Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

Re: The Coach Lamp to be on Restaurant Impossible.

by Adam C » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am

I went there with my sister years ago and we loved it. Huge cajun influenced portions. Plus, I LOVED that old bar. The decor was a bit corny though. I am excited to see what they do with it. I've always like the location.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Bunch of people working this afternoon, they've got a section of the parking lot of the government center blocked off for tents and trucks and the like. The smells coming off the smoker they've got set up for craft services smell great. Walked out and watched Irvine interviewing Bill out front of the place a few minutes ago.
no avatar
User

Michael Mattingly

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:46 am

Paris, France

by Michael Mattingly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:46 am

My wife & I used to live (a few homes away from Seidenfaden's) & work on Vine St. (The Cafe) & though we haven't been to Coach Lamp in a few years, I must say that when we were there, I enjoyed the food & the decor (it really fit the area) but it was near empty each time. That's certainly a difficult location to have a restaurant, especially when it's buried in a neighborhood (Paristown Pointe) with such a low media household income. It's a bit of a destination restaurant & it always seemed to me that only other foodies even knew about the place (besides the few locals that could afford it more than a few times each year). Their bar was quite nice too but not nearly as popular as Seidenfaden's, which was just a block or two up the hill.

I obviously can't comment on any recent changes to the place, but I'm certainly rooting for them.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:20 am

Today is Suzi's birthday and I snuck around and got reservations at the Coach Lamp for its reopening after Chef Robert Irvine did the Restaurant Impossible on it.

Very well done.

Smaller menu. Small plates on it. Nice selection of entrees.

Redid the patio and we ate out there. In good weather that would be my first choice for a place to eat. Would be nice to take a group of LHB folks there for an offline.

Suzi got shrimp and grits. She did everything but lick the plate. I did not get a taste, forget a bite. On the other hand, I did share two bites of the new Hot Brown from the Coach Lamp. WITH FRIED PORK BELLY on top. See my facebook page for a photo of it, and Suzi's Shrimp and Grits. The Hot Brown was really good.

Let's hope they can keep the place going. Yeah, we just got home. And, that's all folks....
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Josh A » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:56 am

I walked by on my way home last night around ten and they were still pretty well packed. Looked like they've pretty well got things clear when I walked to work this morning, a couple ladders sitting inside where I assume they were pulling down any cameras and lightning they had hung up, and they were tearing down the tents and tables that had been set up beforehand. I'll probably wander back in for lunch tomorrow if they're open and ready.
no avatar
User

Chris LM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

by Chris LM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 pm

I checked their website today hoping to get a look at the new menu & it has not been updated yet. I hope they do this soon otherwise people won't know what the new changes are. Their weekend special listed was also from back in May.

Would there be any reason why (Restaurant Impossible rules?) they can't update their website to reflect the new changes?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Chris LM wrote:Would there be any reason why (Restaurant Impossible rules?) they can't update their website to reflect the new changes?

I don't think so. On a couple of the episodes part of the upgrade to the restaurant have even been redesigning their website to be more attractive. It's probably just something that got lost in the shuffle of all the work being done.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Here's a good article about the revised restaurant is done by Chris Ritter and published on Insider Louisville today: http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/08/15/the-coach-lamp-is-dead-long-live-the-back-patio-celebrity-chef-robert-irvines-latest-extreme-makeover/

He certainly didn't have much bad to say about the revised restaurant and was very Limitary about everything and everyone involved including chef Robert Irvine!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:10 am

We had an interesting experience this evening when dining there. The owner or GM are supposed to contact me following a staff meeting tomorrow.
I will edit/repost once I get their response.

I will say though if you havent been because you were worried they were slammed...go. We got there at 6:30 this evening and were able to get seated.
Last edited by Doug Davis on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:57 am

New menu is now posted on their website:
http://www.coachlamprestaurant.com/index.php3?pageid=7
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Josh A » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm

Wandered in today for what turned out to be their first lunch service since everything got revamped. It seemed a bit hectic, but not as bad as some first services I've seen. My food (the B&B burger) came our reasonably quickly and was a good, solid burger. Fries were hot and crispy.

I heard some of the folk behind me(I was sitting at the bar) mention that the fried chicken was excellent, and although I'm sad that my old standby, the fish sandwich, isn't on the menu, I did note they have a whole catfish thing on the dinner menu that I may walk down and try.

A couple days ago I poked my head in and got to take a look at the redone patio, it is pretty nice, I like what they did with it. The inside has been touched up a bit, a few things moved around and some tap handles put up behind the bar, but it looks like the real majority of the work was done outside. I dig it.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Josh A » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:18 pm

I know it's been a couple weeks, but I wandered back in to see if things were less hectic at lunch again. It was nice and calm when I got there, so I grabbed a seat at the bar and ordered the fried chicken. Gotta say, the chicken was absolutely fantastic.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 am

I have to agree with Josh! The fried chicken is my current fave! AND the catfish.....and the Tuscan twists....and the B&B burger.....and all the waffle specials...and....and.... :lol:
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Did anyone else watch last night when the episode aired? My husband and I watched and we also "live texted" my brother and his wife in Houston, TX. It was interesting to see what they thought as, being 1500+ miles removed, they are completely unbiased. We all agreed that the only thing we got out of the episode is a desire to return to The Cafe. Bill and his wife were not portrayed in the most flattering light, to say the least.

My husband and I were especially interested in seeing the episode as we went to the Coach Lamp about a week after the show was filmed. We had never eaten there before and, after our meal, didn't particularly feel the need to return. My husband ordered the burger, which was just average and I ordered the highly regarded fried chicken. The chicken was boneless, which I hadn't expected, and was smothered in a sauce I didn't care for. The patio itself was very nice, but, without food that we feel inclined to return for, it isn't a selling point for us.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Sara R wrote:My husband and I were especially interested in seeing the episode as we went to the Coach Lamp about a week after the show was filmed.

Your review sounds just like mine did! 8)
PreviousNext