Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Shady Lane Café review

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:28 am

We sing the praises of Shady Lane Café
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

I'd like to sing the praises of Shady Lane Café, but I expect that café owner Susi Smith, an outstanding professional singer, could warble it far better than I; and her husband and co-owner Bill Smith, who's not only a mean hand on the short-order grill but also a poet of some repute, could probably sling some better verses on the topic than I, iambic pentameter or free verse, either way.

But that being said, I'm standing in this pulpit and they're not. So let me just say that Shady Lane Café has been a favorite for quite a while, and judging by the crowds that pack in daily and the applause that comes in from all over, it still is.

Recently, the gang over at Louisville Magazine gave Shady Lane a standing O for its Brownsboro Burger, a feat that Bill wasn't loath to trumpet on the LouisvilleHotBytes.com Forum and the eatery's Facebook page: "Okay guys. Which burger beat out 34 other restaurants in Louisville, including MilkWood, Mussel and Burger Bar, Jack Fry's, etc. to reach the Top Four best burgers in Louisville Mag? You guessed it, SHADY LANE!! Susi and I are honored and we have you to thank."

At which point, what could we do? Mary and I just had to go over and have a piece of that burger — and more — for a nourishing midday repast.

If you haven't been by, it's not that hard to find, tucked into a corner of the Brownsboro Center shopping strip on Brownsboro Road just inside the Watterson Expressway, next door to the big Party Mart liquor store and just down the way from Gasthaus German Restaurant and the newish Henry's Place.

This is an older shopping center, dating back to the Baby Boom years and early suburban sprawl, a place where what we remember as new is starting to look a bit venerable, in a good way. So, no mere storefront, Shady Lane presents a delightfully jumbled neighborhood-diner scene with its tight quarters, steep stairs up to extra seating space at the back, and tchotchkes all over the place on walls the color of Dusseldorf mustard.

Walk in at lunch time, which is pretty much the only time you can walk in, as they're open only 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, starting a bit earlier on Saturdays to allow a pleasant breakfast or brunch from 8:30 on.

The menu is chalked on a blackboard behind the busy counter, where Susi takes the orders and greets just about everyone as a new, old or just-about-to-be friend while Bill backs right up to her as he artfully griddles, smothers, covers and enacts many other short-order verbs on a classic flat-top grill. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/we-si ... -lane-cafe

And in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/dining/we-sing ... -caf%C3%A9

Shady Lane Café
4806 Brownsboro Road
Brownsboro Center
893-5118
shadylanecafe.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shady-La ... 6090429755
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Shady Lane Café review

by Steve P » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 am

Nice review Robin. A "90" and well deserved IMHO. Definitely one of my all time favorites, not just in L'ville but anywhere.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:46 pm

As I have already noted in another thread, I recently enjoyed a fantastic burger at SLC. Absolutely every thing we had ( burger, grilled chicken breast, French fries) was top notch. Be aware however, there is no children's menu. They were kind enough to prepare a sliced , grilled chicken breast for my little man - and he loved it - but I felt awkward having to ask for special treatment especially since they were so busy. Maybe consider a little slider or half sandwiches for kids?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Thank you Robin for the most generous review. I thought you captured the atmosphere and love we put into the Shady Lane, and whatt makes it a wee bit unique for Louisville, and especially out in the "Burbs"
I would apologize for all my shameless self promotion but that would be playing down the passion I really do feel for the food and the customers I serve. Thanks again for starting us off on this journey and checking back in!!
And by the way, MY BAD on the burger. I love my burgers medium rare and I usually hit the mark, but you saw the line and things get a little crazy on the grill. Anyhoo, stop back any time and Mary as well.

Have a good one. Bill and Susi.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:58 pm

I had never heard of Shady Lane until Bill's Burger Boast thread :-) but this review seals the deal- I must find a way to make it over there for lunch.