Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Rails- the new Restaurant in LaGrange

by Will Crawford » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Rails is the name of the place going into the old Irish Rover Too location.
According to their Facebook page, they will feature local bison, beef, lamb and vegetables. Ashbourne Farms and the Kentucky Bison company are some of their vendors.

I'm looking forward to their opening.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Terry G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Rails- the new Restaurant in LaGrange

by Terry G » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:08 am

Good luck. If The Rover could not make, who can? A restaurant with bison? I do not think so. Give the customers what they want as opposed to what you think they want. You are running a restaurant not a school unless this is a hobby for you.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:32 am

Terry G wrote:Good luck. If The Rover could not make, who can? A restaurant with bison? I do not think so. Give the customers what they want as opposed to what you think they want. You are running a restaurant not a school unless this is a hobby for you.

I don't think it was a question of the Rover Too not "making it"....hell, they had a helluva good run...I think it was more they got an offer they couldn't refuse for the property. Makes perfect sense to me.

As for giving people "what they want"...I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 am

Terry G wrote:Good luck. If The Rover could not make, who can? A restaurant with bison? I do not think so. Give the customers what they want as opposed to what you think they want. You are running a restaurant not a school unless this is a hobby for you.

Yeah who would want to order Bison?
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:19 am

Will Crawford wrote:Yeah who would want to order Bison?

Buffalo Bill? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Steve P wrote:

I don't think it was a question of the Rover Too not "making it"....hell, they had a helluva good run...I think it was more they got an offer they couldn't refuse for the property. Makes perfect sense to me.

As for giving people "what they want"...I guess we'll have to wait and see.
what Steve said...
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:02 pm

I personally like it as a lean alternative to beef, actually it has more flavor!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:39 pm

Mark R. wrote:

I personally like it as a lean alternative to beef, actually it has more flavor!

I should have put a wink wink thing by the post.

I actually fed my family for 9 years by selling Bison meat and other things that people did not want.
I look forward to this concept and think they will do very well.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 pm

We as well look forward to Rails. The Troutman's have other successful stores in LaGrange so we have hopes for this. Beef, Bison, Bourbon and Lamb all close to home are just some of the menu items to look forward too.

Service in Oldham County is still a concern as Steve P stated in another post. Hopefully that issue will be corrected at Rails.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Per their Facebook page - They hope to be open around Sept 20th and have apparently retained many of the Rovers former employees. There was a brief reply on the Facebook page implying a beer list above and beyond the usual cast of domestic characters...Otherwise no menu or link to any website. I must say that while I typically don't concern myself with all this locavore stuff, I AM anxiously awaiting the arrival of this place.

For those of you who don't visit us in the hinterlands, here's a cool picture from the roof of the "old" Rover Too...

LaGrangeTrain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

You gotta love an area where if you're not careful you can back out of a parking spot and into a moving train.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Neal G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Oldham County

by Neal G » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Really? You truly believe that the Rover appealed to the majority; not in my opinion.

This general concept sounds great and in tune with where non quick serve dining is going in general. Oldham County produces a wide variety of items for a restaurant to choose from. Bison is just one of those items and from my experience there is demand for it. This establishment can also purchase county grown fish, shrimp, chicken, pork, beef and eggs not to mention a wide variety of produce. With time and agreements, they will be able to forge agreements for exclusively grown items as well; should they so desire. The bigger challange is consistent, year-round supply of product.

Besides, we can use something other than Mexican, Americanized Oriental, Pizza and fast food. They have the opportunity to offer a wide selection of items using quality product.

Like any business, it is up to people to support it. That being said, I hope the menu price range is $6 to $12.50; history shows that is all most of Oldham is willing to spend.
Neal G
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Looks like they are opening on Thursday Oct. 3 11am to 12pm.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Neal G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Oldham County

by Neal G » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Opening menus are posted on their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rails/473823769379775
Ambitious from several angles. :)
Neal G
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:35 pm

They corrected the hours to be 11am-10pm Thursday.
Friday and Saturday they are open until Midnight.

Menu looks good. Does not seem too ambitious to me
Will Crawford
Next