Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Doughnuts

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Good Doughnuts

by Kris Billiter » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Every Wednesday afternoon I take a small group of kids from my youth group to eat doughnuts. We alternate between Krispy Kreme and a little independent place on Preston next to Sunergos whose name currently escapes me. I'm a little burned out on both places, though they are both very good. Anyone have a can't miss doughnut spot that is stillopen in the afternoon?

Kris
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:19 pm

The place next to Sunergos is Nord's. Good donuts.

Try Plehn's in St. Matthews. They make my favorite donuts and danishes.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Ron Johnson wrote: Try Plehn's in St. Matthews. They make my favorite donuts and danishes.

Plehn's, is that across from the old Bacon's? :wink:
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Ralph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:17 pm

Louisville

..across from Bacons.....

by Ralph M » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:01 pm

Around the corner from the burned-down House of Dragon, if memory serves....
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Doughnuts

by MarieP » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote: Try Plehn's in St. Matthews. They make my favorite donuts and danishes.

And across the street and down a few doors from some place called "BBC" something or another. :wink:

Nord's is good! A library patron bought us staff a big box of them about a week ago. Yum... I had a strawberry crueller.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Bacon's Building

by Deb Hall » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:53 pm

For those not originally from Louisville... :lol: Plehns is across from Burgdorf's (ie the old Bacon's building) and Cafe Emilie on Shelbyville Road.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:37 pm

We love Sugar-n-Spice on Bardstown Rd in Fern Creek. I don't know about their afternoon hours but if you ever have a chance, make sure to stop by weekend mornings. They have a crazy amount of really different donuts, flavors I have never seen anywhere else.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:

Yep. If you're coming from where Hawley Cooke used to be just go past where Sears used to be, and past where Thornberry's Toys used to be. If you get to where Maier's Tavern used to be you've gone to far. Just go up to where the White Castle used to be and turn around.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Doughnuts.

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Don't forget Donut Kastle in Lyndon. It's on Lyndon Lane just before you get to La Grange Rd. I've been eating yummies there since my teenage years. An old girlfriend of mine worked there and would let me behind the counter during early hours on the weekends. :wink:
Last edited by Doogy R on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

Re: Dougnuts.

by Alise Oliver » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Doogy R wrote:Don't forget Donut Kastle in Lyndon. It's on Lyndon Lane just before you get to La Grange Rd. I've been eating yummies there since my teenage years. An old girlfriend of mine worked there and would let me behind the counter during early hours on the weekends. :wink:

A friend of mine went to Donut Kastle on Sunday morning (around 8:30) and said they were all closed up, paper on the windows? Hope they are still open for business!
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Even when it was running full bore the Donut Kastle always looked closed when driving by. They have the 2nd best donuts in town next to Plehn's.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:42 am

I used to get a blueberry cake donut at Donut Kastle that was pretty damned good.
no avatar
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I used to get a blueberry cake donut at Donut Kastle that was pretty damned good.

seconded... :)
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

The Kastle

by Chris M » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:09 am

Donut Kastle closes up when they run out of donuts, which on Sunday morning can be pretty early.

They are definitely NOT a place that would be open and / or have donutes in the afternoon.

Early morning only, but they are worth getting up and out early for. No doubt about that.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

Plehn's

by Aaron Newton » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:09 am

For some reason I've still not managed to get to Plehn's... almost always get Nord's, or KK if I'm not up for the drive. I may have to give it a shot this weekend since I should be up early.
Next