Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hungarian?

no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Hungarian?

by Jeff Gillenwater » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Does anyone know where I might find Hungarian food around the metro? My perusal of the dining guide has proven no help.

Thanks.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:27 pm

I wish I could tell you of a place...but no luck....I too miss Hungraian food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hungarian?

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Jeff Gillenwater wrote:Does anyone know where I might find Hungarian food around the metro? My perusal of the dining guide has proven no help.

No, sadly. Years ago there was a nice Hungarian spot out in LaGrange, but the Hungarian owners retired and moved to Florida.

If Eastern European comes close enough to suit, there are a number of little Bosnian places around, but I understand it's not the same.
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:51 pm

As Robin said its not the same, but you may want to check out Bosna Mak just off Bardstown rd in Buechel? Its also a great place for gyos.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Hungarian

by Gary Michael » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:33 am

Closest I am aware of would be in Chicago. Check out metromix.com
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

by Jeff Gillenwater » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions. A relative was married to the son of first generation Hungarian immigrants for a while so holiday meal contributions were always interesting. I honestly don't remember the names of most dishes. I just know they were good.

I'll check out the Bosnian options and ponder whether I have a good enough excuse for another Eastern Europe excursion.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:15 am

Ah, the memories.

Classic Hungarian cuisine is unapologetically bad for your health and just as savory to the taste buds. One makes sauce from sour cream and paprika and slathers it on everything from goulash on the plate to chicken, fries up monstrous schnitzels, wolfs down cold sour cherry soup, nibbles on tasty mild peppers, or enjoys the fantastic hard salami hanging seductively behind the meat counter.

Plenty of red wine, average beer, lots of fruit brandies.

I used to cook Hungarian at home, far less so now owing to D's vegeterian proclivities. Maybe again soon.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:25 pm

Robert:

This is what happens when small Mom & Pop places are forced out by your beloved chains. With chains you eat what the masses eat, and I guess the masses didn't like Hungarian.

ironic isn't it?
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 pm

Nermana's was Hungarian as well as Bosnian, right? I miss that place...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:50 pm

MarieP wrote:Nermana's was Hungarian as well as Bosnian, right? I miss that place...

Not to the best of my knowledge. The family that owned and operated it came here straight from Sarajevo.

However, "guljas" is commonplace on Bosnian tables, which takes me back to my original suggestion that while Bosnian is certainly <i>not</i> Magyar, these hearty Eastern European cuisines do have some commonalities.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 pm

Not really Ron...If you have a good product people will come back...Lets see the places to eat in Downtown La Grange seem to be doing good as is Steve O's in Buckner...Ron what you say is just the excuse that you always hear....Bottom line if the food is good the people will come back.... :)
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote:Nermana's was Hungarian as well as Bosnian, right? I miss that place...

Not to the best of my knowledge. The family that owned and operated it came here straight from Sarajevo.

However, "guljas" is commonplace on Bosnian tables, which takes me back to my original suggestion that while Bosnian is certainly <i>not</i> Magyar, these hearty Eastern European cuisines do have some commonalities.

Ok....just when I think of cabbage rolls I think Hungarian for some reason. Then again. Irish Rover has their own take on them too.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 pm

Also there are places closer to us then Chicago....Ron I am surprized that you did not mention these places since you run the Cincinnnatti Food Forum.....They are not the greatest but they are not bad....Lenhardts at 151 W McMillan Street...it is a German Hungarian place and also Cristofs has some good Hungarian dishes also they are at 16 Village Sq....Hope this helps you out....
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Now I really want some goulash.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Not really Ron...If you have a good product people will come back...Lets see the places to eat in Downtown La Grange seem to be doing good as is Steve O's in Buckner...Ron what you say is just the excuse that you always hear....Bottom line if the food is good the people will come back.... :)
Sometimes....that is not enough!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)