Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Rails- the new Restaurant in LaGrange

by Steve P » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:32 am

We haven't been here yet...gonna let them get their sea legs under 'em first. BUT...I did read a review on Urbanspoon where some chucklehead made the following statement (which automatically kicks the place up a full notch in my mind before I even walk in the door) 8) :P

"Disappointed. .didn't have any draft beer that I wanted. Bud light keg was empty,no miller lite,no coors light,I mean nothing. Hate to say it's gonna need a bar rescue before the year is up"...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am

Will Crawford wrote:They corrected the hours to be 11am-10pm Thursday.
Friday and Saturday they are open until Midnight.

Menu looks good. Does not seem too ambitious to me

:? ....We'll see how long these "open til midnight" hours last. I don't think I'm alone in saying that the -last- thing in the world I would do is to walk out of a bar in sleepy little downtown La Grange at midnight on a Saturday night. Might as well just hang a neon sign around your neck saying "pull me over". :(
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Shellbell

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm

by Shellbell » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 pm

The Irish Rover Too did not leave because they could not make it in Oldham County. The drive back and forth from Louisville was rough on the owner, so he decided to close the LaGrange restaurant. Irish Rover Too was ALWAYS busy and the food was excellent. Oldham County isn't a bunch of hillbilly hicks. Hopefully we will continue to get new great restaurants as the city thrives. I agree that Rails is something different than fast food and another Mexican place. I hope they do great.
no avatar
User

Shellbell

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm

by Shellbell » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Terry G wrote:Good luck. If The Rover could not make, who can? A restaurant with bison? I do not think so. Give the customers what they want as opposed to what you think they want. You are running a restaurant not a school unless this is a hobby for you.

The Irish Rover Too closed because the drive back and forth from Louisville was getting too much for the owner, so he made the decision to close the location. Irish Rover was always busy and the food was excellent. What food do you want, Crackerbarrel? because we are already have one of those... oh and a Ponderosa too. Good luck to Rails!!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:16 am

So has anybody eaten there yet?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 am

Carla G wrote:So has anybody eaten there yet?

I had dinner at "Rails" (almost) two weeks ago, on a Tuesday evening. They've made some physical changes to some of the dining area (e.g., the booths that were along the wall in the bar area are gone and replaced with tables). Service was very friendly, but not over-attentive. They have an adult beverage menu that features some "signature" drinks, along with a list of available bourbons; I tried a brand called "Larceny", which (to me) had an almost "peaty" flavor to it (not unlike Scotch)...adequate pour.

Started with their cream of mushroom soup (very tasty, with a hint of white wine), and ordered the Beef Wellington for my entrée...nice-sized portion, with the beef cooked to order, simmering in a wine and mushroom sauce, and included garlic mashed potatoes. My dining partner had the Bison Sirloin, and thought it was very tasty, served with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. We were too full for dessert (maybe next time). Not the cheapest dining option in the OC, but worth a visit.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:32 pm

John Greenup wrote:Beef Wellington for my entrée...nice-sized portion, with the beef cooked to order, simmering in a wine and mushroom sauce, and included garlic mashed potatoes.

Didn't the beef Wellington has a traditional crust on it? From reading your descriptions it sounds like it didn't, sounds good but far from traditional.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 pm

You can still do the wellington with a broth that is poured over it (usually table side) just before presenting to the customer. I assumed that's what this was.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 pm

Just for the record, Rails' "Beef Wellington" is prepared within a traditional pastry shell (with fois gras)....very tasty.
Last edited by John Greenup on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 pm

John Greenup wrote:Just for the record, Rails' "Beef Wellington" is prepared wiithin a traditional pastry crust (with fois gras)....very tasty.

Thanks!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Previous