Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BD's Mongolian Barbeque

no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: BD's Mongolian Barbeque

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Well I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE B.D.s. We've been going once a month to one, usually Lexington's, ever since I went to my first one last summer. If you had a problem with Mogolian then, no offense, but it was probably your poor decisions on what to put on your plate for you to fix. B.D.s has various meat options, which may include meatballs, duck, crawfish, and lamb, and always have steak, chicken, pork, fish, and shrimp as options.

Your problem probably came from the sauces; some don't work well. B.D.s have recipe cards you can use to choose your ingredients, so take one and you should be most happy.

I WILL be there on May 19th at 11am. :twisted:
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed May 14, 2008 6:41 am

I'm with you on this one Mark. After the first trip the novelty is gone and your left with only a so-so meal. Perhaps it's my inability to select the food combinations.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu May 15, 2008 8:28 pm

I got an invite to their soft opening, friends and family, tonight. This place is LOUD, loud music, loud servers, loud clanging of utensils...my ears are still ringing. It reminded me decor-wise of Outback, booths along the wall, tables in the middle. We started with a trip to the salad bar, other than the blue cheese dressing having a bubbly foamy top it looked fresh and well attended, they seemed to have a "helper" at every station. As we approached the bar to choose our meats for the bbq we were again greeted by a helper, wanting us to peruse recipe cards and offering to fill our plates for us. I got more than one type of meat, lamb, ribeye and shrimp, the veggie selection was good and all looked fresh as well, although it was a little messy by the time we went through. The sauce bar was full of choices, I ended up with two little bowls of sauce and passed on the dry spices, I wasn't sure how those would incorporate into the mix, but there were many of them. Up we went to the grill where several people were waiting to cook our food...loudly...they obviously hadn't practiced extensively, I ended up with a bunch of stuff in my bowl that I hadn't started out with, potatoes, broccoli, onion, and a lone piece of calamari. The server then brings bowls of white rice, brown rice and tortillas to the table. I made the annoying discovery that when one puts a tip in the tip jar a very loud gong is sounded and all the servers yell MONGO. Did I mention how loud it was?? The food was tasty, very similar to Shah's I thought, although at Shah's I make my a little more "saucy" and I do like the marination effect of having my food and my sauce together the entire cooking time. The printed menu was a little confusing, a lot of choices of salad, soup, one trip, multi trips, and I'm not really sure if the rice bowls and tortillas are included with all of the above. I'll be curious to see what this place is like when it gets up and running well, but I hope they mute the music a bit...
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri May 16, 2008 12:41 am

Mary Anne

Sounds like a good place to stay away from. Don't like that method of cooking and hate loud.

May be more annoying than Moe's. Walked in there once and when everybody shouted "welcome to Moe's" turned and walked out.
I can't imagine sitting there and listening to that when each customer comes in.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Fri May 16, 2008 2:15 am

Must be due a party atmosphere, with a soft opening for friends and family. I have been to other BDs a lot of times, and can't remember ever hearing the gong being used, or it being particularly loud, and I'm known by now to not being big on loud noises. (Why I avoid Cici's Pizza). You may just want to wait until a few weeks after opening to go, when things have settled down.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat May 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Mark Head wrote:Have I missed something? I find Mongolian grill cooking sort of nasty. No taste, doesn't look or feel clean, the raw ingrediants (frozen meat) are incredibly unappealling. A communal rice pot....ugh.

I'm open to new things....but thus far I've been to 2-haun (?) some years ago and a chinese place on the east-end that does a Mongolian grill and I just don't get it. I did contract a bowel problem and indigestion.

No... no taste? Haha are you serious? Our meals at Shah's (and yes even when it was 2 Hahns) have never been lacking in taste. I've never had an issue with cleanliness there either, unless i went through right after a careless parent allowed their 8 year-old free reign with the sauces. Not sure what problem you have with raw ingredients...there seems to be a conceptual problem there to me (I kid, I kid). Seriously though, it's frozen to KEEP it safe. Bowel problems after a meal at some places, can simply result from consuming things outside of your norm... even when you think you are used to them.

I've never been impressed with the grills at the chinese buffets... but I can't really recall the last time I particularly enjoyed anything at a chinese buffet though. Shah's on the other hand... that's a favorite for us.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sun May 18, 2008 12:27 am

Aaron Newton wrote:
Mark Head wrote:Have I missed something? I find Mongolian grill cooking sort of nasty. No taste, doesn't look or feel clean, the raw ingrediants (frozen meat) are incredibly unappealling. A communal rice pot....ugh.

I'm open to new things....but thus far I've been to 2-haun (?) some years ago and a chinese place on the east-end that does a Mongolian grill and I just don't get it. I did contract a bowel problem and indigestion.

