Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Volare: Still on top after departure of Chef McGarity

by Ron Johnson » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:42 pm

I was one of the first to be concerned about the news that Dallas McGarity was leaving Volare for new opportunity in town. Afterall, Chef Dallas had developed a menu that was consistently wowing everyone who dined at Volare. He could simultaneously please those looking for old-school Italian comfort food and cutting edge "foodies".
So, last Friday night, I jumped at a chance to try Volare again. I had nothing to worry about. I knew that the same kitchen crew that had been turning out the food under Chef Dallas was still in place, so the food should be just as good. It was, and the new menu lay-out and VERY improved wine list made for a perfect evening.
As soon as you enter Volare the tone for your evening is set when Majid greets you at the door like only he can. The man orchestrates a restaurant like a conductor overseeing a symphony, and he does it without breaking a sweat.
The new menu lay-out more clearly delineats Italian classic dishes and more innovative cuisine by putting the former on the left side of the menu and the latter on the right. We decided to mix and match opting for ostrica volare and squash soup for apps, followed by classic caesar salad. For main courses we enjoyed homemade pasta in bolognese sauce, a massive veal chop, veal saltimbocca, and pasta tossed with huge fresh artichokes. Everything was sublime.
The wine list featured many more Italian selections than the last time I visited Volare, and I was happy to have a hard time narrowing down what I wanted. A simple and clean Orvieto Classico made for a great cocktail wine, while a more substantial Tuscan red married well with our main courses.
Service was efficient, unobtrusive, professional, and confident. This is a restaurant that is firing on all cylinders. We are lucky to have it.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Ron
I have to agree with all you have said, and..... their pappardelle dish is to die for.

Probably will be there again this week, and will look forward
trying yet another delish dish!.

Yum! Yum!