Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sushi

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Sushi

by Carla G » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Taylor Rich wrote:Oishii on Taylorsville Rd. has become our go to lately. Apparently it's a lot of people's go to because it's been packed the last two times we've been. Huge rolls. Lots of choices.

Dragon King's Daughter is great because (to my knowledge) it's the only place you can get a delicious roll AND yummy tacos under the same roof. Plus, that wasabi salsa with tuna and the wonton chips...SO GOOD.

I do have a Japanese Restaurant related question for you guys. That ginger dressing they all serve on those generic salads is like crack to me. I contemplate drinking it from the bottom of my bowl every time. Do these restaurants make this dressing or do they buy it? If so, where do I get it? I've never had any luck buying one in the stores that even comes close.

There is a refrigerated brand sold at Kroger called Naturally Fresh . They make a ginger variety that is the closest I've ever found. It is great!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 pm

I do have a Japanese Restaurant related question for you guys. That ginger dressing they all serve on those generic salads is like crack to me. I contemplate drinking it from the bottom of my bowl every time. Do these restaurants make this dressing or do they buy it? If so, where do I get it? I've never had any luck buying one in the stores that even comes close.

Our grandkids' favorite is the Tokyo Dressing from Tokyo Sushi on Limekiln Ln. It used to be readily available at Garden Gate, Paul's, etc. Evidently they had some bottling issues so it is temporarily off the shelves but is suppose to return soon. We were able to purchase some from the restaurant for a special birthday celebration!
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Oishi (across from Bowman Field) is my favorite. Excellent service, and delicious rolls that are reasonably priced. They are very generous with the amount of fish in each roll. We get takeout from there often, and never had anything wrong with any of our orders. As far as finding quality ginger salad dressing...Whole Foods sells a very good one at their sushi bar area. Can't remember the name brand off hand, but it's fresh and delicious. The only way I can get my 10 year old to eat spinach is if I cover it with this dressing. Taste just like the kind you get from a Japanese restaurant.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:30 pm

Just tried Rishiki out in Crestwood station after hearing so many great reports.
It easily lived up to its rep. I had a Kiss of the Dragon roll (pretty much a Spider Roll with cream cheese and cucumber) - it was excellent. Then had some unagi , perhaps the best ever at least in generosity. Normally you get a nice little filet atop a knuckle length of rice. These were twice as big. A bit reminiscent of a queen size blanket on a twin-sized bed of rice. Very tender and flavorful. I finished with some ikura that was as fresh as I've ever had. Bright orange, It had a bright and perky flavor without that "hanging out in the fridge for a bit" shadow flavor to it. I had a large (what are they? 20 ounce?) Sapporro with it all. Total bill was $30. I thought that was more than reasonable for the quality I enjoyed.

One additional note however about an on going gripe I have....
What's with sushi bars listing ingredients such as "crab" when it's NOT crab at all, it's that fake pollock like stuff?! Rikishi does this as well. After I asked I was told it was fake crab but that was not noted any place on the menu. Personally I think that is deceptive.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Carla G wrote: A bit reminiscent of a queen size blanket on a twin-sized bed of rice.

:lol:

After I asked I was told it was fake crab but that was not noted any place on the menu. Personally I think that is deceptive.

I do too, but it seems to be so much a part of the culture in sushi bars that I expect they don't consider it "wrong." I'm not sure how much effect it would have to lecture them, either. :?
no avatar
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 pm

With respect to that post about crack dressing, I checked out the link that was given above. It's close but you want one with mayonnaise in it. I usually make my own with a good combo of carrot, ginger, onion, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar and mayo. Do it in a blender to get the right consistency.

Sushi? I dig happy hour at Sapporo. The menu is limited but my kiddo and I can eat for 20 bucks. For someone looking to try sushi, I don't know how you could go wrong with a $4 roll.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 am

Alexis Rich wrote: I dig happy hour at Sapporo. The menu is limited but my kiddo and I can eat for 20 bucks. For someone looking to try sushi, I don't know how you could go wrong with a $4 roll.

Last few times we wanted to eat before a show at the Brown (Gordon Lightfoot) or before a class at the library (History of Beatles, Opera 101), we ate at the downtown Sapporo. For well under $30 we had several rolls, appetizer, tea, et al (and we are "experienced" sushi eaters!)!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:29 am

Just to be clear regarding the pricing at my Rikishi - I was there for dinner, not lunch . The roll I had was one of their specialty rolls which run between $10-12. (Well, soft shell crab ain't cheap.) they also have the usual rolls for around $4 each. My 20 oz. imported beer was the cost of a roll alone. Had I had the Unagi, Ikura and a regular roll , no beer the cost would have been about $14. (Just to illustrate the pricing.)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Carla G wrote:Just to be clear regarding the pricing at my Rikishi - I was there for dinner, not lunch . The roll I had was one of their specialty rolls which run between $10-12. (Well, soft shell crab ain't cheap.) they also have the usual rolls for around $4 each. My 20 oz. imported beer was the cost of a roll alone. Had I had the Unagi, Ikura and a regular roll , no beer the cost would have been about $14. (Just to illustrate the pricing.)

That is definitely a "deal!"

We like happy hour at Sopporo, because you can get close to that price level downtown before a show; as long as you order by 6:30, it makes a normal $50+ dinner closer to $20-25, and the timing is perfect for a 7:30 or 8:00 curtain.
Andrew Mellman
Previous