Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tokyo

no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

Tokyo

by Jeremy Coker » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 am

It seems like most that post here are pretty well traveled so figured you may be a good group to ask. I will be visiting Tokyo in a week so I was wondering if anyone has visited and if there are any not to be missed spots? Food or not food related I am open to suggestions. Thanks!
no avatar
User

John Mayhugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm

by John Mayhugh » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:17 pm

I would be glad to provide some suggestions if you give me a little more info. What part of Tokyo will you be in? Are you familiar with Japanese food? How much money do you want to spend? Food info only or also sightseeing?

I've been to Tokyo quite a few times. I don't care much for seafood, but never have had any trouble eating well.

One thing I always try to eat is kamameshi. This is rice, vegetables, and sometimes meat cooked in a individual pot. Never had this anywhere other than Tokyo and it's one of my favorite Japanese meals. Attached is a link to a good English-speaking place for this. They also have great yakitori.
http://www.torigin-ginza.co.jp/eng.html
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

Tokyo

by Jeremy Coker » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks John... We are staying in Shinjuku (sp?). I am not a seafood lover either but my wife and sister-in-law both are so even seafood heavy places will be on the agenda. As far as budget I am open to all ends of the spectrum. Any/all suggestions are welcome be they food related or just sightseeing suggestions. I really appreciate the tips!
no avatar
User

John Mayhugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm

by John Mayhugh » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Here's a little more general info. Feel free to message me if you want to get more detailed recommendations or have some questions.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a big seafood fan. For those that are, it's certainly easy to find. Shinjuku is a big shopping & entertainment area and there are all sorts of restaurants there, including foreign ones. You didn't mention how familiar you are with Japanese food. There's plenty to choose from.

I really recommend a trip to Ginza for the kamameshi restaurant I mentioned earlier. This is also the best-known shopping area and the people watching is great. It can be interesting to go to the basements of department stores. Kind of their grocery area. You can see many things I would never consider eating!

Don't have any specific places in Shinjuku to suggest, but these are good things to try. You should have no trouble finding these:
noodle shops (Yabu Soba might also be a destination place)
izakaya (kind of bar/tapas places) look for red lantern outside
korean bbq (meat cooked on little charcoal grills at the table)
shabushabu (meat cooked in boiling broth with vegetables)
japanese curry (not the same as indian)
tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet)

There will be lots of places with english menus in Shinjuku. If you don't see a menu, there are very often plastic versions of the food in the window outside and you can just point to those. You can find some of the best places to eat in alleys and small side streets. Also lots of restaurants in the underground shopping area in Shinjuku.

For sightseeing, if you want to see "old Japan", you can go to Asakusa district or even better take an hour trip out to Kamakura. By being based in Shinjuku, you have an easy train trip to just about anywhere. Assuming you're flying into Narita, I think the Narita Express train is just about the simplest way to get to Shinjuku.

Have a good trip.