Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

AtG explains why it doesn't vend in Slugger Field.

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm

At Eater, a good piece featuring Sam Cruz answering the question: "Why isn't Against the Grain's beer available at Louisville Slugger Field's concession stands?"

http://louisville.eater.com/archives/2013/04/17/why-isnt-against-the-grains-beer-available-at-louisville-slugger-fields-concession-stands.php

Been on sort of a tangent myself here lately: The Louisville Bats really must hate craft beer to marginalize it this way.

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-louisville-bats-really-must-hate.html
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: AtG explains why it doesn't vend in Slugger Field.

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm

It is not they hate craft beer, they and theircontracted vendor likes the payoffs from Bud more!! Look at how many of their give-aways have been related to that company.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Reading that article was like reading something written by politicians! It was written so PC that it made you want to gag.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Mark R. wrote:Reading that article was like reading something written by politicians! It was written so PC that it made you want to gag.

Sam stated in his very PC response to my Fool's Pour post that "Our goals are to provide Against The Grain patrons and our outlying markets with the very best possible beer."

It appears that outlying markets are more important to Sam than anything else. He has the opportunity to provide beer to thousands of Bats fans but he will not.

I will attend a few games this year as I always do. Once in the park, I won't be allowed to leave and reenter. Even were I to do so I could not purchase at beer at Against The Grain to take into the park. But then I'm sure Sam knows this. He just doesn't care.
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:44 am

Shane, while Sam's response was very PC, he provides multiple examples of why ATG has selected not to have its beer served inside the ballpark. If he doesn't care, that's his perogotive. He is a business man, not your priest, elected official, or your mommy. I'm sure his primary focus is not insuring that all of your beer-whims are satisfied.

Sounds to me like you are still a bit sore in relation to your poor pours and the ATG response...get over it or don't go to ATG to drink beer.

I was going to ask if an ATG beer, bought on-site at the restaurant, could be carried into Slugger Field...sounds like you answered that.

DD
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

Derrick Dones wrote:If he doesn't care, that's his perogotive. He is a business man, not your priest, elected official, or your mommy.

Of course it is.

To me, all this is working out as it should. Craft beer fans have an interest in their favorite beers and breweries, something that goes beyond the usual mega-chain pablum. When it comes to the availability of craft beer in the ballpark, there is no single question I'm asked more often than: "Why isn't AtG inside the ballpark?"

Kudos to Sam for providing the answers to this question, and to Eater for asking. Sam also answered them for me in a Twitter exchange a couple weeks back; unfortunately, my column including them has been delayed.

Finally, it's important to note why the question is asked so often: Because people who like craft beer and baseball, and who are fans of the Bats and AtG, quite naturally would like to be able to drink the beer they prefer when watching the team they root for.

Sam's explained why AtG can't do it. Now it's the turn of the Bats, as the idea pertains to other locally brewed craft beers. I won't be holding my breath, although Derrick's answer probably holds true: The Bats just don't care.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:24 am

Hi Derrick,
I'm not sore at all. I drank three sours there yesterday! I believe they were called Golden Sowers. Wonder what that's a reference to? Probably won't see it on a tap handle in any ball park though.

I regularly notice AtG on tap handles throughout the town and I can't help but wonder how distribution to those venders is different from the ball park.

Sam says "We love to get to know those who are willing to offer feedback on our brand and products. There you go. Just trying to help out.

Some people don't get that you can disagree without being angry. In this case, I just want my beer and baseball too! Guess that's too much to ask at this point. Cheers!
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 am

Sounds good Shane. Were the sours poured properly? I jest. I do see your point sir...if ATG is served at other bars, restaurants, whole foods, etc., and that beer certainly flows through similar distribution channels that it would to get to SF, then why not serve it at the park??? I doubt ATG has anymore control over clean tap lines, proper glassware or pricing at any of those places than it does at SF.

The ball is now in the Bats / SF's and ATG's court.

Disagreeing does not = Anger / Animosity...I tell my dear wife that on the reg! Hahaha

I too would like to have more quality craft beer at SF...so we are certainly in agreement on that point.

Cheers to you! DD
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

I cant speak to know the answer but i have a theory.

