Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

In Search of the Whistlepig

no avatar
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

In Search of the Whistlepig

by Shane Campbell » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Rye whisky, rye whisky, rye whisky, I cry!
If you don't give me rye whisky, I surely will die.

This sentiment originally attributed to Pete Seeger, an American Folk singer most widely recognized for popularizing the Civil Rights anthem, “We Shall Overcome” in the 60s, resonated with other song smiths like Tex Ritter and Woody Guthrie in the so called golden, olden days. Many variations of this cry have been taken up in more modern times by the likes of Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Dave Matthews Band, and the Punch brothers.

We are all searching for something right? Even if we're not aware of it. I was not consciously aware that there was anything missing from my life when I happened across that first reference to Whistlepig Rye on the net. Coincidently and amazingly, I had just come across a reference to rye whiskey while familiarizing myself with the Punch Brother's music.

Obviously rye whisky must be about to figure prominently in my life I figured. After all, they can't put anything on the internet that's not true. Right?

In retrospect, I often find myself yearning for that next great thing as soon as I become aware of it – I admit I wanted Whistlepig Rye whiskey as soon as I read about it. 100% rye, 100 proof, 10 years in the barrel, hell who wouldn't want that? I knew I would feel better once I had it.

Driving home tonight on a familiar stretch of road with classic FM playing Boston, The Who, and Paul McCartney, I could see the bottle of Whistlepig sitting in my back seat in the rear view mirror. I couldn't help but reflect back on all the times I had driven this stretch of road. I had literally driven this way thousands of times over the years. Never before had there been a bottle of Whistlepig riding in the back. How should I feel about that? Triumphant? Why would I feel anything at all. Does anyone else contemplate such things? Don't answer that.

My how things had changed since I first drove this way by myself as a teenager. I was likely driving a borrowed car then and I was probably listening to the same songs then as I was tonight; they just weren't yet classics. Back then my whole life was ahead of me and I was impatient to get on with it. As long as I could remember, it seemed like I was just marking time until I could begin to live my real life. This one was just temporary.

Back then I never thought that when I'd finally become the person I was destined to be that I would ever be driving this road again listening to the same music. Back then I never drank whiskey, unless you count a couple of pulls off a fifth of Jeremiah Weed at the Salem Drive-in one night. That is my last clear recollection of either the Salem Drive-in or of one of my closest friends who helped me kill a fifth of orange vodka and an eight pack of Stroh's beer that night. Maybe clear recollection is the wrong term but what is clear is that neither the place or the friend now exist in my world. Temporary.

As much as I can try to fill my life with all the things that I think will make me happy I know that the things that count the most are the ones you never forget when they are gone.

I sit here now with an open bottle of Whistlepig Rye and a receipt for $87.97 and I know two things for sure. Everything in life is temporary so treasure it while it lasts and this is the best fucking rye whiskey I've ever had.

What do you know? I do feel better now. Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSAc3E1hWc
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: In Search of the Whistlepig

by Eric Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 am

I am a big rye whiskey fan. I have whistle pig at my store but have not pulled the trigger. I haven't even sampled it.

I have tried the other big boys of the rye scene. Van winkle rye, saz 18, eh Taylor rye, and what might be the best, high west 21 yr rye. The high west is a barton rye and was aged in reused cooperage. Saz 18 is unbelievably smooth and my go to premium rye.

Whistlepig has a 111 proof aged for 11 years at the suggested price of $111.
no avatar
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: In Search of the Whistlepig

by Brad Keeton » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 am

Rye love isn't good love.

I need to check this stuff out.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."