Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Outlet mall approved for Simpsonville

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:08 pm

The proposed outlet mall received final approval and should break ground very soon with an anticipated opening Aug 2014. I'm not a big fan of these places but understand the economic dynamics (87 stores;1000 full-time jobs). In the case of this mall, it will only be 9 miles from the Gene Snyder on I-64. Factor in the Floyd's Fork park project (clearly visible on I-64 at about mile marker 20.5) and there will be some substantial infill. Outlet malls aren't known for good food in the surrounding areas, but since it will be so close to Louisville it may surprise us....If I were a restauranteur I'd keep this area on my radar screen.

http://www.wave3.com/story/21726250/exc ... obs-coming
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Outlet mall approved for Simpsonville

by Mark R. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

And this has what to do about food? :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Mark R. wrote:And this has what to do about food? :roll:

"Outlet malls aren't known for good food in the surrounding areas, but since it will be so close to Louisville it may surprise us....If I were a restauranteur I'd keep this area on my radar screen."
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 pm

Mark R. wrote:And this has what to do about food? :roll:

I think James's post answered that question before you asked it, Mark.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 am

wait, there are plans for TWO in the same locale? or is this a race for first-one-to-build?

Trio/Paragon plans a 400,000-square-foot outlet center and requested to rezone 47 acres from Agricultural to Limited Interchange (X-1) and allows the retail center. The other 17 acres included the development, which also features nine out-lots around the retail center, already are zoned X-1 and appropriate for an outlet mall.

Horizon Group plans a 364,000-square-foot outlet mall on 55 acres and continues to await approval from the Army Corps of Engineers to drain a 6.5-acre lake on its property. All of its other legal approvals have been met.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/sim ... -mall-site

Either one of these will have an impact on the food landscape in Simpsonville-Shelbyville.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:09 am

Well I live in Simpsonville and I welcome it. Sure, they're not known for good food. But at least having some options out there are better than none. Currently, we have a Wendy's, the worlds slowest DQ and a Subway. Of course, there is the Old Stone Inn..but I'm not about to drop that much money after the semi lousy experiences I've had there. When you have a 5 yr old and a chaotic life as it is, even having more fast food options is welcome. Beats the 30 min. round trip to and from Middletown/Shelbyville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 am

Megan Watts wrote:Well I live in Simpsonville and I welcome it. Sure, they're not known for good food. But at least having some options out there are better than none. Currently, we have a Wendy's, the worlds slowest DQ and a Subway. Of course, there is the Old Stone Inn..but I'm not about to drop that much money after the semi lousy experiences I've had there. When you have a 5 yr old and a chaotic life as it is, even having more fast food options is welcome. Beats the 30 min. round trip to and from Middletown/Shelbyville.

I think this will change over the next few years. That location is only about 10-15 minutes from Lake Forest and many other developments near Vallhala and beyond. An outlet mall comprised of 87 stores (so they say) is a major retail development. We only live about 20 minutes from there as well.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am

This development is painfully on the way to and from my home. The idiotic transportation department is allowing them to move the main road to my home (Veechdale) such that we'll now have to circle the outlet mall to reconnect to the "old" road to get home. It's a helluva poor tradeoff to see an Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday added to the lineup of Simpsonville eateries.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 am

Joel F wrote:wait, there are plans for TWO in the same locale? or is this a race for first-one-to-build?

Trio/Paragon plans a 400,000-square-foot outlet center and requested to rezone 47 acres from Agricultural to Limited Interchange (X-1) and allows the retail center. The other 17 acres included the development, which also features nine out-lots around the retail center, already are zoned X-1 and appropriate for an outlet mall.

Horizon Group plans a 364,000-square-foot outlet mall on 55 acres and continues to await approval from the Army Corps of Engineers to drain a 6.5-acre lake on its property. All of its other legal approvals have been met.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/sim ... -mall-site

Either one of these will have an impact on the food landscape in Simpsonville-Shelbyville.

Paragon says they are "on hold."
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 am

aha, thanks TP.

Is there no one filling the void left by Las Palmas?

It's been a while since I went through town.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:17 am

Joel F wrote:
Is there no one filling the void left by Las Palmas?

Unfortunately, not yet. Fingers crossed.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm

We drove by the other day, it's huge.

Horizon Group Properties will host a job fair for The Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass Wednesday at the Martha Layne Collins High School Gymnasium, 801 Discovery Blvd. in Shelbyville. The event is from 4-7:30 p.m. with representatives from many stores and businesses.

More than 1,000 positions need to be filled, according to Gina Slechta, vice president of marketing for Horizon Group Properties.

“There is a wide variety of positions available including management, sales associate, security, administration, marketing, maintenance, and housekeeping. With the shopping center opening in July, many of the stores are hoping to interview and hire on the spot,” Slechta said.

Applicants should dress for success and bring plenty of copies of their resumes. Applicants must be 16 years or older.

Construction began May 2013 on the 374,300 square-foot, 50-acre factory outlet shopping center located in Simpsonville. The Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass is scheduled to open July 31 with a wide variety of well-known designer outlets, including Coach, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Michael Kors, Nike, North Face, Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5TH, Under Armour and more.

from the developers' press release:

The center is over 95% leased and it is expected that additional store names will be announced in the near future. Horizon and CBL are co-developing the project with Horizon responsible for leasing and management.

The Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass will contribute significantly to the area's local economy by creating new jobs and generating sales tax revenue. An estimated 1,000 jobs will be created when the center opens and generate sales taxes of $8 million for the Commonwealth. The center will also provide significant revenue to the local government and school district through real estate and other taxes.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 pm

the facebook page already has 20k likes... :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/TheOutletShoppesoftheBluegrass
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:54 am

Joel F wrote:More than 1,000 positions need to be filled, according to Gina Slechta, vice president of marketing for Horizon Group Properties.

Unfortunately the overwhelming majority (I'm guessing 80%) of these jobs will be part-time-less than 28 hours per week with pay coming in at a fraction above minimum wage (think $8.50 to $9.00-ish) and no (as in zero) part-time benefits.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Steve P wrote:Unfortunately the overwhelming majority (I'm guessing 80%) of these jobs will be part-time-less than 28 hours per week with pay coming in at a fraction above minimum wage (think $8.50 to $9.00-ish) and no (as in zero) part-time benefits.

#ThanksObama
Next