Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BD's Mongolian Barbeque

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Re: BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by Michelle R. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:15 am

The hubby and I, and a group of friends went last night, and we will NEVER be back. We had the worst service, EVER, and the place was filthy. There was food mixed in with other food in the tubs, the floor was sticky, most of the food items had not been refilled, and to get ingredients for your meal, you had to basically scrape the bottom of container for scraps.

The meat, which they put out slightly frozen, had defrosted, and turned into some nasty sort of thing resembling meat jello, and if you are a picky eater, avoid this place at all costs. There are several people cooking who try very hard to keep people's food separated, but there are also several who could care less, and half of my food ended up in someone else's food, while my dinner (which started out as steak, potatoes, and broccoli) ended up as steak, broccoli, potatoes, corn, shrimp, and edamame.

Several of the people working the "grill" are also extraordinarily rude. One of them actually yelled, "Hey buddy, you need to go to the end of the line!" at my husband, who walked up and stood beside me. The puzzling thing is, there IS no line. People just walk up and stand where there is a spot to stand and wait for their food. There's no "Line Begins Here" sign.

If you decide to be brave and go, lie your butt off and try the station they have set up for folks with food allergies, although I'd still be wary, as I saw steak in the chicken, chicken in the steak, and seafood mixed in with the other meats.

This, plus the fact that our waitress was a complete flake, and like I said, I will NEVER return. The sad part is, because this is in a great location, it could put Kahn's in peril, and It was absolutely packed. Avoid it like the plague!

**Edited because looking at the big paragraph made my eyes hurt.
Last edited by Michelle R. on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 am

Michelle R. wrote:The hubby and I, and a group of friends went last night, and we will NEVER be back.

Michelle, sometimes it's harder to write a negative review than a glowing one, but you did a great job. I want to congratulate you for making your honest case in clear, specific terms. You've painted a word picture that's going to be mighty hard for anyone who goes in there to forget! ;)
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:03 pm

Just trying to keep folks from wasting hard-earned money. Our meal was nearly $40, and we had to beg the waitress for our check, which it took her 30 minutes to bring out. All in all, an AWFUL experience. Don't waste your time or money on this one.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Michelle, thanks for your review. My wife and I have been considering going there but based on your review we definitely won't. As Robin stated, you review certainly painted a good picture of the place, one I don't want to see!

It's nice to see bad reviews as well as good ones here, it makes it much easier to make dining decisions.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:17 pm

I went there about a month ago. The service was lacking, but the selection of spices and sauces really blew away the old Two Hans. I had a feeling they would have a hard time keeping the place clean. There were lots of very young kids there, which surprised me. I would think that type of food would not be very appealing to children. But while eating I noticed more food hitting the floor then the kids mouths. While the service was lacking I am sure the servers do not make a huge amount of money either. When folks half prep their own food and wait for it to be cooked before returning to the table I bet they are not inclined to leave a big tip. So if I were try to compare serice there it would have to be to some place like a buffet. I simply told the server we were in a hurry to get to a movie and things went pretty well. But that is just me I do not expect too much from the servers at a Mongolian Grill, bring me a drink and my bill that is about it. They did have boubon and local beer soo that should cover a lot of server sin?
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:23 am

Exactly. All they have to do is bring drinks and occasional bowl of rice. You'd think that service would have been impeccable. I ordered a diet coke, and she brought me 3 wrong drinks, one of which was unsweetened iced tea! How do you confuse iced tea with diet coke? The root beer and Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb I could almost understand, but iced tea?
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:37 am

Michelle R. wrote:The hubby and I, and a group of friends went last night, and we will NEVER be back. We had the worst service, EVER, and the place was filthy. There was food mixed in with other food in the tubs, the floor was sticky, most of the food items had not been refilled, and to get ingredients for your meal, you had to basically scrape the bottom of container for scraps. .

Michelle,

Thank you for the review. Based on your experiences I can't imagine we'll be visiting BD's. Yuck.

On a different note, we have tried "Kahn's" on a couple of different occasions and have had a very positive experience both times. Even though neither of us are big "buffet" fans we found Kahn's to be exceptionally clean with good service and above average food.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:33 am

Question:

Based on Michelle's one bad expereince (I'm sorry, Michelle), you're not going to try it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:18 am

Kyle L wrote:Question:

Based on Michelle's one bad expereince (I'm sorry, Michelle), you're not going to try it?

I would respect Steve's opinion even if I didn't agree with it: When it comes to Louisville, there are so many restaurants and so little time. A locally owned and operated Mongolian grill (Kahn's) gets consistent good reviews. A chain on Hurstbourne gets a rotten one? Unless I were a food critic with a duty to check 'em all out, I think I'd be influenced by a report like Michelle's. Your mileage may vary.
no avatar
User

Keith D Heath

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm

by Keith D Heath » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 am

I had a very similar, very negative experience at BD's a few weeks after they opened. The restaurant was loud, obnoxious and a huge mess... I'll just echo the sentiments of others and say I won't be going back.

So Kahn's... is that were 2 Hahn's used to be? Do you have to yell KAAAHHHNNNN when you walk in the door!?!? (Sorry old Star Trek movie reference)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 am

Keith D Heath wrote:So Kahn's... is that were 2 Hahn's used to be? Do you have to yell KAAAHHHNNNN when you walk in the door!?!? (Sorry old Star Trek movie reference)

HAHAHAHA!!!

Correctamundo on the location. I think, but am not positive, that the owner may be ONE of the original two Hahns.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Kyle L wrote:Question:

Kyle,

Well like my old pal Brett Favre says..."Never say never"...but being in the unique position that ALL of the places you folks have enjoyed for years are new to us, I doubt BD's will percolate to the top of list for a while. Maybe we can talk Robin into reviewing the place in the coming months.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Steve P wrote:Maybe we can talk Robin into reviewing the place in the coming months.

Damn, why am I the guy who always has to take one for the team? :shock:
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:Maybe we can talk Robin into reviewing the place in the coming months.

Damn, why am I the guy who always has to take one for the team? :shock:

Don't look at us....you're the one who created this monster :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: 8)
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Barb B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:34 am

by Barb B » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:17 pm

We tried bd's last night and really liked it. I had seen some of the reviews and was a little skeptical but figured I would make my own decision. For a restaurant in the fast casual arena we thought it was a good value and thought the atmosphere and service were great. We felt the Asian theme based on the way the building looks and the 'Mongolian' in the name are a little misleading. With all the different ingredients you can create almost any type of food. The place was clean and the buffet and grill area were staffed with people answering questions and directing people through the grill. We didn't eat dessert but saw several that looked pretty good. A manager came by our table and checked on us. He was very nice and we spoke for several minutes. We learned that he had taken over a couple months ago.

I enjoy the forum and just wanted to share my thoughts. We will definately return to bd's.
PreviousNext