Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Another organic food store coming to Louisville.

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm

According to Business 1st's Monday Business Briefing, Lucky's Farmers Market is coming to Louisville on North Hurstbourne. Here's a quote from their story:
"Seattle-based Luckys Farmers Market fresh/organic grocery chain is coming to the Forum area at North Hurstbourne Parkway and Shelbyville Road. We think this is a dramatic endorsement of Louisville because Luckys Farmers Market’s strategy is to locate mostly in college communities such as Boulder, Colo. with high educational levels and incomes. The company’s focus is similar to Whole Foods in that it stresses great produce along with quality natural meats, seafood and prepared foods.

The company buys a large percentage of food from local farmers, so this is good news for Grasshoppers and other suppliers and cooperatives. CEO Patrick Gilliland was a founder of Wild Oats, which was snapped up by Whole Foods back in 2007. The new company is similar to Wild Oats in that its 150-plus stores are relatively small – 10,000 square feet to 40,000 square feet – compared to Kroger and Meijer, and loaded with high-end offerings. The company’s website states the Luckys Farmers Market goal is to open 30 new stores in the next six months, with Kentucky on the map."
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Another organic food store coming to Louisville.

by Steve P » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Mark R. wrote:The company’s website states the Luckys Farmers Market goal is to open 30 new stores in the next six months, with Kentucky on the map."[/i]

Actually...what the website says is that they plan to open 6 stores in the next 30 months...

http://luckysfarmersmarket.com/coming_t ... tland.html
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Steve P wrote:
Mark R. wrote:The company’s website states the Luckys Farmers Market goal is to open 30 new stores in the next six months, with Kentucky on the map."[/i]

Actually...what the website says is that they plan to open 6 stores in the next 30 months...

http://luckysfarmersmarket.com/coming_t ... tland.html

What I posted was direct from the Business 1st article so they got it wrong. I didn't say go to the website for Luckys Farmers Market

no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

There are a number of shipping containers in the parking lot area near Bombay grill which indicate the coming Market.

This is the Forum Shopping Center which hosts The Bristol, Bombay Grill and Brasserie Provence.

Gourmet grocer Lucky’s Market to anchor Forum shopping center

Lucky’s Market LLC, a growing Boulder, Colo., gourmet grocery chain, plans to open a 30,000-square-foot store at The Forum Center in the Hurstbourne Parkway corridor.

He said the grocery will have a “high-end” beer and wine section and outdoor seating.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... l?page=all

Looks like an April 2014 opening date and Louisville is now listed as "coming soon" in their store list:
http://luckysmarket.com/our-stores.html

http://www.bcbr.com/article/20130909/NEWS/130909945
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 am

They're getting very active in social media.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Luckys-M ... 9215674097

I'm still trying to figure out whether ...

* I love it because I'm on board with their general approach to sustainability and locavorism.

* It's "meh" because it's out in the 'burbs and not really on any of my usual routes to anyplace I go.

* It's evil because it's a further threat to local options in a setting where we've already lost Burger's and Doll's. <sob>

All that said, they've posted a job description that sounds like it could be made for some of you folks:

"We're looking for a Marketing/Events Coordinator! Are you a community-minded social butterfly who loves organizing, promoting, marketing, community relations and making events happen? We're looking for an amazing team member who thrills in community related activities, charitable contributions, a positive store experience, education and food! Click this link to apply on-line http://luckysmarket.com/contact-employm ... ville.html "
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

I actually applied just the other day. I think they are shooting for a mid-May (not April) opening. I think I read that on their facebook page. I'm a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's shopper, so I'm looking forward to an option where I can scoot out the back of my neighborhood and avoid Shelbyville Rd.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Robin F. wrote:I'm a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's shopper

I have to confess that I go there, too. I'm too much of a foodie not to, although I CAN resist Fresh Market.

But if either Lotsa Pasta or Rainbow Blossom goes down as the corporate competition continues to grow, I'm going to be p!$$ed. Mostly at myself.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I think it's great. I doubt it'll hurt either Lotsa Pasta or Rainbow Blossom because of the distance. Fresh Market might be a bit miffed. But we have little out here besides Krogers and other big box stores.

And don't blame us suburbanites because of Burgers and Dolls going away. You "inside the Watterson " folk did that! :wink:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Everything we heard when Burger's shut down indicated they were ready to retire and be done with it. Not that they'd been driven out of business by competition from chain stores.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Carla G wrote:
And don't blame us suburbanites because of Burgers and Dolls going away. You "inside the Watterson " folk did that! :wink:

BTW, it may have been here and I missed it, but the former butcher from Burgers is now cutting meat at Paul's adjacent to Holiday Manor (you know, that suburban shopping area)..
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:32 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Carla G wrote:

BTW, it may have been here and I missed it, but the former butcher from Burgers is now cutting meat at Paul's adjacent to Holiday Manor (you know, that suburban shopping area)..

I thought he was at the one in Middletown.

no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I have to confess that I go there, too. I'm too much of a foodie not to, although I CAN resist Fresh Market.

But if either Lotsa Pasta or Rainbow Blossom goes down as the corporate competition continues to grow, I'm going to be p!$$ed. Mostly at myself.

I won't support it. I dont support Trader Joe's either, but mainly due to them being frozen/boxed processed crap. I dont get how you can call yourself a foodie and support Trader Joe's.

But I definitely wouldn't and won't support Lucky's.
You want to buy locally produced sustainable produce and goods? We have:
1. Farmer's markets in abundance.
2. Rainbow Blossom's in numerous locations
3. A variety of CSA's.
4. Paul's Markets

We dont need the next Wholefoods wanna be taking up more marketing share while driving local businesses out of business. :evil:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

What is it about Fresh Market that you can resist shopping there?
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 pm

RichardM wrote:What is it about Fresh Market that you can resist shopping there?

It's nothing all that deep, Richard, and I wouldn't say I would never shop there.I went to the original Louisville branch several times, and the one on 42 at the Watterson a couple, and wasn't all that impressed. They don't seem to me to have the same commitment to sustainable/organic/hormone-free and all that other good stuff as Whole Foods, and in particular I was put off by the way FM markets Nebraska feedlot beef as if that was a good thing.
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:03 pm

While we are at it just want to put in a plug for The Root Cellar stores. They have one in Old Louisville and in Germantown, they are an excellent source for local produce, dairy and meat. Right now is a slow time for them so we need to get in and support them if we can. And no I am just a customer, no profit other than really like the store...Germantown is where I shop.
Next