Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Christopher's @ Mid-City Mall

no avatar
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

Christopher's @ Mid-City Mall

by Patrick Kelting » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Christopher's is an upscale fine dining restaurant is in Mid-City Mall located in the Highlands. :shock: Anyone have a clue 'bout this :?: I got's ta know.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Christopher's @ Mid-City Mall

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Former City Cafe location, I believe. We've had a discussion or two on this. Hang on, and when I find it I'll add it as a reply.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Yeah, the name was different at this point, but I'm pretty sure it's the evolution of this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20609&p=154926
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:39 pm

My wife and I ate supper there recently. They do not yet have a permit to sell alcohol. As a rule we don't go out for an evening meal without an adult beverage, but we worked around it by having a couple of rounds at the Back Door before returning like we do when we go to Roots / Hearts & Soy.

They are in the midst of an extended soft opening, which I think is a good idea until they get their permit in place. Also a good idea because there are a few rough edges to be worked out - clarifications of some items on the menu, a sign on the doors or anywhere on the outside with the name of the restaurant & there's no website or FB that I could find. We became aware it was open because we live next door to the MCM and come via that side whenever we walk over to ValuMarket, Back Door, etc. and they maintain a table outside with a menu, including for a Sunday brunch. I've seen no other marketing so expect most all customers come, like us, from passersby to the MCM or from folks going to a film next door at Baxter Theaters.

Re: what was mentioned in previous messages in the forum about name (& probably concept) changes, during the period when the space was under construction it went through three names I know of. A fourth name if you count the one I hadn't noticed before, Pinot, which is on the header of the receipts, another minor thing but not terribly worrying to me for an outfit on their shakedown cruise. Hopefully they've settled on the identity thing.

As to our experience, my wife had the sirloin and I had the lobster ravioli with pesto. I don't have a wide range of expression about food, sad to say, but we both enjoyed the meal and thought the kitchen executed well. The menu has some dishes you'd expect in an upscale-ish place but the prices are not. Admittedly, if we'd had the usual adult bevs instead of non-adult bevs it would have been more, but for example our meal was less than $35 before tip. Prices are more mid-level, which is a wise move at the MCM. All other options at MCM are highly economical so there's room for a place that offers a cut above for a bit of a price above within limits. Our server was quite attentive and she and another couple of folks came by our table to see how things were going. And we loved the music. When we were there it was classic mid-20th century jazz or jazz pop, much like the kind we were used to when the space was City Cafe. They're working on getting their sea legs but apart from the adult bevs (pending) & a web presence they have all the fundamentals in place to continue to make customers happy, as they did for us.

Also, for now, if you're OK with not having a beer or wine (or go for lunch when that's not usually an issue with diners) this is a place you can get into with no wait {for all the folks who don't like to wait at Burger & Mussel Bar ;) }. That might not be a gimme after the get their alcohol permit & start marketing themselves.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:32 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:for now, if you're OK with not having a beer or wine
dropped in last night (Wed., the 19th) and they had wine and said they were expecting full bar by the weekend! I snagged a menu - it all looks a bit pricey for lunch ($10 sandwiches), but definitely a try for dinner?