Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Olive Leaf Bistro planned in Jeffersonville

by Rich S » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm

I just heard about this place, which is supposed to open this fall at 130 W. Riverside Drive in Jeffersonville (overlooking the river, about two blocks from the Big Four Bridge). It sounds interesting, though perhaps a bit pricy. And even though it's not open yet, the website lists the lunch and dinner menus.

From the website:

Olive Leaf Bistro features a cuisine from various Mediterranean regions. Our menu is centered on local and imported ingredients to create refined and genuine flavors from the South of France, Italy, Spain, North Africa and Greece.

Chef-Owner Jimmy Shraby established Olive Leaf Bistro on the Ohio River in Jeffersonville in Southern Indiana. He was born in the Mediterranean region and came to the United States 32 years ago. He’s earned several culinary awards for his creativity and mastery in his field. For the past fifteen years he owned and operated Soufflé French restaurant on the east coast in the town of Summit, New Jersey.

http://www.oliveleafbistro.com/
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Olive Leaf Bistro planned in Jeffersonville

by Margie L » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:37 am

Souffle had generally good on-line reviews. Sounds promising.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:28 am

I used to live next door to Summit, NJ ( my daughter was born there :D). It's a very affluent, "worldly" suburb; if they got great reviews there, I have high hopes for Olive Leaf Bistro. :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 pm

The Olive Leaf had a soft opening last weekend, and I guess they're officially open now. The menus on the website look interesting, although the dinner menu seems a bit pricey.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Rich S wrote:The Olive Leaf had a soft opening last weekend, and I guess they're officially open now. The menus on the website look interesting, although the dinner menu seems a bit pricey.

I had assumed it would be another in the genre of Shiraz, Burning Bush, etc. Do you think it's a little more fancy?
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Sat May 31, 2014 3:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I had assumed it would be another in the genre of Shiraz, Burning Bush, etc. Do you think it's a little more fancy?

I've never been to Burning Bush, but it's nothing like Shiraz -- it's far more upscale. Judging from the photos, it's similar to the nicer independent restaurants on Frankfort Avenue and Bardstown Road. The menu seems to be a mixture of Greek, Italian and Middle Eastern/North African, with a bit of southern France thrown in.

It has a view right onto the river near the Big Four Bridge (with outdoor dining in front), which could explain the higher prices.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:25 pm

I see this place has been open a month or two now. Anyone been? Comments?
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I've been twice since they opened. Once early on and once on Father's Day. I really wanted to like it, but the first time the food was bland and the second time one dish was ok and one was inedible. They seem to go extra heavy on the oil on everything and the sauces on both dishes were an unpleasant gelatinous texture.

The service is very disjointed and often absent, but well-intentioned and personable. I honestly wish I could say anything good about the food. The menu items seem good in concept, just poorly executed. They do have some good reviews on Yelp! so maybe I just hit them on a couple of bad days. The atmosphere is great; they have a lovely little patio.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Amy Hoover wrote:I've been twice since they opened. Once early on and once on Father's Day. I really wanted to like it, but the first time the food was bland and the second time one dish was ok and one was inedible. They seem to go extra heavy on the oil on everything and the sauces on both dishes were an unpleasant gelatinous texture.

The service is very disjointed and often absent, but well-intentioned and personable. I honestly wish I could say anything good about the food. The menu items seem good in concept, just poorly executed. They do have some good reviews on Yelp! so maybe I just hit them on a couple of bad days. The atmosphere is great; they have a lovely little patio.

We've been to most of the other locals near the Big 4, but for whatever reason never hit this. Went for lunch today.

Amy is spot on . . . guess not much has changed in a year!

I had the Gyros, which I ate only because I was hungry (and after complaining they made no offer to swop out the sandwich). My wife had a chicken wrap with tzatziki instead of harissa-mayo. We believe both wraps were made (beautifully, by the way) with cold ingredients right out of the fridge or freezer, then wrapped in cold pita or tortilla, stuck in a microwave, and served!

The pita was mushy (e.g.: microwaved), the gyro meat was soft and mushy (rather than crispy), the onions and tomato had no texture at all and blended in with the pita, etc. My wife's chicken wrap was better, mainly because they didn't know what to do with the tzatziki, so served it on the side, and she slathered it on the wrap (which had a microwaved consistency also) for flavor.

Guess we'll go back to the other places, most of which we like very much!
Andrew Mellman