Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Lunch Places Near Kentucky Convention Center

by MarieP » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:05 am

My mom just get a job at the Convention Center, and I thought a good Christmas gift would be gift certificate for lunch spots close by. Here are the spots I noticed using Yahoo Yellow Pages. What are these places like? Are there any other suggestions?

Metro Deli 400 W Market St
http://www.metrodeli.net/

Delta Restaurant 434 W Market St

TC's Sandwich Shop 438 W Market St

Down to Lunch Cafe 239 S 5th St

Queue Cafe 220 W Main St http://www.qsrmagazine.com/articles/exc ... fe-1.phtml

Saffron's 131 W Market Street (I need to try that place myself...and although they changed their menu to a buffet)

Thanks!
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:37 am

The Delta Restaurant has been there for 30 (?) years. Caters to a lunch crowd. Sitdown place. Dependable.. nothing fancy.

TC's is a nice sandwich and soup place. Order at counter .. deliver to table.. Also does a lot of take out. Delivers in the neighborhood.

Saffrons is a sit down Persian restaurant. It is not a buffet. Believe you are confusing it with a place on 5th St that the owner of Saffron bought and changed to a buffet. Has changed hands a couple of times and apparently there is still some sign that says Saffron.

There is a place directly across from the Convention Center. Bistro 301. Seems to stay very busy. Sit down place. Pretty decent. Corner of 3rd and Market.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks, Steve!

BTW, Metro Deli has a disconnected number. I am getting certificates from Delta and TC's. Saffron and Bistro 301 sound good, but they may take too long to eat at.
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:40 am

If I'm not mistaken, Bistro 301 is the new name of Deke's Marketplace Grill which was a personal fave of mine when I worked downtown. From what I have been told, it is the same owner, just a change of name.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:03 pm

MarieP wrote:Thanks, Steve!

BTW, Metro Deli has a disconnected number. I am getting certificates from Delta and TC's. Saffron and Bistro 301 sound good, but they may take too long to eat at.

Have never eaten lunch at Bistro 301. They do however cater to the downtown lunch crowd and since they are so close to the Convention Center may well do a good job in getting people in and out at lunch. Have had dinner there and they do a good if not spectacular job.

Saffron is more expensive and geared to the higher end. Been there for lunch and not real fast. You should have dinner there for sure. Owned by the same man (Majid) that is part owner and GM of Volare. Only complaint I have ever had is menu is static with no specials and different dishes.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Bistro 301 is the new name of Deke's Marketplace Grill which was a personal fave of mine when I worked downtown. From what I have been told, it is the same owner, just a change of name.

Essentially correct. The place was started by "Deke" Decanmillus, a lawyer who owns the building as an investment.

The current owner, Matt Mershon, became the GM a number of years ago and later bought the restaurant. Except for rather minor cosmetic changes, it has remained much the same as it was before. Not great, but solid.

One of the claims to fame (or infamy) is that they served OJ "I'm innocent" Simpson after Jeff Ruby thew him out of his place.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Saffrons

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 pm

I used to work at 2nd and Market (practically across the street). My husband and I ate lunch at Deke's/ now Bistro 301 very regularly and I think your mom would enjoy a certificate there.

Saffron's would be my top pick for a certificate. It was our other "go to" place for a great lunch and we never had a problem getting in and out fast enough (unless you arrive late and have a problem getting a table). I had lunch with a friend a month ago and the food was just as great as I remember. And their prices aren't high for a downtown lunch; I think the kekob platters are $7.95.

Happened to walk by Metro Deli two days ago and the place looked boarded up: not open at lunch and poster board over all windows. I don't care for the food there any way...

Deb
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 am

I vote for Bistro too. I love that place for lunch.

There is also the Firefresh BBQ right off 5th and Jefferson for a fast meal, Bendoya for sushi is there and they JUST opened this adorable popcorn store there selling Gourmet popcorn. I haven't checked them out yet.

Our new office is in the Kentucky Home Life building, so I have been getting lots of practice eating lunch in that area. :)
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:16 am

Interesting that so many are recommending Bistro 301. We went there for dinner with a Louisville Food and Dining magazine gift certificate and thought it was not good. I don't work downtown so I've never been there for lunch. Maybe lunch is the ticket.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:17 am

If your mom likes thai/chinese/general asian food, I recommend Yaching at the corner of 4th and Main.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: Bistro 301. I'd agree, Jay: I like them for lunch. We've tried once at night before Actors, and I think their forte is really the hot sandwich/burger/soup fare.

Deb
no avatar
User

PaigeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

New Castle, IN

by PaigeM » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:37 am

Amy A wrote:they JUST opened this adorable popcorn store there selling Gourmet popcorn. I haven't checked them out yet.

The popcorn place is GOOOOOD! I will warn you, though, that the Cinnamon Creme flavor is addictive. It's cinnamon-flavored popcorn drizzled with icing. I brought it to work and a coworker kept going back for more, saying "I swear they put crack in it." I also liked the jalapeno cheddar.
"Well, if you don't like butter, just use cream." -Julia Child