No... no taste? Haha are you serious? Our meals at Shah's (and yes even when it was 2 Hahns) have never been lacking in taste. I've never had an issue with cleanliness there either, unless i went through right after a careless parent allowed their 8 year-old free reign with the sauces. Not sure what problem you have with raw ingredients...there seems to be a conceptual problem there to me (I kid, I kid). Seriously though, it's frozen to KEEP it safe. Bowel problems after a meal at some places, can simply result from consuming things outside of your norm... even when you think you are used to them.

I've never been impressed with the grills at the chinese buffets... but I can't really recall the last time I particularly enjoyed anything at a chinese buffet though. Shah's on the other hand... that's a favorite for us.

Ok....not no taste....just not very good taste. Sorry...that's just my experience and my take. I've dined at weird places all over the world....the local Mongolian grill scene has been fairly pedestrian although it's been over 5 years since I ate at one. It's not all that exotic....just not that good IMO. If I decide I need enlightenment, maybe I'll check out BD's.
no avatar
User

Ryana D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

by Ryana D » Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 am

Bd's Opened today. Went for the first time. Good service, friendliy grill guys. Brown rice was too sticky, but I value good rice :wink: . Since they asked me to take a survay, I told them about the rice, said they would fix it. I will go back. I like the idea of it never being the same and that I get to create my dinner.
(Wrote a long review but hit the wrong botton, that way its so short, didn't want to retype it).
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue May 20, 2008 2:07 am

I got to be the first customer; as a result, mine and my companion's meal was free. It could also be because we mentioned we kept going to Lexington for a while now, so they paid for our loyalty. :D

Not used to the gong being used so much, but the food was definitely good. She complained about some of her meat being a bit overdone, but as this is the first day, a little inexperience is to be expected.

We had a dessert that was supposed to be reminiscent of a Reese's Cup, but it was too peanut buttery for me and not enough for her.

I feel sorry for the poor girl dressed as their mascot, a "mongo warrior" called Mongo Man. It kept getting deflated, and she had to waddle whenever she moved.

They had WAY too many employees there, but it could be they wanted more than enough due to all the corporate suits being there.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 am

I went yesterday on my lunch. I didnt have time to mess around and sample different sauces so I just had the Kung Pao. The sauce was a little too sweet for me personally but I can try and rectify that another time. They were not using the gong while I was there and seemed to have turned down the overhead music that someone else mentioned.

I found the service being a little too friendly but again this was their first day. I will be interested in seeing where it all stands in a month or two. The food overall was pretty middle of the road. Of course due to the create your own meal that is as much as my fault as theirs. I find this to be another place I will probably go to only if in the area and not go out of my way for.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 am

We went to the lunch preview on Friday. It was average to good. The food looked fresh and they had lots of sauce choices. They served a choice of brown or white rice, but the small bowl was not nearly enough for 4 diners. (They did bring more when it was requested) I discovered pieces of rotini, onion, water chestnut and shrimp that I had not put in my bowl that ended up on my plate. The sauces I tried - Mongolian and peanut - were tasty. The food was not hot enough temp-wise for my taste. The service was good.

I'll try Shah's (or whatever it is) on down Hurstbourne next time.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 20, 2008 10:00 am

Michele Cull wrote:I'll try Shah's (or whatever it is) on down Hurstbourne next time.

Shah's (formerly 2 Hahn's) is locally owned and operated. BD's is a chain. This should make for some interesting compare-and-contrast reviews.
no avatar
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

by thommy browne » Tue May 20, 2008 1:27 pm

MikeG wrote:I went yesterday on my lunch. I didnt have time to mess around and sample different sauces so I just had the Kung Pao. The sauce was a little too sweet for me personally but I can try and rectify that another time. They were not using the gong while I was there and seemed to have turned down the overhead music that someone else mentioned.

I found the service being a little too friendly but again this was their first day. I will be interested in seeing where it all stands in a month or two. The food overall was pretty middle of the road. Of course due to the create your own meal that is as much as my fault as theirs. I find this to be another place I will probably go to only if in the area and not go out of my way for.

Did they have tofu mike?
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Tue May 20, 2008 1:28 pm

I saw tofu there, I'm sure of it.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 pm

thommy browne wrote:
MikeG wrote:I went yesterday on my lunch. I didnt have time to mess around and sample different sauces so I just had the Kung Pao. The sauce was a little too sweet for me personally but I can try and rectify that another time. They were not using the gong while I was there and seemed to have turned down the overhead music that someone else mentioned.

Did they have tofu mike?

Yes sir, it's with the vegetables.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
PreviousNext