Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

MichelleS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 am

Tipping with take out and counter service

by MichelleS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:28 pm

All my years in restaurants have fixed it so I am unable to leave a tip line empty on my credit card slip.

I kind of resent it though sometimes, like at a very popular place in town that people go to for cheap gumbo--they have counter service and there is a tip line on the credit card slip.

And then there is a middle eastern place close by there that I love that does the same thing.

Tell me what you think if you would. Personally, I worked by butt off for tips and I don't think working the cash register is quite the same.

What about take out? Do you tip when you get take out?

I don't know, I'm a little retarded sometimes and I get worked up over silly stuff. Maybe this is just one of those things.

Or maybe you all will validate my complaint and I will feel justified to quit tipping cashiers!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Michelle, it's a reasonable question. If you'll dig around (although it might be hard to search for), we've had a couple of threads on this.

I think the consensus is that, um, it varies. Corporate fast-food places like McDonald's or Taco Bell aren't really set up for tipping, and in fact (opinions vary), staff may be forbidden to take tips and subject to discipline if they do so.

But local indie places? Chances are the person at the counter also had to take time from other duties to set up and box your takeout for you. Bottom line, most people in the restaurant business or close to it will err on the side of generosity and tip service staff, period. And I'll generally do that, certainly at the Cajun place and the Middle Eastern place you mentioned. ;)

Same way for tipping the guy well who brings the pizza to your door ...
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:58 pm

When I was working the register at Allo Spiedo, I was also responsible for bread, garlic, sides, desserts, and take out orders. While it didn't take too much time to fill an order, I was doing everything a server would do except walk back and forth to their table multiple times. I still had to take the order, put the order in, and box it up. The hourly pay for the cashier was higher than that of a server. Occasionally, an older gentleman would give me a silver dollar but that was about it.

Oh the other hand, when I was serving at Avalon, the hostesses would take the order and then give it to the servers and we would fill the order as well as wait on our tables. Most times the tips were crappy.

Honestly, I don't tip the pizza place when I go pick it up because their pay is not based on getting tips unless they are a driver.

It's hard to know unless you've worked at that specific restaurant.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Personally, I don't tip at the "local Cajun counter place" just like I wouldn't tip at Qdoba or Panera or Tologono. Tips are for service: they are set-up just like the truly fast food places- fulfilling your order, not providing you service. If someone comes and refills my water, asks if I need any thing, gets me something, (ike Tony BoomBazz) I'd leave a small tip at the table.

Working the cash register while filling orders (like Jessica) is an entirely different thing, but as a consumer unfortunately don't know that (until now....). And I'm also with Jessica: I tip for pizza delivery, but not if I pick it up.

Deb
no avatar
User

NeilDSmith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sellersburg

tipping thru drive thrus

by NeilDSmith » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:42 pm

I feel the concept of drive thrus is to minimize the time time it takes to receive your product and the service it takes to deliver it to you. It is like delivery with you doing the driving. I am fine with all of that until I see a tip jar in the window for a 4.00 cup of coffee. NO WAY!
Neil Smith
The Fireside Bar & Grill
Sellersburg, IN
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:58 pm

In these situations if the counter service is friendly and efficient I'll usually tip $1.00-2.00 - basically I won't tip based upon the bill as I would in a full service situation.

I'm interested to see how others approach this as well.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:31 am

Mark Head wrote:In these situations if the counter service is friendly and efficient I'll usually tip $1.00-2.00 - basically I won't tip based upon the bill as I would in a full service situation.

Me too.
User

Amy H

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 am

Lyndon

carryout tipping

by Amy H » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:36 am

I just recently went into a neighborhood bar, and picked up my called in order of tenders and fries, and this also was a question for myself. I work in the industry and in a sense I shouldn't be even asking, it's just that bartenders make an hourly wage, and pretty decent tips, therefore I appear to be reluctant to tip. However, my food was ready and hot when I came in and the girl was friendly and professional. No brainer-I for sure tip at least 15%. The food wasn't great, but it was just tenders & fries.
So my answer would be to tip on carryout orders in most places AT LEAST 10%,going by your own expectations.
How about sonic and that tipping deal? Does anyone know their wage? They"re kids trying to work, so I definetly will tip most.
You learn something new everyday!
Amy H.