Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Zagat: 7 Up and Coming Food Cities

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Zagat: 7 Up and Coming Food Cities

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

From Zagat:

Louisville, KY

Though the culinary draw of this town has largely been the bourbon distilleries that are easily accessible by car (and the countless bars within the city limits that serve the native spirit), the city's restaurant scene has really taken off in the past five years or so. After all, you need something to eat after downing all that hooch. Proof on Main, in the über-cosmopolitan 21c Hotel, was there at the beginning of the boom, and chef Levon Wallace thinks that geography plays a role in the cities rise. He credits "the bounty of the Ohio River Valley" and "the rich tradition for things like bourbon and handcrafted hams" for the town's culinary rise.

The rise of chef Edward Lee also helped get Louisville on the radar of food lovers throughout the country, especially after he was a finalist on Top Chef: Texas. His 610 Magnolia has been going strong in the town for years. "The Louisville food scene has found a perfect balance of respect for old traditions and a curiosity for the new," he says. The city has aspects of Southern and Northern culture, and Lee says, "Brave young chefs are finding inspiration in cutting-edge design, culinary techniques and a dedication to Southern yet refined service that's becoming a hallmark of the Louisville restaurant scene."

Even though quality has been increasing, this river city still keeps things casual. Among recent openings, the trend is bourbon and high-end burgers. Just-debuted Game is making waves with patties made from kangaroo and antelope, Mussel+Burger Bar is a higher-end bistro, and Sidebar promises to spice up the town's whiskey row.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Zagat: 7 Up and Coming Food Cities

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: the city's restaurant scene has really taken off in the past five years or so.

I like the national publicity, but I'm sorry, I really do have to call BS on that one. We've had more national media exposure in the last five years or so, and East Main/Market (okay, NuLu) has gone up like a skyrocket. But a major change moving us into destination country since 2008? Sorry. That just doesn't pass the reality test. Say the east coast media has started noticing us more in recent years, there might be some truth in that. But even there, I was free-lancing for the NY Times Travel Section back in the '80s when I worked at the Louisville Times and CJ, and they recognized us as a significant restaurant scene even then.
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 am

I was gonna say.... the same article could have been written five or more years ago.
no avatar
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:24 am

This article doesn't mention Louisville.... but I thought you might recognize certain trends.....

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1123 ... microbrews