Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Another organic food store coming to Louisville.

by Mark R. » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:21 pm

I think this entire discussion creates a lot of polarization between members of this forum as well as the community at large. Most of us here certainly are in favor of the local stores such as Rainbow Blossom, Lotsa Pasta, Paul's, etc. but when it comes to chains many of us have different opinions of which places we like to shop. Trader Joe's is a big turn on for some people but many of us don't shop there for various reasons. Whole foods is the same way as is Fresh Market and the others that are in our coming to the local market. We may prefer one because of location, what it stocks, it's corporate philosophy or its prices. The more new stores of this type that come to the marketplace do more division will occur but I really don't think any of them will harm the locals we all like to shop at, they will just dilute them customers going to the others. They may also take customers away from the generic chains such as Kroger, Meir and Wal-Mart which probably isn't a bad thing.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:23 am

Mark R. wrote: but I really don't think any of them will harm the locals we all like to shop at, they will just dilute them customers going to the others. They may also take customers away from the generic chains such as Kroger, Meir and Wal-Mart which probably isn't a bad thing.

Then you arent paying attention to their own stated operational plans.

The company buys a large percentage of food from local farmers, so this is good news for Grasshoppers and other suppliers and cooperatives. CEO Patrick Gilliland was a founder of Wild Oats, which was snapped up by Whole Foods back in 2007. The new company is similar to Wild Oats in that its 150-plus stores are relatively small – 10,000 square feet to 40,000 square feet – compared to Kroger and Meijer, and loaded with high-end offerings.

Their stores arent aimed at taking on a Kroger. They are specifically designed to compete against local offerings such as Paul's or Rainbow Blossoms. And I will always chose a local brand I know and trust, who is pouring their money back into the local economy, than a chain.
Especially a chain who admits in their business filings that they are seeking EB-5 funding, which is from foreign investors. They are opening stores, by allowing rich foreign nationals to buy green cards into our country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:59 am

Doug, I've obviously read all of their gibberish about what their goal is and how they operate. My point was that they aren't going to attract people who believe in buying local because of people are committed to that point. They are going to heighten the awareness of the benefits and importance of buying local produce from local farmers. Because of that they are likely to take some business from the big supermarket chains as people realize some of these benefits. People committed to supporting the local economy are not going to be so easily swayed.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Robin, first off, there is life on the other side of the Watterson.....just sayin'

Secondly, I'm THRILLED about this news....it's right down the way from my house and I'm in the Forum frequently to dine.

Thirdly, the size of what their doing is making me giddy with a large selection of good.

Now, if it can compete price wise with the likes of Whole Foods (which can be too organic for it own good), Fresh Market (love the place, but not for everyday shopping), and the others has yet to be determined....time will tell.

In reviewing Lucky's website, I like the way they do business. And they advertise that they want "foodies" to apply for jobs (tempting). Also, anything that can sway shoppers away from Kroger and Wal (ICK) Mart is worth consideration. If I remember correctly, Whole Foods was also doubted when they first appeared on the scene. Just sayin'

The opinionated one is signing off for now!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Noticed two things today: first, they have set up a temporary office next to Bombay Grill for hiring purposes; also, they are going to have a very large wine and spirits store - very large.
Previous