ATG never/rarely brews the same beer twice. That is a logistical nightmare for a large service operation like centerplate/bats. Like many baseball fans, they are creatures of habit. They want consistency for signage and pricing etc. Not to mention they dont want to be told by a distributor, "we dont have any ATG for you right now". Lack of stock is a great way to find your product no longer in the ballpark.

As a liquor retailer with a draft beer growler system, I can tell you that ATG beers are very popular. They go quickly and are top quality at a fair price. I would imagine this is the same throughout their footprint.
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Hello all, Id like to address a few things here without being redundant. As to why we are not sold in the park... that has been answered on EATER.

First, not being concerned with providing beer for the thousands of BATS fans.... We at AtG are concerned with providing our limited production of beers to folks who are seeking us out. In order to make sure that the beer gets into the hands of the consumer who will appreciate the products for what they are, we have to make touch decisions. Those decisions are based on the efficient and pragmatic processes for getting the job done. With limited production, that means we have to choose where we will focus our products. So with regard to our consumer being a BATS fan...that is no concern of mine. While we appreciate the fact that we are located in a baseball stadium, we are not interested in planting our flag on being a 'baseball brewery'...wasnt that done once before? Im more concerned if our consumers are interested in 'good beer'. That is why you will find our beers in 'beer bars' or 'tap houses' and not kiosks. If and when our production capabilities allow us to cast a larger net or provide more volumes to more markets, then we will consider what else makes our customers important....but for the time being, if you like good
beer...we are the brand for you.
If you are unhappy with the park policy for reentry into a ballgame...take it up with the park management. Perhaps you can make a difference there.

As to our beer traveling through similar distribution channels... No, it does not. Having the experience of doing business in markets around the world, we have developed a standard for our distribution that until recently did not exist in Louisville. I think many can attest, that the three tier distribution system has, historically, taken a great deal of control from the brewer with regards to where beers can be served and how they are served. Essentially, we were doomed to sell our beer to a distributor and trust them to represent our brands successfully. This is a very difficult thing to do, when you pour your livelihood into a brand. Often, brands would be lost or misrepresented and it would do irreparable damage to them. As of late, I think due to the influx of quality beer in the market, and the resurgence of interest in quality brands, more distributors are popping up. Some of them are quality and conscientious beer lovers, and others are out for a buck.
We are very fortunate, as we have found that Louisville has the aforementioned of the two. We are currently distributed by Dauntless Distribution in the entire state of KY. Dauntless, is owned and operated by one single person. But, that one single person, whom I know quite well, represents the epitome of what matters in doing business in the beer world. He is focused on providing only the highest quality products. He is focused on educating his customers on the products that he carries (so, in turn, he knows what he is selling). He researches and helps his customers decide which products are right for their customers. He has standards for draft line and pouring maintenance for his accounts. He simply will not sell 'anything to anybody' if it is not the right 'fit'. Dauntless acts as a conduit for our beers to reach the right retailers in a legal and timely fashion. Dauntless makes no effort in maintaining an inventory of our beers (so there is very little chance of product degradation).
It may seem counterproductive to have such a small distributor with such stringent standards, but because of his philosophy and business practices, we are the perfect fit for one another. His goals in doing business represent our desires for where our beer is sold.
I could ask to have our beer sold to the park, but it is counter to both of our business philosophies, of providing the highest quality product to our consumers...as i explained in the EATER article.

Lastly, the BATS are a baseball team. I think it isnt that they dont care, but rather they are more interested in winning baseball games. Much like we are interested in making and selling great beer. I cant speak for them, but im sure if great beer in the lone kiosk were a part of that winning equation for the team and park, they would seek out great beer. Maybe the best course of action to get different beer there is to lobby a brewer with more money...maybe Sierra Nevada or HofbrauHaus (theyre local enough, right)? Id say they could foot the bill for making the necessary monetary contributions that the team needs for park upkeep, players equipment and facilities and salaries. I dont know, maybe. I can definitely say this, we arent interested in the having our logo on the back sign anytime soon. So if youre looking for a good beer, come see us in the restaurant or look for us at one the good beer joints around town.

Cheers
Sam "small brewer" Cruz
Against The Grain Brewery
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks for sharing here, Sam ...

