Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: The Coach Lamp to be on Restaurant Impossible.

by Richard S. » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Hasn't it also shifted a few times, from standard American to New Orleans to more American? It's sort of toward that Gulf style, but at least to me doesn't have a consistent identity!

Their former chef Richard Lowe was from New Orleans and came here after Katrina. I think he went back a year or so ago.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Richard S. wrote:Their former chef Richard Lowe was from New Orleans and came here after Katrina. I think he went back a year or so ago.

And before him, Jerome Pope, a great success story who started at 610 Magnolia as a busser and grew into the pastry chef who some say was the real brain behind then-chef Ed Garber's signature dessert, the mocha dacquoise, then went to the Brown Hotel, then became the first chef of an "upscale" Coach Lamp, left there to a very short-lived Italian place in Clarksville, and I think at some point he might have come back to Coach Lamp again either before or after Richard.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 pm

So they are or arent doing the cajun thing anymore?
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:15 am

Doug Davis wrote:So they are or arent doing the cajun thing anymore?

I haven't been back lately - probably ought to go - but I think the owner (Gordon?) left on some of Richard's Cajun dishes.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 am

An awful lot of negative comments from those who know nothing about this place.....Gordon? Seriously?
Clearly none of you have been there in the last year.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:00 am

Lisa Stephenson wrote:An awful lot of negative comments from those who know nothing about this place.....Gordon? Seriously?

Lisa, are you talking to me? :oops: I didn't mean anything negative in my post. I thought the owner's name was Gordon, but I'm not sure.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:27 am

No, Robin. Your post was not negative and you admit you have not been back in a while.
I just fail to understand how many who have responded to this thread feel they can offer an opinion that is not supported by any actual recent knowledge. :!:
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Lisa Stephenson wrote:An awful lot of negative comments from those who know nothing about this place.....Gordon? Seriously?

Lisa, are you talking to me? :oops: I didn't mean anything negative in my post. I thought the owner's name was Gordon, but I'm not sure.

owner ... Bill Darling and his wife
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Lisa Stephenson wrote:I just fail to understand how many who have responded to this thread feel they can offer an opinion that is not supported by any actual recent knowledge. :!:

My thought about people being set in their ways may have had you taking it to mean I was directing it at Coach Lamp, but I wasn't. That was just a general philosophical statement about human nature. I really don't think I said anything bad about Coach Lamp, but apparently something is in need of fixing if they're reaching out to the tv show, and there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy the show, and if nothing else, this will put Coach Lamp on the radar for a lot of new people.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Steve Shade wrote:owner ... Bill Darling and his wife

D'oh! I knew that! :oops:
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Doug Davis wrote:So they are or aren't doing the cajun thing anymore?

We were there a few months ago last time and the menu was varied so I'd not identify it as Cajun or any particular genre for the main focus. I had a Cajun dish a couple of years ago while my wife had a wienerschnitzel. That time we had what may be the best potato pancakes we've ever had (I couldn't resist trying some that came with her dish). Last time we were in I picked a steak with potatoes au gratin. My wife had a large rabbit dinner (take that, Game!), which was an unexpected and welcome option to see on a menu - something you seldom see. It's an unusually ambitious menu (you can see it online) that, on the customer side, I hope isn't just thrown out with the bathwater. But I'm not responsible for making sure CL makes money. Here's hoping it all works out for the best.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:10 am

Lisa Stephenson wrote:Clearly none of you have been there in the last year.

Probably explains why they are going to be on Restaurant Impossible.
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am

I left a voicemail for the Coach Lamp to try to get reservations for the grand reopening. I called at 10:19am on Thursday morning. I never heard back. I called again yesterday afternoon and they said they were "sold out." I'm so disappointed, especially since I called so early. I love the show and watch religiously.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 am

I walked over and had lunch there friday and was listening to some of the talk about this. Apparently they were getting slammed with calls pretty much from the announcement on.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 am

Josh A wrote:I walked over and had lunch there friday and was listening to some of the talk about this. Apparently they were getting slammed with calls pretty much from the announcement on.

I totally expected this- lots of people would call the second it was in the paper/ on Hotbytes. Hottest reservation in town this week!

Sounds like some focus on what their concept is would be very beneficial and the extra publicity should help put them back on the map. I wish them all the best!
:D
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext