Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Doughnuts

no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Okay, I KNEW donuts were bad for you but...

by Aaron Newton » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:07 pm

Someone just showed me the amount trans fats in each one at the Krispy Kreme web site. I knew they were there. I just didn't think there was that much...holy cow.

So, does anyone know if any of the local places avoid the use of hydrogenated oils in their donuts? I'm guessing it's highly unlikely, but I'm hoping...
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Trans Fats

by Kim H » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Most of the trans fats, particulary for frying, are being replaced with palm oil, which is loaded with saturated fat, and not necessarily a better alternative. But as with so many of the 'what is bad for you' trends, this latest villan that is called trans fats has forced most food companies and restaurants to remove it, and there are very limited alternatives that achieve similar results. Trans fats occur during a partial hydrogination process as in shortening, which is what many places use for frying, glossing in chocolate on cookies, etc. I'd rather they post the trans fats, along with other nutritional information, and let the consumer make the choice.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Er yeah... I'm not getting into the trans fats debates.

I just asked if any of the local bakeries had made moves to eliminate them. Let the consumer make the choice? That's what I'm doing. I choose to avoid trans fats in large quantities and am searching for a possible outlet to both eat donuts, and avoid the massive quantities found in most.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Fat, trans, mono, tri, saturated, etc.

by Doogy R » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:08 am

If that doughnut tastes good, Doogy is eating it. He doesn't care where the fat came from or what kind it is. I agree with Emeril, pork fat RULES.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Doughnuts

by Kim H » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:Er yeah... I'm not getting into the trans fats debates.

I just asked if any of the local bakeries had made moves to eliminate them. Let the consumer make the choice? That's what I'm doing. I choose to avoid trans fats in large quantities and am searching for a possible outlet to both eat donuts, and avoid the massive quantities found in most.

My bad. Best of luck in your search for a healthy deep fried breakfast cake! :P
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:51 pm

:lol: and if your on the Atkins Diet...Pork Rinds rule also....as for the other post from David....try the pink pill next time....I am off to Madison Indiana on this great sunny day and walk the Downtown...then go up to the HillTop and go to Wal- Mart..... :lol: Get out and enjoy the great weekend...Looks like a shot of colder air coming in the first week of April....Dont start planting yet.... :lol:
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:54 pm

I think donuts were around long before trans fat, and I'm fairly certain that palm oil was not a staple of French patisseries and Viennese bakeries, so why not just go back to the original recipes?

Is Blue Dog using palm oil or trans fats?
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

trans fatty butter

by C. Devlin » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:37 pm

A recent New York Times article about trans fat revealed that real butter has small amounts of trans fats and that when Tom Cat Bakery of Long Island who'd sworn off trans fats was confronted with the restrictions of trans fats in some clients' products, they decided to make their beloved, buttery croissants with something other than butter and weren't particularly happy about the results. They're still committed to the no trans-fats philosophy, but they were struggling with making what they considered a decent croissant and other baked goods for many of their bigger clients.

.... Just went to look it up so I could forward the article on here:

Trans Fat Fight Claims Butter as a Victim

by Kim Severson
March 7, 2007, The New York Times

MATTHEW REICH is a baker dedicated to natural ingredients. He prefers butter in the cookies and brioche he turns out at Tom Cat Bakery in Long Island City, Queens, and like many professional cooks he applauds the public health effort to get artificial trans fat out of food.

But, in a twist of science, the law and what some call trans-fat hysteria, Mr. Reich and other wholesale bakers are being forced to substitute processed fats like palm oil and margarine for good old-fashioned butter because of the small amounts of natural trans fat butter contains.

Some researchers believe that the trans fat that occurs naturally in butter, meat, milk and cheese might actually be healthy. But to satisfy companies that want to call their foods completely free of trans fats, bakers like Mr. Reich are altering serving sizes, cutting back on butter and in some cases using ingredients like trans fat-free margarine.

to read the rest, the link....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/07/dinin ... 69&ei=5070
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:19 pm

This is where I get frustrated. Seems there is always someone trying to tell you what is good for you, what is bad for you, and then wait a few years, and the story changes. Butter v. margarine; don't eat eggs, ok, eat eggs; eat fish, wait! don't eat fish!, etc. There are some environmental reasons for some things, which I respect, but having the government control our choices on health, or worse - trends to avoid gov't control - are irritating. My grandparents cooked with Crisco, and lived to be almost 90. Let the people make the choice.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

The prosecution rests.

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Let the record show that this was a perfectly reasonable thread until Robert interjected Wal-Mart. His doing so bore no resemblance to the discussion taking place.

He does pretty every single time, and for no other reason than to bait others.

Wal-Mart most certainly is cancer, and Robert's for it. That's sick, folks. Just plain sick.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: The prosecution rests.

by Doogy R » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Wal-Mart most certainly is cancer, and Robert's for it. That's sick, folks. Just plain sick.

I am no fan of Walmart, but somehow they have become the largest corporation in the world. Please explain this to me. Someone wants them around. By the way, I believe we are not to attack others on this board, regardless of our personal feelings.
Last edited by Doogy R on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:22 am

Roger, lighten up! I dislike the wallymarts of the world too but get over it. The mention of the name in passing should not bring out such bile.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: The prosecution rests.

by Doogy R » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:36 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Let the record show that this was a perfectly reasonable thread until Robert interjected Wal-Mart.

What made it unreasonable after that? Aren't we all entitled to our own opinions, whether or not we agree? Some people may think your opinion is unreasonable.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Doughnuts

by Aaron Newton » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Kim H wrote:My bad. Best of luck in your search for a healthy deep fried breakfast cake! :P

Look, you may not care, and you might think it's hysteria. But not everyone hides their heads in the sand when research points to a likely problem and while there is dissenting opinion, prevailing thought is that high amounts of trans fats are very dangerous, much more so than saturated fats which at least contributes to your HDL, while trans lowers it.

The knowlege that there are small amounts of trans fats in butter and other animal products is not new. In fact, no one recommends getting rid of trans completely specificly for this reason. Naturally occuring trans fats are taken in as a matter of course in very small amounts, and to eliminate them would be both impossible and pointless.

Such a sarcastic response to a desire to eliminate them in the astronomically high amounts due to artificial uses is, quite frankly, sad.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Well the knowledge that there are small amounts of naturally-occuring trans fats in butter and other animal products may not be new, but it's safe to assume the general public, who'd never heard the term "trans fat" until the fairly recent brouhaha over the subject, doesn't know that. So in that sense, it's new to the majority of folks who don't know trans fat from a hole in the wall.
PreviousNext