One curious question, though, can't Dauntless distribute to Slugger Field? Can Centerplate legally decline to accept their business?

I would also like to see a lot of voices speak up to Bats management about tearing down the wall that keeps fans from picking up growlers or cups at AtG and carrying them into the ball park ... or, for that matter, coming out to get a cup and going back in.

Obviously, big beer money speaks with a loud voice at Slugger Field, but it seems like an organized crowd of ticket-buying fans ought to be able to mass their voices to be heard also.
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Dauntless is licensed to sell beer to anyone in the state of KY. However, we will not provide the supply that would make it worth the time for Dauntless or stadium concessions to sell in the stadium. Yes, Centerplate can refuse to buy from anyone. But, I haven't heard that this has ever happened. We dont really have any issues in dealing with Centerplate.

There will never be the option of having beer to be transported from inside AtG to ones seat in the ball park, as it is illegal. The physical space that AtG occupies and the physical space of the rest of the stadium are operating under two different liquor licenses. Therefore, one cannot purchase alcohol in one licensed space and take it to another for consumption.

Ive no idea why there is a no reentry rule, but if there wasnt, folks could come in and have a beer and go back. Either way, we are good with how they decide to do business, as we are focused on the doors facing Main St. (versus the doors facing the concourse).

Ultimately, I think the answer to this is in the hands of the majority of the game attendees. If they decide that they want more craft brands at the stadium, they must decrease their demand for macro stuff and buy at the craft kiosk. I dont buy the idea that they are uninformed or forced to buy macro. I just think that the majority of attendees are interested in BMC products. Hopefully that will change, but im not holding my breath. In the mean time, I see a massive number of folks who, regardless of the baseball games, want to drink good beer and make it a priority. So we will work with them to make sure they get the best of what we can offer.

Although, I think it would be comical to have this dispute with Sierra Nevada if they had the back billboard. 8)
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

S Cruz wrote:Although, I think it would be comical to have this dispute with Sierra Nevada if they had the back billboard. 8)

That's a cheap shot, given my plans to open a branch of our local brewery in Ashville. :D

By the way, congratulations on the great opportunities to brew and export overseas. Here's the press release about AtG's forthcoming European collab road trip:

http://potablecurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2013/04/against-grain-road-trip-euro-market-is.html

I really enjoyed the Session lager last night with Sorachi Ace. Could drink a keg of that ...
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm

So the good folks of Copenhagen will be enjoying Against The Grain beer soon. I imagine Sam will insist on flying those kegs over in his private jet, cleaning and hooking up the lines himself before allowing his beer to flow into crystal goblets.

Next thing you know, Europeans will be able to purchase bottles of Against The Grain beer at their soccer matches. But you won't be able to get one at a Bat's Game!

Nice to see a local brewer shilling for Sierra Nevada too!

"The only way to truly take a measure of our products claim to being world class, is to send them to the most critical markets on the globe for scrutiny. We are proud to say that, much like our local markets, global markets also receive Against the Grain beers with the enthusiasm that keeps us innovating, experimenting, and brewing cutting edge beers without compromise."
no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:09 pm

In the interest of getting both sides of this issue I've sent a query to the Bats at the following address.

jbreeding@batsbaseball.com

I encourage other baseball and beer fans who wish to get the Bat's attention regarding this issue to do the same. We will see if they bother to reply.

Hi,
My name is Shane Campbell. I'm a baseball fan and a craft beer fan. I've been coming to the park now for the last ten years and I'm sorry to say that the one thing that I do not enjoy about the park experience is the beer. There is very little, if any actual craft beer on tap within the park. You have a craft brewery co-located with the park and yet you don't have any way for craft beer lovers to drink the beer located there.

The brewery itself Against The Grain, is being questioned at length about this subject right now and they appear to be passing the blame to the Bats. They seem to be saying the the Bats are not interesting in providing taps to local brewers, but only maintaining contracts with national mass produced domestic beer makers.

So, I would like to know what the truth is. As a consumer, I have no way to sort this out myself. Please take a moment to way in on this subject if you could.

It's only fair to tell you that your response or lack of a response will be posted on the Louisville Hotbytes forum and will be submitted to the local Eater.com web site. I look forward to hearing from you on this issue. Cheers!

Shane Campbell
Next