Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:49 pm

Chris M wrote:I would have given them maybe a 74.

For the record, I generally wouldn't devote a review to a chain unless I could honestly rate it well into the 80s, dramatically exceeding expectations; or well below 70, which I'll do occasionally if a new chain is drawing crowds and generating a buzz but is so horrible that "foodies" need to be warned. ;) If it earns a standard C grade, I figure I can save my ink for an interesting indie.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:58 pm

I've been to Buca three times. It has been above average and a good value every time. Kind of difficult to screw up salad and pasta with red sauce, but even the chicken saltimbocca was good. Their side dish of escarole sauteed with lots of garlic and hot chile flakes is excellent.
no avatar
User

Wayde H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm

Buca

by Wayde H » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm

I have tried Buca on several occasions over the years since it opened, and do not see what people like about it. Chain-wise I would always choose Carraba's or Amerigo if I wanted Italian when on Hurstbourne. However, if possible, I would always choose Mellilo's over any of them. I do know that the style of Buca di Beppo is diferent, but I just haven't had anything there that I have liked, and n all honesty would even prefer Macaroni or Olive Garden(If desperate) over this restaurant.
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm with Wayde. The last time I ate at Buca, I ended up in the hospital the next morning with a minor heart attack. Have eaten at Melillo's several times since - no coronary impact yet. Live longer - eat at Melillos!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 pm

ok, let's be clear. I am not comparing Buca to the indies. I think I am on record as preferring indies. But, is Jeffrey claiming that Buca gave him a heart attack? Dude, I'd be a little more careful about saying things like that on a public forum. What you might consider being Bourdain Jr., might be considered defamation to someone else.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Robin you say ...If a new chain is drawing crowds....Where have you been....Most of them draw a crowd every night of the week and are packed on the weekends.....I would say a better word for a new place is a MOB not a crowd....that is what they do every night of the week... :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:22 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Robin you say ...If a new chain is drawing crowds....Where have you been....Most of them draw a crowd every night of the week and are packed on the weekends.....I would say a better word for a new place is a MOB not a crowd....that is what they do every night of the week... :D

Let it go, Robert. Please.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:16 am

Jeffrey D. wrote:I'm with Wayde. The last time I ate at Buca, I ended up in the hospital the next morning with a minor heart attack. Have eaten at Melillo's several times since - no coronary impact yet. Live longer - eat at Melillos!

O_o I'm stunned that you would imply that the two events were in any way related... on a very public forum, even tongue in cheek, that's just an unbelievable thing to say.
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Hey - ease up. Maybe my family's joke about the event didn't translate well in print. Sorry. Of course the meal didn't cause the m.i. On the other hand, I've not eaten caesar salad since that night, and no more heart attacks! Connection? :D
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:53 pm

For a good, rowdy time with a large group (and kids) , Buca di Beppo is a great choice. We've been a number of times for B'day dinners, etc and always pleased with the food and the service. We also really like the chicken saltimbocca, the antipasto-laden salad and the Pope Room. Food is WAY better than Olive Garden and the bathrooms are much more interesting... :wink:

Deb
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:01 pm

Bucca is just a fun place. I think that the food is just fine but the overall experience is fun. To me, this is a great place to go with a large group. It's actually an awesome place to take a church youth group to. I liked Robin's review because in his description of the place he made people realize that it is a fun place more than anything else. Sometimes having fun dining is a delightful experience.
Previous