Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Taj Palace review

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:13 pm

It's the rice, but not just the rice, at Taj Palace
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Little things mean a lot. Even something as little as a grain of rice can mean a lot. Of course, it takes 7,200 grains of rice to fill a cup, or so sayeth the Google, but that's not important right now. Let's talk about rice, and in particular the spectacular rice at Taj Palace.

Trust me on this, folks. I love Indian food, and I'm a fan of Taj, which has survived a journey around three East End locations. I go there fairly often. But the other night, sampling a bite of simple, extra-long-grain basmati rice from a side platter, I suddenly experienced what philosophers call an epiphany, a sudden, almost spiritual insight into the deeper meaning of things. Specifically, rice. And Taj Palace.

This is simple rice, almost plain. White, long grains, flecked with occasional bits of brown spice. Cinnamon maybe? Or clove? Its subtle yet commanding aromas didn't speak so much of exotic spices, though, as the ethereal floral, slightly nutty character of basmati rice, and maybe just a whiff of the Indian clarified butter called ghee. Each grain was separate, yet the rice was succulent, not dry. I bit into a single grain and found it firm yet yielding. This, friends, was perfect rice, and for a moment I thought I could probably just make my meal of it.

But then I saw all the other stuff on the menu.

Taj seems to be a neighborhood eatery for the Westport Road area, mostly, and when we dined there on a Saturday night, a lot more people were lining up for takeout than filling up tables in the cool, classy dining room (which once housed Seviche's short-lived suburban venture). Taj is generally packed at lunchtime, though, when a well-made, carefully tended Indian buffet is $8.99, and I'm as likely as not to be part of that crowd when I'm working out that way.

After our recent evening trip, I may head out there for dinner more often.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/its-t ... taj-palace

And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/it%E2%80%99 ... taj-palace

Taj Palace Indian Restaurant
2929 Goose Creek Road
423-9692
tajpalacelouisville.com
Robin Garr's rating: 86 points
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Taj Palace review

by Heather L » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Probably this vegetarian's favorite Indian buffet in town at the moment. Although Dakshin is still up there as well.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Heather L wrote:Probably this vegetarian's favorite Indian buffet in town at the moment. Although Dakshin is still up there as well.

I love Dakshin too, but one of my several work places is about a 45-second drive from Taj. :lol:
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I'd love to try Indian food, and everything on their menu sounded delicious. I don't know how I could narrow it down to just one dish. Does their buffet have a decent variety of offerings?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Alanna H wrote:I'd love to try Indian food, and everything on their menu sounded delicious. I don't know how I could narrow it down to just one dish. Does their buffet have a decent variety of offerings?

Alanna, I think the buffet would be a great option. It's not huge, but it's plenty diverse, with about six veggie options and four meat options plus salads, rice and desserts. My friend Anne and I go over to lunch often, and between us we usually try everything on the buffet. And it's all good. :)