Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Monday :(

no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

Monday :(

by Holly C » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:40 pm

After reading recent threads and knowing we didn't have any food in our house, we decided to go out for dinner tonight. We initially wanted to try Luigi's, but then read Robin's review saying they closed at 5 pm (seeing that it was an old review, I also gave them a call -- it was 6 pm -- but got an answering machine). So then we decided to go to Baxter Station, but arrived and found them closed as well. My next thought was Le Gallo Russo, but... you guessed it: closed. I also noticed that Avalon was closed as we walked by, not that we were dressed for Avalon.

It was pretty disappointing. I know I've said this a million times, but I wish things stayed open later downtown... someday maybe downtown will have the capacity of residents needed to make that happen. And then to have every other restaurant I could think of be closed because it was Monday as well... boo.

We ended up at Molly Malone's, where I had a bowl of potato and leek soup and their mussel appetizer for dinner and the bf had shepherd's pie. Very good, especially with some good stout to wash it all down, but it would have been nice to have been able to eat at any of the other three places I thought of first. Oh well.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:52 pm

The majority of Highlands/Downtown/Frankfort Ave eateries are closed on Mondays. Inevitably that is when I want to dine at them.

We tried to go to New Albany Bistro this past Monday. You guessed it, closed.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:56 pm

In the burbs they are always open..... :roll:
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Mondays

by Amy Hoover » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:02 am

Primo is open on Mondays for lunch and dinner, as is Bourbon's Bistro. L & N opens at five Mondays I believe. I know all three are somewhat upscale, but all three also have options that don't break the bank and are more than welcoming to the casually dressed diner.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Monday hours :(

by Doogy R » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:11 am

These 3 links are by no means all inclusive, but they are good place to start to check when places are opened and closed.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?page_id=7

http://menusoflouisville.com/default.aspx

http://www.louisvillediner.com/

Hope this helps. :D
Last edited by Doogy R on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:12 am

Amy A wrote:The majority of Highlands/Downtown/Frankfort Ave eateries are closed on Mondays. Inevitably that is when I want to dine at them.

We tried to go to New Albany Bistro this past Monday. You guessed it, closed.
Sorry you missed us Amy!- We are looking at opening Monday evening though we are open for lunch. We are also concidering Sunday brunch as well.
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:30 am

David, we definitely will be back. My in-laws are N'Albanian's. We live in Jeff, so we often hit these areas when we meet for dinner.
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Monday :(

by MichaelBolen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:34 am

Holly Cummings wrote:After reading recent threads and knowing we didn't have any food in our house, we decided to go out for dinner tonight. We initially wanted to try Luigi's, but then read Robin's review saying they closed at 5 pm (seeing that it was an old review, I also gave them a call -- it was 6 pm -- but got an answering machine). So then we decided to go to Baxter Station, but arrived and found them closed as well. My next thought was Le Gallo Russo, but... you guessed it: closed. I also noticed that Avalon was closed as we walked by, not that we were dressed for Avalon.

It was pretty disappointing. I know I've said this a million times, but I wish things stayed open later downtown... someday maybe downtown will have the capacity of residents needed to make that happen. And then to have every other restaurant I could think of be closed because it was Monday as well... boo.

We ended up at Molly Malone's, where I had a bowl of potato and leek soup and their mussel appetizer for dinner and the bf had shepherd's pie. Very good, especially with some good stout to wash it all down, but it would have been nice to have been able to eat at any of the other three places I thought of first. Oh well.

well, there is probably 100,000 middle-upper class people living between downtown, the highlands, and Crescent Hill. so i dont think population is the problem, i think its kind of more that locally owned places are small. since they are small their owners are always working and sort of need a day off, and since monday is usually slow (even for chains), they take off. chains stay open bc they have hired out people, etc. i think many of the small local places are closed sundays and mondays in the suburbs too. but yeah i agree more casual options will be nice that stay open for dinner, too bad the cj is crap or they would think to compile lists like that. for example, a list of indies open late or a list of indies open on monday. eeww i hat ethe cj lol what a horrible paper, its the worst paper i have seen and i just moved here not too long ago.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Yummy

by Heather Y » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:46 am

hmmm, Monday is one of our busiest days ( Meridian Cafe) even though we are only open for lunch.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:29 pm

At the cooking class I was at recently, Luigi was asked why he wasn't open for dinner. He said, "I don't have a twin." For him I think it is just to much time for him to do it all.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Re: Yummy

by MikeG » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Heather Y wrote:hmmm, Monday is one of our busiest days ( Meridian Cafe) even though we are only open for lunch.

Probably because you're one of the few places open.

I still need to come try your place. The GF and I always intend to and then get sidetracked.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:52 pm

that, and probably our food is GOOD! LOL.

Look forward to seeing you whenever you can make it in.
We are not going anywhere!
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Monday :(

by Holly C » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:35 pm

MichaelBolen wrote:
well, there is probably 100,000 middle-upper class people living between downtown, the highlands, and Crescent Hill. so i dont think population is the problem, i think its kind of more that locally owned places are small. since they are small their owners are always working and sort of need a day off, and since monday is usually slow (even for chains), they take off. chains stay open bc they have hired out people, etc. i think many of the small local places are closed sundays and mondays in the suburbs too. but yeah i agree more casual options will be nice that stay open for dinner, too bad the cj is crap or they would think to compile lists like that. for example, a list of indies open late or a list of indies open on monday. eeww i hat ethe cj lol what a horrible paper, its the worst paper i have seen and i just moved here not too long ago.

I don't attribute Luigi's being closed to it being a Monday but to the fact that it, like most downtown businesses and casual dining restaurants, is closed after about 5 pm. I absolutely understand that everyone needs rest and downtime and dinner hours aren't for everyone, but it's just one more example of a downtown business that shuts down after business hours, despite the growing number of downtown residents. Hopefully that will change in the future.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Holly C » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 pm

robert szappanos wrote:In the burbs they are always open..... :roll:

I don't live in the burbs :) And if I were in the mood for burb food, I could always go to Friday's at 4SL, where they pleasantly ask where I'm visiting from -- apparently, only out-of-towners go to the 4SL Fridays!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:56 pm

and a whole lot of them....most people in the burbs really have no reason to go downtown...expect to work...
Next