Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Doughnuts

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: The prosecution rests.

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:36 am

Doogy R wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:Wal-Mart most certainly is cancer, and Robert's for it. That's sick, folks. Just plain sick.

I am no fan of Walmart, but somehow they have become the largest corporation in the world. Please explain this to me. Someone wants them around. By the way, I believe we are not to attack others on this board, regardless of our personal feelings.

Just because something is popular or highly in demand doesn't make it a good thing Doogy. Take crack for example . . . or Clay Aiken.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Rebuttal, counselor.

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:07 am

It's not about Wal-Mart (which is the gate of hell, opening) it is about the personal attack on Robert. Doogy is right on this one.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

New Ideas maybe?

by Linda C » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Every Wednesday for donuts. Hmmm..I don't think an occasional splurge will kill anyone, but have you ever considered doing something a little healthier, especially for youth? Habits start early in life. How about Starlight for some fat free custard? How about getting a big watermelon and going to the park for a picnic/walk? Just a thought, not trying to be negative.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Re: New Ideas maybe?

by Sonja W » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 am

Linda C wrote:Every Wednesday for donuts. Hmmm..I don't think an occasional splurge will kill anyone, but have you ever considered doing something a little healthier, especially for youth? Habits start early in life. How about Starlight for some fat free custard? How about getting a big watermelon and going to the park for a picnic/walk? Just a thought, not trying to be negative.

I applaud Kris' involvement with her youth group, and I also think that Linda makes an important point. If we're trying to put good things into children's minds, why not also their bodies?

It doesn't have to be a food reward, but a tub of sherbet or some popsicles would be healthier. How about Waterfront Park, the Humane Society, someplace outside their usual routine?

Let's help Kris out here with some creative suggestions that would be easy for her to execute.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Ummm...

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:30 pm

First, thanks for the suggestions. Didn't mean for this to get to a Wal Mart debate. Second, I guess I should reveal that Kris is short for Kristopher. People always ask why I spell it that way. I take time to explain to them that I didn't really have a lot to do with the decision. As to your concerns for healthier eating, you are right. Don't intend to continue the every Wednesdya doughnut thing forever. It was a jumping off point. We will branch out to healthier options I promise! I am hoping to maybe even start some cooking classes for the students at some point. I am trying to do some different things for our students to expand their horizons of what church can be. I know not everyone here is down wth my particular beliefs, but I truly believe that I am responsible for ministering to the whole student not just the spiritual side of things. Working with suburban and inner city kids, one of my main goals is show them areas of life that have never experienced and hopefully inspire them to dream big for thier future. No one really wanted to know all of that. Sorry!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:35 pm

No problem...All that I said was that they made good dounuts...Then the usual bashers of large stores or chains...made there comments that had nothing to do with my original post..... :lol:
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

Re: Ummm...

by Alise Oliver » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:First, thanks for the suggestions. Didn't mean for this to get to a Wal Mart debate. Second, I guess I should reveal that Kris is short for Kristopher. People always ask why I spell it that way. I take time to explain to them that I didn't really have a lot to do with the decision. As to your concerns for healthier eating, you are right. Don't intend to continue the every Wednesdya doughnut thing forever. It was a jumping off point. We will branch out to healthier options I promise! I am hoping to maybe even start some cooking classes for the students at some point. I am trying to do some different things for our students to expand their horizons of what church can be. I know not everyone here is down wth my particular beliefs, but I truly believe that I am responsible for ministering to the whole student not just the spiritual side of things. Working with suburban and inner city kids, one of my main goals is show them areas of life that have never experienced and hopefully inspire them to dream big for thier future. No one really wanted to know all of that. Sorry!

You handled that very nicely. A doughnut once a week is a great treat. I don't know what the big deal was.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Ummm...

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:First, thanks for the suggestions. Didn't mean for this to get to a Wal Mart debate. Second, I guess I should reveal that Kris is short for Kristopher. People always ask why I spell it that way. I take time to explain to them that I didn't really have a lot to do with the decision. As to your concerns for healthier eating, you are right. Don't intend to continue the every Wednesdya doughnut thing forever. It was a jumping off point. We will branch out to healthier options I promise! I am hoping to maybe even start some cooking classes for the students at some point. I am trying to do some different things for our students to expand their horizons of what church can be. I know not everyone here is down wth my particular beliefs, but I truly believe that I am responsible for ministering to the whole student not just the spiritual side of things. Working with suburban and inner city kids, one of my main goals is show them areas of life that have never experienced and hopefully inspire them to dream big for thier future. No one really wanted to know all of that. Sorry!

Kris, good for you. I think it's fine for a kid to get a donut once a week. Especially a kid who might not otherwise get such a treat.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 pm

:lol: Hey i have lost over 53 pounds since last August....and that is without starving myself...Atkins Diet...There is nothing wrong with have a dounut or whatever once in a while....The key is once in a while....I had a thin crust pizza just a few days ago... :lol: :lol:
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:12 pm

I agree. Doughnuts for Everyone! Whose buying? 8)
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:15 pm

Charles W. wrote:I agree. Doughnuts for Everyone! Whose buying? 8)

I think Kris is. :wink:
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Donuts.

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:55 pm

Count me in. I loves me donuts.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
Previous