Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Granite City Food & Brewery coming to Hurstbourne

by Mark R. » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm

According to this article from business 1st: Granite City Food & Brewery is going to open a new restaurant on, Hurstbourne on the site of the former Williamsburg office Park. Here's a link to the restaurant's website:http://www.gcfb.net/. It will be interesting to see how this chain microbrewery fits into the local scene, past attempts by others have not fared so well.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Granite City Food & Brewery coming to Hurstbourne

by Robin Garr » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm

Interesting article. Thanks, Mark.

A couple of highlights caught my eye:

The company has 28 Granite City restaurants in 13 states. The closest to Louisville are in Carmel, Ind., and Franklin, Tenn. And it operates six Cadillac Ranch restaurants in five states.

So it's definitely gone corporate and it not just a fine, local brewery that's making the first steps toward expansion. Not a definitive problem but one of the first things I look for in gauging the likelihood that a chain isn't bean-counter-driven.

Granite City is the first new tenant to be identified for The Vinings, a development owned by JHS Vinings LLC, which is controlled by John Schnatter, chairman and CEO of Louisville-based Papa John’s International Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA).

Strike Two! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I just visited the Granite City in Ft Wayne about 3 weeks ago while there on business. What surprised me most was that it was VERY upscale. Not anything like your typical brew pub. The interior, the tables and the menu were impressive. The beer selection was pretty good, maybe a 7 on a 10 scale.......not as good as say NABC, BBC or ATG but still good and respectable. The food at the GC was superb. I think they might do well here, if they attract the clientele they seek, and Hurstbourne might be a good location. But where on Hurstbourne? ( I haven't read the link).
Overall the food there is a definite 10, the beer is a 7.......maybe an 8. It's worth the visit.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Granite City is the first new tenant to be identified for The Vinings, a development owned by JHS Vinings LLC, which is controlled by John Schnatter, chairman and CEO of Louisville-based Papa John’s International Inc. (NASDAQ: PZZA).

Strike Two! :mrgreen:

that was my impression of that comment also. Also, a little early in their article, it was stated that after they build the building they are going to sell it and lease it back from a company in Arizona. Something that obviously is devised by bean counters.
Tony G wrote: Hurstbourne might be a good location. But where on Hurstbourne? ( I haven't read the link).

On South Hurstbourne across from the Lowe's just down from Shelbyville Road.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Tony G wrote:Overall the food there is a definite 10, the beer is a 7.......maybe an 8. It's worth the visit.

Thanks, Tony. Informed experience definitely trumps my idle speculation! :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue May 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tony G wrote:Overall the food there is a definite 10, the beer is a 7.......maybe an 8. It's worth the visit.

Thanks, Tony. Informed experience definitely trumps my idle speculation! :mrgreen:

At the location I visited in St. Louis Park (MN) the decor had a decidedly upscale feel to it, the food (as I recall) was satisfactory and the beer....Mehhhhhh...(again, as I recall) Kinda sorta Gordon Biersch-ish...IOW not -bad- but certainly not anything to make you turn cartwheels over.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun May 26, 2013 3:16 pm

I have visited the Mishawaka location. (When out of town, chain brew pubs always seem like a good option.) I agree that the food was good, but the beer was just okay. Beer maybe 5/10... for reference I'd give the beer at GB a 6/10. Still, locally, I'd much prefer a night at River City Drafthouse http://www.rivercitydrafthouse.com or The Holy Grale if in a beer mood.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if this project has fallen by the wayside. Last fall they had actually set up a construction trailer on the site and staked out the area. No work was started and now the construction trailer has left the site. Since this was announced about 8 months ago I'm beginning to think it's not going to happen at all.

Also, a couple of weeks ago it was announced that the Panera location across the street is going to relocate to this site (there's certainly plenty of room for both of them) with a new building that will have a drive-through.

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 pm

When I drove by this week there was a lot of construction activity going on at the old Williamsburg site, so I'm guessing the project is still alive.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Rich S wrote:When I drove by this week there was a lot of construction activity going on at the old Williamsburg site, so I'm guessing the project is still alive.

I believe the construction that is going on is for the new Panera. They are going to move across the road from where they are to a new building with drive-through. The construction started a couple of weeks after the announcement was made. I also looked at the Granite City website and they make no mention about coming soon to Louisville which they did soon after their original announcement.

User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:08 am

Is it a brewery if all brewing activities do not take place on site? The Brewers of Indiana Guild, of which I'm a director, say no; Granite City typically trucks in the wort from a central location and ferments it in-house.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Is it a brewery if all brewing activities do not take place on site? The Brewers of Indiana Guild, of which I'm a director, say no; Granite City typically trucks in the wort from a central location and ferments it in-house.

That's an interesting question Roger. Hopefully one that we won't have to answer because it doesn't look like they are going to come to the Louisville market at this time.