Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Cantuckee Diner in Winchester, Ky.

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:09 am

I must have eaten at the Cantuckee Diner in Winchester, Ky. a hundred times. It is exactly the halfway point between our house in Oldham County and my wife's family home in Morgan County in Eastern Kentucky. It is just a place for good old fashioned comfort food. Chicken and dumplings (scratch), meatloaf, fried catfish, country ham, pork tenderloin, fried chicken all the faves. You can order off the menu (rarely) or go at the buffet which changes with what is in season. You'll find 3 or 4 vegetable choices, 2 meats, mashed taters, mac and cheese, stewed maters and the like. If you need your soup bean and cornbread fix this is the place to get some good ones, ask for a small plate of sliced onions to make it complete. But always get the ultimate corn pudding. Good corn pudding is hard to come by as it either sets up really dry or is mushy. Very few find that pefect consistency of custardy corn goodness.

If your hungry and happen to find yourself at the first exit to Winchester on I-64 E grab the chance. Go to the top of the ramp and turn right. Left at the first light and then your first left again. Down past the Pizza Hut, across the street from the Ale 8 One plant is where you'll find it. Don't mind the cheesy name just head on in for some good food and friendly folks.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:04 pm

When i lived in lexington from 1986 to 1994 we did try that place a few times....It was pretty good but nothing special....I would take Cracker Barrel over it...Unless it has improved since then....
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 pm

We started dining there in 1992. It has been pretty good (3 star) from the start. They are consistent and the people who own it actually cook the food and remember who you are :shock: and that never happens to me at Cracker Barrel. I like Cracker Barrel but if given the choice I have to go with the locals to keep my Eastern Kentucky roots honest :D .
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:48 pm

I will be going to Winchester week after next for a Spotter talk and I will try it again..... :lol: