Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mimo's Pizzeria

no avatar
User

Svend J

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 am

Mimo's Pizzeria

by Svend J » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am

I'm surprised by the lack of talk about this pizzeria in New Albany that opened about a year ago. Outstanding NY style pizza and they have great sandwiches and pasta. Has anyone else visited Mimo's Pizzeria?

https://www.facebook.com/MimosPizzeria
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mimo's Pizzeria

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks for the alert, Svend! We do have some active New Albany boosters around here, but for whatever reason, Mimo's has been beneath the radar. New York-style? That's an incentive to get me over there!
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 am

Svend, thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware and we LOVE NY style pizza.
Is this place up in Floyds Knobs?
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:36 am

I had lunch there a bit ago. The register was still programmed to say "La Bocca" as it is run by close family to the La Bocca downtown. But they changed their name early on. It's a family pizza / pasta place catering to a similar need to Steve's Pizza King & Arni's, I'd say. Quite casual, not a La Bocca clone at all. I had a pasta with vodka sauce I enjoyed, haven't tried the pizza yet. At the time they had no beer or wine, dunno if that's been rectified. It is a little up Paoli Pike from I-265 in the little commercial center by what my wife and I always called the Burning Apartments. Not sure the proper name as it changed over the last 30+ years through numerous fires during that time.
no avatar
User

Svend J

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Svend J » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Lisa Stephenson wrote:Svend, thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware and we LOVE NY style pizza.
Is this place up in Floyds Knobs?

It's actually on the way up Paoli Pike, right before you get into Floyds Knobs.
no avatar
User

Svend J

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Svend J » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:I had lunch there a bit ago. The register was still programmed to say "La Bocca" as it is run by close family to the La Bocca downtown. But they changed their name early on. It's a family pizza / pasta place catering to a similar need to Steve's Pizza King & Arni's, I'd say. Quite casual, not a La Bocca clone at all. I had a pasta with vodka sauce I enjoyed, haven't tried the pizza yet. At the time they had no beer or wine, dunno if that's been rectified. It is a little up Paoli Pike from I-265 in the little commercial center by what my wife and I always called the Burning Apartments. Not sure the proper name as it changed over the last 30+ years through numerous fires during that time.

Yep, they do have beer and wine now.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 am

I love this place. It's a small mom and pop operation. Nice people and the pizza really is New York style. A lot of places advertise this but very few deliver on that promise. They do. I used to venture across the river to Luigi's for my fix of the stuff but now I really don't have to.
no avatar
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Second everything John said. We were in the area today and stopped in for dinner thanks to this thread. What a pleasant surprise! Very friendly service, delicious NY style pizza, and fun treat of free garlic bread beforehand. With real chopped garlic on top, not the slimy "garlick" "butter" you'd find in many spots. Recommended.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed May 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Yes, I am bumping a thread from 2013! I was going to create a thread about this place, but did a search first so will just add my comments here.

My husband and I stopped at this place for lunch on Saturday, on our way to the Starlight Strawberry Festival. Side note - was shocked to find out that the festival ships in all of their berries from California?

ANYWAY - we were hungry and on our way and almost cruised right by Mimo's but it caught my husband's eye so we turned around and went to check it out. In the interest of full disclosure, I am married to an Italian from New Jersey. Our last name ends with an "i" and everything. :lol:

As soon as we stepped in and he saw the menu board, he got excited. When he saw the case holding sausage rolls, spinach rolls, etc., he got even more excited. This is from a guy who really doesn't even eat pizza around here at all. We sat down and the sweet owner brought us some hot garlic knots and our drinks. Garlic knots were very good! Hot, fresh garlic and great sauce.

I ordered an eggplant parm hero and my husband had the sausage hero. We also had to order a slice of cheese pizza to see if they passed the test. Ordering eggplant is always a gamble. When it's good, it's very very good, but when it's bad it can be pretty horrendous. This was some seriously good eggplant. Thin, crispy and cooked perfectly. He also loved his sausage sandwich. The owner knew we were sharing the slice, so she sweetly cut it in half before she brought it out. It was perfect and just what the jersey boy thinks of when he wants a slice. Their sauce is good folks.....

We loved this place so much that I had to talk him out of running right back up there the next night for dinner. I have a feeling we will be there this weekend though for some more NY style pizza/pasta. We highly recommend it!!!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Sat May 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Heather. I'm glad it passed your husband's test. I'm also Italian from New Jersey and I like the place a lot.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks John! We went back on Saturday night. They need some serious improvement with the air conditioning situation. However, the linguine with clams was the best my husband has ever had and included whole clams in the shell!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)