Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BD's Mongolian Barbeque

no avatar
User

Chris Hibbs

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Re: BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by Chris Hibbs » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 pm

Barb,
I hope this isn't the case, but it appears a little underhanded to see a new member use their first post to dust the cobwebs off a negative review in order to write a glowing rebuttal.

Although you owe me nothing, please tell me you have no professional or personal affiliation with BD's beyond being a happy customer.

Regards,
Chris
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:20 am

Chris Hibbs wrote:Barb,
I hope this isn't the case, but it appears a little underhanded to see a new member use their first post to dust the cobwebs off a negative review in order to write a glowing rebuttal.

Although you owe me nothing, please tell me you have no professional or personal affiliation with BD's beyond being a happy customer.

Regards,
Chris

I don't think I would classify her rebuttal as "glowing". I work near BD's and most of my co-workers love the place. I don't like it.

They're called opinions and everyone is entitled to their own. Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they have to have an adjenda and it doesn't mean you should question their motives.

Jesus this board pisses me off sometimes.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:11 am

Barb- welcome to the forum, and thank you for your input. As you can tell we are a pretty opinionated group. I, for one, am always happy to have a new voice added to the mix. I hope we hear more from you soon.
no avatar
User

Chris Hibbs

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Chris Hibbs » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 am

Chris,
I am sorry to piss you off. It was not my intent.

I enjoy good debates, different opinions, and perspectives and try not to bash others' opinions (although I sometimes fail).
I simply found too many little strange things with the post that it doesn't quite seem to be unbiased. That being said, they may all be coincidental and I am totally wrong. Either way, this forum has provided this Louisville transplant so much great restaurant advice (not just with great places to go, but others to avoid) that I greatly value the credibility of this board and in this case, wanted to defend it.

Please know that I didn't just take a quick read and post a knee-jerk attack. I did some research and found enough points that I felt like the question needed to be asked.

Points of interest:
- First post
- Very positive review
- Based on old post (over 3 months without activity). BTW, using forum search of "BD's Mongolian" (prior to posts this week) would have put the negative reviews of on second page of search results. "mongolian" on its own is just as bad. The forum wont let you search for just "bd's".
- The phrase "fast casual arena"...how many restaurant outsiders use that? How many insiders actually use that phrase that aren't involved in franchising? (I'm not just asking this rhetorically...I hadn't heard the phrase before tonight, although I haven't worked in a restaurant in over 10 years).
- Even more positive review on Yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/bds-mongolian-grill-louisville#hrid:xZQSoT8gg3pl_S_fXWXtTA
- Forum post stated that she ate there "last night." If the post was on Nov. 15 afternoon, would last night be Nov. 14? The Yelp review was posted on Nov. 13. That's last night's last night.
- Consistent use of the trademark-correct lowercase "bd's" in the post. Check http://www.gomongo.com/. Almost everyone incorrectly types it as "BD's". Very few type "Bd's". The message seems to be too in touch with the branding for something as obscure as a Mongolian BBQ place (unlike eBay or iPod).
- Like a good restaurateur, even sneaks in a mention of dessert :D
- Is the name Barb B. a take on Barb B Que? OK, that one's a stretch.

Sorry for the long post...unfortunately, my family was sick in bed tonight, so I was killing time waiting for the Couture / Lesnar fight to start and had more time on my hands than normal. Like I said, I could be totally wrong here. If so, I will apologize profusely and censure (and censor) myself.

Regards,
Chris
no avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Hey Chris Hibbs: Also, don't forget the casual mention of the "new manager" who has only been there a couple of months (i.e., since the last bad review post). I'm with you on this one. Highly suspicious. Thanks for "protecting the field," as a golfer would say.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Chris,

I wondered the same thing when I read this review.....

I'm hoping Barb comes back to clarify if she has a connection. We LOVE new posters here, but expect honesty and up-frontness in identifying any connections the reviewer has to a restaurant.

