite gotten the hype. At the time it was on the cutting edge of the whole indy food movement here in Louisville and it was certainly better than any chain, so the hype might have been deserved. But since then its been surpassed, in my opinion, by a number of notable local establishments.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Jason G wrote:I've eaten at both locations middletown and St. Matthews probably 20 times at least. I find very little difference, especially with Havana Rumba, but I guess ST st matthews is a little better. I did have a bad meal at Simply Thai middletown my last visit but that was my first bad experience and it was pretty late. I would say if anything Havana Rumbas quality has slipped a little overall rather than the middletown location being of lesser quality than the St. Matthews location.

HR2 has better ouside seating than the original.

I dont see much difference between the ST locations. I think both are slightly inferior to the original ST St Matts location that seated 6 uncomfortably. :D
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 pm

If I can bring the discussion back to The Blind Pig ;-}. The weekend they closed, they got several offers of space, they've looked at several, and they are in negotiations as we speak. The outpouring of support from the foodie community is really helping the guys deal with all this drama.

Let's keep all our phlanges crossed and send good thoughts. I really needs me some shepherds pie!
Previous