Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Chili?

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Good Chili?

by Carla G » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm

I like a good chili powder then add extra cumin and cinnamon. Hmmmm, just might have to make some tonight.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:05 pm

In addition to meat, beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasoning, I use Bloemer's base and Spicy V8 juice.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Well, if anyone goes try Village Anchors. It was pretty simple no beans, no noodles, no cinnamon, nothing crazy just meaty chili with some sour cream and cheese but it was super thick, spicy and flavorful.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Our "Secret" for chili is a spice blend we buy from Penzey's called Black and Red. It's a nice blend of Tellicherry black pepper and hot cayenne red pepper that hits in the back of your mouth after the initial impact of the chili. We also use a mix of several of their chili powders to get the correct heat. We normally grind our own course ground beef in most cases. We also use a mix of light and dark red as well as black beans and a little corn. Pasta is prohibited!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 pm

I just got in and haven't re-checked the thread, but I recall The Cafe on Brent as having a good, hearty, traditional chili - I think they call it "Montana Style" or something like that.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Alanna H wrote:In addition to meat, beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasoning, I use Bloemer's base and Spicy V8 juice.

Substitute Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix for the spicy V-8....You'll never go back. Promise.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Mark R. wrote:Our "Secret" for chili is a spice blend we buy from Penzey's called Black and Red. It's a nice blend of Tellicherry black pepper and hot cayenne red pepper that hits in the back of your mouth after the initial impact of the chili. We also use a mix of several of their chili powders to get the correct heat. We normally grind our own course ground beef in most cases. We also use a mix of light and dark red as well as black beans and a little corn. Pasta is prohibited!

Sounds pretty similar to mine....right down to the Penzy's Black and Red spice and Penzy's Chili powder blends. I use at -least- 3 types of beans but not the corn. DEFINITELY no pasta.... :|

I also try to use chopped smoked brisket in lieu of (or in addition to) ground beef....adds a lot to the flavor profile but ya gotta simmer it a lot longer to get the beef tender enough.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Steve P wrote:Substitute Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix for the spicy V-8....You'll never go back. Promise.

Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a try!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Steve P wrote: Sounds pretty similar to mine....right down to the Penzy's Black and Red spice and Penzy's Chili powder blends. I use at -least- 3 types of beans but not the corn. DEFINITELY no pasta.... :|

I also try to use chopped smoked brisket in lieu of (or in addition to) ground beef....adds a lot to the flavor profile but ya gotta simmer it a lot longer to get the beef tender enough.

I've used smoked brisket before and really like it but unfortunately don't have been around these days. The longer you simmer it the better it is anyway and it's even better the 2nd or 3rd day! I add the corn more for color and texture than anything, it really doesn't add any flavor. I never have figured out the pasta in chili thing now have I figured out these things they call white chili! Chili definitely has to be Red, you can use chicken or turkey if you want but it still has to be Red.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:47 pm

I am a huge fan of the bison chili at Cumberland.

I also really like the chili at Doc Crow's. They call it Texas-style. I am in no way an expert as to what that means, exactly, or if their chili is authentically Texas-style. All I can say is that the broth is red and delicious and it's otherwise made up of pretty much just chunks of meant.
no avatar
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Sorry kids, I feel the need to chime in on this topic. I'm from Texas (wait, was that the sound of someone knotting a noose, lighting a torch, fetching pitchforks from the barn?) & am so very sorry you good folk have not tasted REAL, AUTHENTIC chili. Chili con Carne (chilies with meat) is basically just that; a dried chile, meat (usually diced) stew thickened with masa harina & spices (usually Mexican oregano, salt & lots of cumin). Sometimes onion & garlic are thrown into the mix, but Purists would never consider adding tomatoes or beans to the pot, & spaghetti!!! WTF????
All that being said, I am not such a snotty epicurean that I cannot appreciate a big o bowl of local chili (beans & all) heaped upon a big pile of steaming spaghetti covered with a thick blanket of melting shredded cheese. Throw on a heaping handful of diced onion & jalapeno and you have yourself a very fine, hearty supper for a cold wintery night.
All recipes come from somewhere & all popular recipes have been adapted for particular regions. All of the adapted regional recipes have their own particular merits (let's not speak of BBQ; remember I'm from Texas)(Hey!!! I just heard someone chambering a round into their firearm; NOT FUNNY!!!)
Please, think outside your "local" box & explore the origins of your local, regional favorite "specialties". I do believe you will find it enlightening.
P.S. Cinnamon & chocolate in my chili (I chambering my own round.)
Carry on; and to all a good night.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Patrick, your chili sounds marvelous, especially the abundance of cumin. My recipe came from a skilled cook from Lebanon where the use of cinnamon with meat is commonplace. I've had folks want to shoot me for SOME of my cooking but never my chili. :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Patrick Kelting wrote: REAL, AUTHENTIC chili. Chili con Carne (chilies with meat) is basically just that; a dried chile, meat (usually diced) stew thickened with masa harina & spices (usually Mexican oregano, salt & lots of cumin). Sometimes onion & garlic are thrown into the mix,

Say, podnuh! That sounds an awful lot like authentic Mexican chile colorado. I wonder where those wacky Texans got that idea ... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Podnuh? Surely an accomplished wordsmith such as yourself can realize the word is actually spelled " Partnah". You really need to work on your colloquialisms.
You are right( as, usually always,) classic Texas chili comes from classic Mexican recipes. Again, regional influences took over. The Chili Queens in San Antonio ( & others ) actually created what we now know as Chili. Chili is a totally American invention; as far as I can tell.
If you travel to Mexico, you will be hard-pressed to find anything resembling "Chili" on their menus; unless you are visiting a border town that accommodates "touristas".
You know what? I just realized this entire discussion is kinda dumb. I like chili in any shape or form. Chili should be enjoyed with whatever garnishment the enjoyer cares to dump upon their steaming hot pile of chili goodness. Pile on the cheese, ladle over big, steaming bowls of pasta. Eat, eat, mangia, mangia.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Patrick Kelting wrote:You know what? I just realized this entire discussion is kinda dumb. I like chili in any shape or form. Chili should be enjoyed with whatever garnishment the enjoyer cares to dump upon their steaming hot pile of chili goodness. Pile on the cheese, ladle over big, steaming bowls of pasta. Eat, eat, mangia, mangia.

Yes! Tell it, brothuh! Er, brothah! Come to the light! Coooooommmmee tooooo theeeeee liiiiiiight! :lol:
PreviousNext