Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Mussel & Burger Bar review

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Mussel & Burger (& Elotes) Bar
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

Okay, I have to admit, I was dubious at first about the idea of this new place in J'town bringing together mussels and burgers as its signature dishes. When I heard that Cristina and Fernando Martinez and his cousin, Yaniel, were going to build a bill of fare around two such disparate edibles, my imagination pushed back: "One of these things is not like the other."

But the proof of the pudding – and the mussels and burgers, too – lies in the tasting, and the crowds that have been packing this place since January tell the tale. So, yeah, bring on your mussels and your burgers, even on the same plate.

With seven mussel dishes and 13 burgers on the expansive menu, you can build 91 combinations of the popular eatery's signature dishes. But don't stop there. Whatever else you order, do not fail to summon an order of the fabulous elotes.

The menu describes this classic Mexico City street food dish under "Sides" with dignified understatement: "Elotes Callejeros – Mexican style corn on the cob with mayo, Parmesan cheese and chili powder, $4."

Note, this is not "elotes en vaso," corn kernels smooshed with mayo and Mexican queso blanco and hot sauce in a styro cup. Not that this taco-truck specialty doesn't have its own allure, but Mussel & Burger Bar's on-the-cob version takes it a hop, skip and a jump beyond.

One, however, cannot live by elotes alone, and the good news is that just about everything else on the menu more than passes muster, too.

On a recent visit with a group of friends, we tried mussels and a burger, among other menu items.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/musse ... elotes-bar

and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... lotes-bar/

Mussel & Burger Bar
9200 Taylorsville Road
384-4834
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Musselburgerbar
Robin Garr's rating: 89 points
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Mussel & Burger Bar review

by Rick G » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Been there and thought it was good but didn't think it was as good as all the hype.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:54 am

Rick G wrote:hype.

Are you talking about hype, Rick (overly glowing advertising), or saying you just don't agree with the reviews? I'm not taking offense, but I generally do try not to write hype. :mrgreen:
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 am

I think he was referring to the fact that "everyone's" talking about Mussel & Burger Bar. Maybe buzz is a better word than hype. I ate there and have to admit that I came away very impressed. We went around 12:30 on a Saturday and the place was packed. :shock: I have heard mixed opinions about this place so I would advise ignoring any negative feedback and just go try it for yourself! :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm

We've been very impressed with the food most times we been there. The biggest probably found was trying to figure out which of the many items on the menu we wanted to order, they all sound good, and are! The portions are huge so don't plan on having an appetizer for yourself, they are certainly large enough to share. The burgers are more than a handful and really lend themselves to be eaten with a knife and fork. It's hard to leave enough room for dessert but we did try the same dessert Robin had and it was excellent! Like every other restaurants that Fernando and Christina have been involved in is and will continue to be a great place to eat. Between excellent food and reasonable prices they are certainly hard to be in the Louisville marketplace.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:28 am

Your right Paul "Buzz" is probably a better word. No Robin I'm not referring to your review. I just kept hearing that this place was to die for. I guess I was prepared to be blown away and found that it was good but I guess my expectations were just way to high. Would I recommend the place? Yes. What I tell someone it is to die for? No.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 pm

Rick G wrote:Your right Paul "Buzz" is probably a better word. No Robin I'm not referring to your review. I just kept hearing that this place was to die for. I guess I was prepared to be blown away and found that it was good but I guess my expectations were just way to high. Would I recommend the place? Yes. What I tell someone it is to die for? No.

Thanks for the clarity, Rick, I appreciate it. I just got hooked by the word "hype." :lol:

I think I'm pretty much with you. I do think Fernando & Co. have a magic touch in designing places that will be really popular with a good cross-section of the community. I would rate any of their places in the city's top 40, but maybe not top 10, and I hope that's fair to everyone and offensive to none.