Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Monday :(

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:56 pm

make that except.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 pm

hi holly,
thanks for thinking of us at baxter station for your monday dinner.
sorry to disappoint you!
we are only open for monday lunch... odd, i know.
monday night was just a no win for us...
everyone also wants a sunday night option, we tried it for a year, then gave it up.
for the independent owner, it seems that the only way to take a full day off ( meaning not being there at all) is to not be open.
that is about the only way to guarantee "life" out of the restaurant.
andrew
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:09 am

Yeah, I totally understand. If I owned a restaurant I would certainly want a day or two off just like everyone else, and Sundays and Mondays definitely make the most sense.

It just definitely hit home for us since we didn't think about it before getting into the car and then managed to find all the restaurants that were closed on Mondays!

We'll definitely be back to Baxter Station again soon, though!
no avatar
User

MichaelBolen

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Monday :(

by MichaelBolen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:36 am

Holly Cummings wrote:
MichaelBolen wrote:
well, there is probably 100,000 middle-upper class people living between downtown, the highlands, and Crescent Hill. so i dont think population is the problem, i think its kind of more that locally owned places are small. since they are small their owners are always working and sort of need a day off, and since monday is usually slow (even for chains), they take off. chains stay open bc they have hired out people, etc. i think many of the small local places are closed sundays and mondays in the suburbs too. but yeah i agree more casual options will be nice that stay open for dinner, too bad the cj is crap or they would think to compile lists like that. for example, a list of indies open late or a list of indies open on monday. eeww i hat ethe cj lol what a horrible paper, its the worst paper i have seen and i just moved here not too long ago.

I don't attribute Luigi's being closed to it being a Monday but to the fact that it, like most downtown businesses and casual dining restaurants, is closed after about 5 pm. I absolutely understand that everyone needs rest and downtime and dinner hours aren't for everyone, but it's just one more example of a downtown business that shuts down after business hours, despite the growing number of downtown residents. Hopefully that will change in the future.

well i live downtown too and i just moved here but i dont eat out much on monday. anyways, i guess you just have to try and think of every place. i think in general, there arent a whole lot of casual dining options downtown. i know its a chain, but i would like to see a panera and chipotle downtown. but i dont get how all these high end places can be open on a monday when the lower end ones cant? next time try proof or primo on monday. both are pretty reasonable, if a little pricey.
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:36 am

:( Yes, Michael, I have grown so disappointed with the CJ. It used to be a good paper when it was locally owned by the Bingham family. As to lists of indies open late or open on Monday, didn't LEO have such a list recently, which would be Robin, of course. Anyway, I know I saw the list, but I forget where. Might have been in Food & Dining. I don't know much about the Frankfort Ave. restaurants and others, but on Bardstown Rd., Diamante,
Ramsi's, Cafe 360 (which I can't recommend), and I think, Bristol stay open late. I don't know which stay open on Monday's except Diamante.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Monday :(

by Doogy R » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 am

MichaelBolen wrote:well, there is probably 100,000 middle-upper class people living between downtown, the highlands, and Crescent Hill. so i dont think population is the problem, i think its kind of more that locally .

Would you venture to say that more than 5% of that is REALLY downtown?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Holly C » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:40 am

I think the population of people that actually lives downtown is much smaller than the number that was given.

On WFPL's State of Affairs, the Tuesday show was about living downtown. I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but it sounded interesting. I, for one, have a list of reasons living downtown is great, and a list of things it needs for improvement. The proposed renovation of the 100 block of West Main sound intriguing, though.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi All. I produce State of Affairs (thanks for the plug Holly) and you can listen to our archive any time at http://www.wfpl.org/soa.htm. Once you get to the archive page, Just click on March 20, 2007 and the Living Downton show will start.
We don't podcast yet - but stay tuned!
User

Jeff U

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:57 pm

Highlands

Thanks for the referral Andrew

by Jeff U » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:32 am

andrew hutto wrote:hi holly,
thanks for thinking of us at baxter station for your monday dinner.
sorry to disappoint you!
we are only open for monday lunch... odd, i know.
monday night was just a no win for us...
everyone also wants a sunday night option, we tried it for a year, then gave it up.
for the independent owner, it seems that the only way to take a full day off ( meaning not being there at all) is to not be open.
that is about the only way to guarantee "life" out of the restaurant.
andrew

Thanks for the referral to Cafe Lou Lou last night after we stopped by Baxter Station. I remembered seeing Baxter Station mentioned on this thread and thought it was that you were open on Monday's....oh well, we will be back another night.

By the way, I thought you were trying to get a day off! Hopefully you got home shortly after we stopped by. Thanks again.

My guest from California enjoyed the drive through your neighborhood then over to Clifton for Cafe Lou Lou.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:49 pm

You know that the BBC is open on Mondays downtown. It's been remodeled and is now under the same ownership as the BBC st. Matthews.
User

Brand M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

Monday Late Night

by Brand M » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Carly Rae's on 1st and Oak.Just thought I'd let you guys know we are open on Monday nights, late. I wouldn't consider it completely downtown, more old Louisville area.Our dinner hours end at 9 P.M. and bar menu until midnight. We also have an open mic night with Joe Hanna going on in the lounge area starting at 9 P.M. The closed in patio is open until we close down at 1 A.M.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:55 pm

All i know is that the Kitchen, Rich-O's and Zen Garden are all open on Mondays.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Holly C » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:21 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:You know that the BBC is open on Mondays downtown. It's been remodeled and is now under the same ownership as the BBC st. Matthews.

We've been to BBC downtown twice in the last week :) As I've said before, it's MUCH better than the previous version, and we really enjoy it now!
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

seviche

by Madi D » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:53 am

Seviche is open every night of the week at 5
Previous