DEb
no avatar
User

Barb B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:34 am

by Barb B » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:17 pm

WOW! Didn't know that my effort to spread the word about a pleasant dinner experience could raise such concerns! In response to those concerns: Is there some unspoken rule that a "first post" needs to be a negative review? If so, I apologize. I agree with the one gentleman in that I don't believe my review was "glowing". I am not affiliated with "bd's Mongolian Grill" to put your mind at ease, and I sincerely apologize for referring to a restaurant by it's correct name! I due tend to look at the sign of a restaurant or store before I walk in , especially when they are new. I HAVE been in the restaurant business(not a franchise,a good ole mom and pop place) in the past and therefore enjoy trying new places and meeting the people who run them. I mentioned the "new manager" because I was very impressed with him. He was new to the area. I gave him alot of tips about the Louisville area. He asked if I would spread the word about my positive experience at bd's and I told him I would be happy to. I guess maybe I should just stick with face to face conversations. My motives aren't usually questioned in that arena. (oh, there's that word "arena" again). Sorry! If my motive and suspicious connections are in question because of a positive review, why are not Michelle's because of a bad review? Could she be associated with the other mongolian grill around the corner (did we ever decide which name was on the door? Is it capital letters or lower case letters?)

I tried another restaurant for the first time and was gonna get on and review it. Decided to check here first. Think I"ll wait on posting any more opinions for now. Those who want me back say "yeah" and those who still find me suspicious, say "adios" and I'll be on my way.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Oh, Barb, please don't let a few prickly folks run you off........we've just had a few bad experiences with first time posters coming in, praising a place, and finding out a bit later that they are the marketing director for the holding company, or some such. Once burned, twice shy seems to fit here.

We tend to be a a friendly lot, once we get to know you. And I think, in light of of the disclaimer, several apoligies are in order.........gentlemen????
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:... And I think, in light of of the disclaimer, several apoligies are in order.........gentlemen????

I wholeheartedly agree, Bill.
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:57 pm

Barb B wrote:WOW! Didn't know that my effort to spread the word about a pleasant dinner experience could raise such concerns! In response to those concerns: Is there some unspoken rule that a "first post" needs to be a negative review? If so, I apologize. I agree with the one gentleman in that I don't believe my review was "glowing". I am not affiliated with "bd's Mongolian Grill" to put your mind at ease, and I sincerely apologize for referring to a restaurant by it's correct name! I due tend to look at the sign of a restaurant or store before I walk in , especially when they are new. I HAVE been in the restaurant business(not a franchise,a good ole mom and pop place) in the past and therefore enjoy trying new places and meeting the people who run them. I mentioned the "new manager" because I was very impressed with him. He was new to the area. I gave him alot of tips about the Louisville area. He asked if I would spread the word about my positive experience at bd's and I told him I would be happy to. I guess maybe I should just stick with face to face conversations. My motives aren't usually questioned in that arena. (oh, there's that word "arena" again). Sorry! If my motive and suspicious connections are in question because of a positive review, why are not Michelle's because of a bad review? Could she be associated with the other mongolian grill around the corner (did we ever decide which name was on the door? Is it capital letters or lower case letters?)

I tried another restaurant for the first time and was gonna get on and review it. Decided to check here first. Think I"ll wait on posting any more opinions for now. Those who want me back say "yeah" and those who still find me suspicious, say "adios" and I'll be on my way.

Rest assured, I have no affiliation with Shah's, Khan's, whatever it is called. I don't have a dog in the fight. I thought BD's sucked, and I posted my opinion. You may have had a different experience. I will NOT be returning. That is all.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Chris Hibbs

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Chris Hibbs » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:04 pm

Barb.
Thank you for posting. I humbly apologize to you for being so rude and unwelcoming.

Best regards,
Chris

edit: Avatar updated to an image more fitting.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Chris Hibbs wrote:Barb.

Chris

edit: Avatar updated to an image more fitting.

Beautiful .. you can come out tomorrow.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Barb B wrote: Those who want me back say "yeah" and those who still find me suspicious, say "adios" and I'll be on my way.

Barb, one big "Yeah" from the forum moderator.

One of my strongest rules for this forum is that we be civil and friendly and avoid personal attacks on each other. In my experience, we have 100 percent nice people in this forum, but just about all of us can get up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning and behave stupid until we get our coffee. I'm sorry that happened to you in this discussion. It doesn't happen here often, and if I have my way, it will happen less.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Add another "Yeah" from this corner too! Some of us may seem a little harsh at first but we really don't bite and are rather friendly once you get to know us!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:33 am

Oh hell yes come back! I for one like your assertiveness! :wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
PreviousNext